S&W 29 options

I remember going to the S&W store attached to their range when the Classic series first came out.
I forget what I was looking at, but I think it was a Triple Lock, I can’t be sure. I was expecting a copy of an original. I was disappointed at the lock, but knew it was there, but I was disgusted at the flat hammer.

I’d go with a used version from the 70s or 80s, before QC went out the window.

I have a 29 “Classic” 6 1/2 in and I completely ignore the lock. Other than screwing up the aesthetics, it has no impact as far as I can tell. I do agree with Hickok45 that the stock grips on the Classic are terrible for shooting magnum loads. I ended up using Hogue Monogrips when I want to shoot full house magnum loads, but they don’t look anywhere near as good as the stock grips, which are fine for .44 special and “lite” magnum loads.

I have the 57 Classic and just ignore the hole too, I got tired of looking for an older 57 or 657 and when I did find one the price was just more than I was willing to pay. I actually find the trigger on this gun better than my pre lock, pre MIM models 66 and 686.

My 627 PC had the internal lock and with magnums it would engage the lock from time to time. Sent it back to S&W and they replaced it but it didn't completely fix the issue. I sold it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ve been doing some research and from what i’ve gathered, the -4 seems to be the most desired vintage as far as the 629 goes. I’ve been leaning in its direction. What should one expect to pay?

Im a 629 fanatic. The one i shoot the most is my 2018 production 6” with half lug. the presence of frame lock ruins the collector aspect of a 29/629 but as a tool for launching 44 mag I couldn’t care less about the lock.

i have not found a 4” barrel particularly fun to shoot. Blast is heavy. With magnum rounds you really need some barrel to burn that powder. i have a 6” ruger Redhawk and HATE it compared to a 629. Feels incredibly awkward whereas the Smith feels refined. night and Day difference.

It’s about time I added this American classic to my collection and I am wondering if the Smith and Wesson gurus on here could help me out.
My heart is set on a model 29 classic; blued with a 4 inch barrel. Absolutely beautiful. The only issue is that I can not get past that stupid key lock.
I also have to opportunity to purchase a model 629-4 pre-lock 3 inch barrel for 100 bucks more and now I am stumped as to what to do. I’d like to have a blued gun and a longer barrel, but that 629-4 was really nice.
Anyone care to help me make a decision? Is the lock, aside from being unsightly, that big of a deal?
What do you want to use it for? Collector value, hunting, target shooting, fire breathing hand cannon?
For higher volume target shooting, a 5" always felt best. Theres something about the balance that just works well. Hunting - I've used both an unfluted 6" classic hunter and an 8-3/8" classic. The 6" is definitely easier for me to handle but both work well. I also have a 4" that probably gets shot the least. Its nice but I don't like it better than the 5" or 3". My 3" 29 and 629 probably get shot the most. Even though the 5" feels the most comfortable to shoot, I still gravitate to the 3" for fun20201225_105315.jpg
The wood grips look nice. Thats about it. Hogue grips if you intend to shoot more than occasionally

What do you want to use it for? Collector value, hunting, target shooting, fire breathing hand cannon?
For higher volume target shooting, a 5" always felt best. Theres something about the balance that just works well. Hunting - I've used both an unfluted 6" classic hunter and an 8-3/8" classic. The 6" is definitely easier for me to handle but both work well. I also have a 4" that probably gets shot the least. Its nice but I don't like it better than the 5" or 3". My 3" 29 and 629 probably get shot the most. Even though the 5" feels the most comfortable to shoot, I still gravitate to the 3" for funView attachment 427254
The wood grips look nice. Thats about it. Hogue grips if you intend to shoot more than occasionally
The collectors bug in me is calling for an older one, but the practical side in me just wants a good all around shooter regardless of age, hence why I gravitate towards a 4 inch classic model. However, those who own the 3 incher that have chimed in speak of it highly, so i really don’t know. They both seem like a good all-arounder, and it would be used as an all around shooter mostly; it also might be carried once in a while when out exploring the woods.
FWIW, the 629-4 3” is $1200 and the New 29 classic 4” is $1,100. Also saw a couple New 629 4” for around $900. Maybe i’m just way overthinking it. Never thought it would be so hard to decide [laugh]

The collectors bug in me is calling for an older one, but the practical side in me just wants a good all around shooter regardless of age, hence why I gravitate towards a 4 inch classic model. However, those who own the 3 incher that have chimed in speak of it highly, so i really don’t know. They both seem like a good all-arounder, and it would be used as an all around shooter mostly; it also might be carried once in a while when out exploring the woods.
FWIW, the 629-4 3” is $1200 and the New 29 classic 4” is $1,100. Also saw a couple New 629 4” for around $900. Maybe i’m just way overthinking it. Never thought it would be so hard to decide [laugh]
My father lent me his 5" when I got my ltc. Now look

If you're planning on shooting it a lot, I'd go with the 4" barrel. More mass to suck up recoil

View attachment 427606View attachment 427607
Decided to pull the trigger on the 629-4 and i’ve been smiling the whole ride home. I now have a sudden urge to don a 3 piece brown suit and ask punks if they’re feeling lucky[smile].
Nice work! Good luck in the search for ammo. My personal favorite factory ammo is UMC 180gr jsp. Target Sports always had it for $26.99. At one point UMC was offering 5.00/box rebates and I stocked up

Nice work! Good luck in the search for ammo. My personal favorite factory ammo is UMC 180gr jsp. Target Sports always had it for $26.99. At one point UMC was offering 5.00/box rebates and I stocked up
Thanks! Yeah I have a couple boxes but wasn’t expecting to be able to find any en mass or at a decent price. Guess i’ll just have to keep my eyes peeled and set some money aside to tool up for reloading if we ever come out of these unprecedented times.

Couldn't help myself. I do like Smith and Wesson .44 mag revolvers. The only ones missing in the gaggle are my father's 5" 629 and his 1972 8-3/8" model 29. Matched with a 1974 marlin 1894 in .44 and a Ruger 77/44, I guess I have to come clean as a .44mag obsessive
20201226_194233.jpg
Although the .444 marlin is interesting 🤔

The 6"scoped classic hunter has taken 6 deer so far

Last edited:
How about a baby 44 a Model 24 in 44 special with 3" barrel It is a Lew Horton Edition only 1 of 5000
(and it's for sale too)

Dan Long
Boston, MA

Attachments

• 20210113_160205.jpg
    20210113_160205.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210113_160426.jpg
    20210113_160426.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210113_160529.jpg
    20210113_160529.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
How about a baby 44 a Model 24 in 44 special with 3" barrel (and it's for sale too)

Dan Long
Boston, MA
I had a Lew Horton Edition I really wanted to keep but was useless to me 😂 not forgetting I have other safe queens.
I really wanted a wood chipper for my tractor more and that paid a good chunk of it.
If I could have found a more powerful load for it I might have kept it.

Back
Top Bottom