• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 1911, 9mm

Not entirely sure if this is correct, but I wanted one as well and was told by a gunshop that there were no post ban 9mm 1911s approved for sale in MA. However, I can't see why one couldn't just buy a 9mm conversion kit and modify it themself.

I'm assuming you're from MA...

Last edited:
Not entirely sure if this is correct, but I wanted one as well and was told by a gunshop that there were no post ban 9mm 1911s approved for sale in MA. However, I can't see why one couldn't just buy a 9mm conversion kit and modify it themself.

Dooowhaaaaaaaaaat?

I assume he means that there are no 1911s in 9mm that on the list... not sure if that's correct.

is it illegal in MA to swap a barrel out and change magazines? So all the .22 conversion kits are illegal here? Or was the gunshop telling me sweet little lies when I asked them to order one from S&W for me?

Trying to wrap my head around these laws is giving me a headache...

Start here: http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster.pdf

If what you want is on that list he can order it for you, if not, hit the classifieds there maybe one for a FTF transfer. Make sure the store is looking at the most recent list, I was told that a gun I wanted was not on the list when I knew it was because the guy had an old list.

Once you own a firearm feel free to change a barrel and magazine (as long as it is AWB compliant).

Converting a 1911 from .45 to 9mm is not as simple as a barrel/mag swap.

I highly recommend S&W proseries 1911 in 9 mm. This is one of my favorite guns. Add a trigger job to this gun and it is $$$$$$$$. Unfortunately you live in MA.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1) The gunshop owner is an idiot, and conflates the 1998 restrictions on what a dealer can sell with an actual ban.
2) The gunshop owner is trying to steer you towards something he can sell new, and away from something you'd have to buy FTF

Pick one.

is it illegal in MA to swap a barrel out and change magazines? So all the .22 conversion kits are illegal here? Or was the gunshop telling me sweet little lies when I asked them to order one from S&W for me?

Trying to wrap my head around these laws is giving me a headache...

It's not illegal to change out the caliber that way.

I love this forum!

Whoa! Let me clear a few things up: it was an over simplification about converting 1911 to 9mm however I did originally say CONVERSION KIT.

When I wrote ban I meant AG list compliant I do understand the nuance that you can't buy a non AG compliant gun from an FFL but you can buy one from a private seller within MA.

So the question remains is the 9mm from s&w compliant? I can't dl PDF with my phone ;)

As to looking for a private sale of a 9mm S&W within MA, isn't that a lot like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack?

kit - as in new barrel and link with fitting, bushing, feed ramp may need adjusting, slide stop, recoil spring, ejector, extractor, firing pin, magazine. And the breech may be too loose or too tight for the 9mm round.

Here are the approved list of S&W 9mm guns. This came straight from the 7/10/2010 approved list (thanks for the link Edmorseiii).

Smith & Wesson 908 9mm
Smith & Wesson 908S 9mm
Smith & Wesson 910 9mm
Smith & Wesson 910S 9mm
Smith & Wesson 952-1 9mm
Smith & Wesson 952-2 9mm
Smith & Wesson 1911 9mm
Smith & Wesson 3913LS 9mm
Smith & Wesson 3913TSW 9mm
Smith & Wesson 5903TSW 9mm
Smith & Wesson 5906TSW 9mm
Smith & Wesson CS9 9mm
Smith & Wesson SW99 9mm
Smith & Wesson SW9E 9mm
Smith & Wesson SW9G 9mm
Smith & Wesson SW9GVE 9mm
Smith & Wesson SW9P 9mm
Smith & Wesson SW9VE 9mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9 (Mag Safety) 9mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9 (Mag Safety, Internal Lock) 9mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9c 9mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9c (Mag Safety) 9mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9 9mm

kit - as in new barrel and link with fitting, bushing, feed ramp may need adjusting, slide stop, recoil spring, ejector, extractor, firing pin, magazine. And the breech may be too loose or too tight for the 9mm round.
Yup, 1911s aren't plug and play.

Whoa! Let me clear a few things up: it was an over simplification about converting 1911 to 9mm however I did originally say CONVERSION KIT.

When I wrote ban I meant AG list compliant I do understand the nuance that you can't buy a non AG compliant gun from an FFL but you can buy one from a private seller within MA.

There is no "ban." on handguns in MA, outside of the handful that are banned by the MA AWB (eg, like most AR and AK type "pistols". ) In the case of typical handgun compliance, even if a dealer screws up and sells you a non compliant gun, it's not your problem. (This happens infrequently, but it does happen- sometimes dealers act under incorrect information. Even if this does happen, you are under NO OBLIGATION to return the handgun. It still is yours legally. )

The nuances of handgun compliance are a non issue to a licensed MA gun buyer- it's literally not your problem legally. It's a dealer regulation, and its his or her responsibility to deal with it.

What is a problem, from a practical sense, is what a dealer may or may not sell or transfer, and in practical terms, that's up to the dealer. A lot of dealers are worse
than what the law actually requires.

If you are actually interested in the legal mechanics, there is a faq stickied in the in the MA law forum that I wrote about the issue.

-Mike

I highly recommend S&W proseries 1911 in 9 mm. This is one of my favorite guns. Add a trigger job to this gun and it is $$$$$$$$. Unfortunately you live in MA.....

There is no unfortunately about it (well, other than the being in MA part..... that is unfortunate, for any gun owner. ) The 9mm 1911 from S+W is on the list and it is MA compliant. It's possible some dealers down here are saying it isn't or some crap, I don't know... I know that if I had the $1200 or whatever it cost floating around I could run out and buy one. [grin]

-Mike

Remsport might be able to put one together for you if you are not set on S&W. I have been thinking about checking that out because I am looking for one as well.

Colt did offer 9mm conversion kits which came with a slide, barrel, recoil spring, extractor, and magazine. Difficult to find and typically expensive. I did a lot of searching found one and the guy wanted 1,000 bucks for it. No thanks.

1) The gunshop owner is an idiot, and conflates the 1998 restrictions on what a dealer can sell with an actual ban.
2) The gunshop owner is trying to steer you towards something he can sell new, and away from something you'd have to buy FTF

Pick one.

Wrong both ways. Both Para and S&W have 9mm 1911s approved in MA.

I tried that smith pro 9mm at the smith range after our factory tour, I fell in lust.

After some research, I called john at Remsport and he is in process of making one to my spec/taste as we speak. Same kind of money-give or take and you will receive a sweet, well running 1911 that is unlike any other out there.

If you Mass guys can get STI up there, they do make a real nice entry level 9mm for around $600 CT money.

Good luck,
Keri

I was just reading on North Shore Firearms in Middleton's website they are just getting the S&W SW1911 9mm Pro Series for they are now on the MA approved list. I too am looking at this one and was PUMPED to see that. I wonder when the M&P9 Pro Series or M&P9L are getting approved as well.

Back
Top Bottom