• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 3" revolvers

Daddy Mac

NES Member
Looking specifically for the opinions of members who own K and L frame revolvers with 3" barrels. I'm looking at the current models available and I'm wondering what experiences people have had. M19 carry comp, M66, 686+,586L comp and others. How effective is the comp at dealing with hot .357 rounds? The Performance Center stamp adds a few dollars over the stock models but if the trigger work was done well it may be worth it. Already have longer revolvers, don't want a snub nose, wondering how people feel about the 3" models. Thanks. Model 60 not out of the question.

I've got a 686+ 3" barrel and love it! The previous owner did a bunch of custom work on it including a trigger job that makes double action shooting sweet. Very accurate and handles .357 rounds well. It's a heavy gun to carry at about 2.5 lbs. (empty) but a decent holster makes it manageable, however it's nothing I'd want to CC/OC on a regular basis. A great woods gun or fantastic range toy but IMO a bit too heavy for EDC. Maybe I'm just getting too old as I'm not sure I'd have a problem EDC'ing it in my younger days... I really love how it feels and handles when I'm at the range and yes, I do enjoy carrying it (for a bit anyways).

Attachments

• S&W 686.JPG
    S&W 686.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 42
In my opinion the k frame comp gun is a daytime shooter. I don't want those .357 flames blinding me at night. I have a 3", L frame, 7 shot, 686, that I like quite a lot. It's accurate and the extra inch of barrel, over the 2", gives me more velocity, to aid expansion. Take a look at the lucky gunner gel tests for the .38+p HST Micro round. It expands to .70 without the .357 recoil.

I have a 3" Model 13 HB round butt, the old FBI issue weapon. It. Is. Awesome. It's what a revolver should be. Easy to grip, easy to point, easy to conceal, easy to shoot.

They're like hen's teeth, these days, but they're out there.

I have a 3" Model 13 HB round butt, the old FBI issue weapon. It. Is. Awesome. It's what a revolver should be. Easy to grip, easy to point, easy to conceal, easy to shoot.

They're like hen's teeth, these days, but they're out there.
have the same one picked up yrs ago when the fbi went to autos; blued i paid $190 for it. great carry gun in a shoulder holster

I've got a 3" 357 fixed-sights Smith. Whatever freaking # that is. Stainless. Says "Lay-day-smiffff" right down the side of it. Because back in 200x when I bought it, S&W didn't make a 3" fixed sight revolver outside of the LS. Maybe it's a 65, now that I think of it.

For all the complaints that S&W made bad guns or bad triggers or Colt was better or there is no QC anymore, that damned S&W works very very well. Great trigger right out of the box. Every so often, when I open my safe, I grab it off the door and dry fire a few times. What a sweet piece.

Back
Top Bottom