• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 317 vs RUGER SR22

I'm thinking about a new plinker and am between the aforementioned and perhaps even an M&P 22c.

I love the Smith 317 and its simplicity and weight (lack thereof!) 8 shots of 22 in probably the lightest handgun package available. Great for plinking, fun, and hiking carry. The obvious con is the $600 price tag.

I have owned an SR22 and found it to be a great gun but a little boring. It's half the price of a 317, and holds more rounds plus is mag fed. Also, if SHUSH passes I'd LOVE a can.

NES, what should I buy?!

andover.jpg I bought the SR22 for my wife when they 1st came out and it's been great. She moved on to a 9mm but my 8 yr old will get it next year.

I can shoot it as good as a Mark series

Last edited:
317 probably costs twice as much but I'd definitely go for that. If you're looking semi, why not a Ruger mk4? It's amazing and I sold my other .22 semi very soon after shooting it.

also, if you want to mount a can, get the 22/45. it's a different class than the SR. way different.

Given just those two, I would go for the SR22. I have never shot the 317 but don't think I would enjoy it that much. I personally much prefer a heavier gun for plinking. If you are itching for a revolver, consider the 10 shot 617 or for a semi you can't go wrong with with a Ruger mark or a browning Buckmark. Mark iii's can be had for cheap in the classifieds and are excellent, even more so after the volquartsen kit is installed.

You are comparing two totally different things here. Sure they both shoot 22lr.......but it's like comparing a minivan and and a Jeep cuz they both burn gas.

Are you going to carry it hiking, plink, or target shoot with it? Those are three different activities and you actually can't have the best of all three in one gun! Guns are tools.....you know you can't rebuild an engine with one socket right?!?!

If you are going to target shoot and plink.....Ruger Mark 3 and be done with it. They can be had for under $300 now with the release of the mark IV. I got mine in March for $225. Best plinker I own. Put a rail and a red dot on it.......best plate shooter you'll find for the money. Mine is very reliable.......lots of bad press about re assemble after cleaning......all I can say to that is YouTube is your friend.

Seriously. If you want a good autoloading plinker and target gun....mark III. Done

Now.....if you are going to hike carry it......I guess an sr22 is ok but they are far less accurate than a good revolver. But how often will you actually carry it? I'mRuger fan....but those sr22s and the like are just garbage in my opinion......made for cheap range fun for people that want the looks of a service pistol or ccw gun and cheap to feed.....so imo an sr22 is just a cheap range toy and that is all.

Last edited:
I have both and the sr22 is more reliable, accurate and easily reloaded.

I'm with the fellow who said the comparison was between apples and oranges. For the record, I have a M34 and an SR-22, and I don't consider either a substitute for the other.

Several years ago, I bought an SR-22 as a training pistol, so that I wouldn't have to worry about students dropping or scratching my good revolvers. I considered it a cheap throw-away.

Since then, however, I've found the SR-22 one of the most fun pistols I've ever owned. The one a bought probably has several thousand rounds through it, without a hitch. The only thing I'd change is replacing the plastic sights with metal ones.

I wouldn't buy a MIMS S&W. If you really want a .22 kit gun, hunt around for a used M34.

I love revolvers, but in 22LR I would go with the Ruger SR22 - I love mine.

The thing is a joy to shoot; I have found that the only thing it doesnt like is Fed Automatch, other than that the pistol cycles all the cheap 22LR flawlessly. I prefer to shoot CCI Mini Mags or AR Tactical because they seem less sooty, but the Rem Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets are cheaper and work fine.

It is the one gun that ALWAYS goes to the range because it is a blast to shoot. I found some inexpensive mags online and I now have five (which all fit in the little travel vault)

I love revolvers, but in 22LR I would go with the Ruger SR22 - I love mine.

The thing is a joy to shoot; I have found that the only thing it doesnt like is Fed Automatch, other than that the pistol cycles all the cheap 22LR flawlessly. I prefer to shoot CCI Mini Mags or AR Tactical because they seem less sooty, but the Rem Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets are cheaper and work fine.

It is the one gun that ALWAYS goes to the range because it is a blast to shoot. I found some inexpensive mags online and I now have five (which all fit in the little travel vault)
Wow because mine works Flawless with Fed Auto Match and actually seek out for them when I go shopping. I save all my CCI stuff

Thanks all for the input. My decision was kind of made for me when I was at a sporting goods store and they had a LNIB 317 for $450 out the door....now for the range review!

Wow because mine works Flawless with Fed Auto Match and actually seek out for them when I go shopping. I save all my CCI stuff

I've had my SR22 for two years now and I love it. Its a great little gun to practice/plink with. Having said that, I only use Federal Automatch with the thing and sometimes I just get a bad brick. This past weekend I went to the range with my 8yo son, and out of 100rds, we had at least 15+failures. Feeding, extracting, stove pipes fail to fire etc...both in my SR22 and M&P22. It was the ammo, not the gun(s). Typically Federal AM is G2G, however this last brick was $hit!

Last edited:
My wife has the 617. Amazing pistol but huge money. Almost a grand for a 22 target pistol? My wife liked it so we got one. Shes happy and you know what they say about a happy wife? I have a 629-8_3/8 and I find the 617 to be built to the same standards. I think the 617 is way over built. Should last several lifetimes. If your looking for an heirloom the 617 is your gun. If you want to have a lot of fun at the range for short money the SR22 will fit the bill. My SIL has a SR with the long barrel kit and he loves it.

SR22 is a toy. If you want a semi at least get a Mark IV. Even a Buckmark. No comparison.

Revolvers are way more money, but definitely nice. 317 or 617 would be a great choice.

Maybe I just got a bad one but it is super finicky on ammo and it is often difficult to extract the spent brass. Needs constant cleaning.

Make sure you try the try the trigger on the 317 . I had one ,wanted to like it but couldn't get past the trigger pull.
I would look for a Ruger Mark II or a one of the Mark series before a SR22

Awww. He already bought before I could suggest a Ruger Single Ten. I’ve got a Single Six and it’s my favorite pistol. Though I think a Bearcat would be great for hiking.

Back
Top Bottom