• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 1911ES finish wear

ztp

I have a new S&W 1911ES. After my first trip to the range, there seems to be a lot of finish wear on the frame on both the slide rails and the top of the receiver where the recoil spring sits. There was also a bit of powdered metal in the frame when I cleaned the pistol. Is this normal? I've had several S&W semi-autos in the past, but none with a dark finish. I think I would have noticed the powered metal if I'd experienced that before. Other than this, I like the gun, fun to shoot and accurate.

1911es2.JPG

1911es.JPG

Last edited:
my S&W 1911 has similar marks... even some on the slide; i was told it was a frame / slide fitting issue.....

IMO, if the gun is functioning 100% (like mine has), i wouldn't worry about it. i've grown to like the wear marks... [smile]

Thanks for posting this, I have similar wear marks on my S&W 1911 ES. Swell gun though, it's very pretty and I love the combination of commander slide and officer frame [smile]

That is normal. Don't worry about it being uneven. These are production guns with wide tolerances and are put together by assemblers not fitters or gunsmiths. The wear you see is perfectly normal and your gun will shoot and last for almost ever. Just shoot your gun and stop worrying about things you don’t have to worry about.

Last edited:
My ES has the same marks. Just curious, did you have any problems with FTF's from the factory magazines? When I first got mine, nearly every type of ammo would FTF on the last round in the mag. I replaced them with Wilson Combat mags and it has been 100% perfect ever since.

I also had Greg Derr replace the trigger; even though it didn't affect my shooting, I couldn't stand that darn wobbly trigger. But that notwithstanding, GREAT gun!

Mine: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ic-Thread...?p=1566011&viewfull=1#post1566011 (I added Hogue grips)

Last edited:
I have one mag that FTF's on the last round about 50% of the time. I've thought about replacing the trigger, but it doesn't bother me all that much.

i've also got one mag that came with the ES and FTF's the last round, but more that 50% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom