S&W 1911 45 acp

Does anyone know the weight of the recoil spring?
The one I have launches brave quite aways and like to find most of my brass in this county. I have a Ruger 1911 that lands my brass in a nice neat pile and would like the Smith to do the same. Thanks for the help.

16lbs there are a few things that will control how far the brass ejects, slide weight, recoil spring, mainspring, firing pin plate radius, ejector angle and length , extractor tension

Called S&W and they use an 18 lb spring but the ejector is shaped differently than the Ruger ejector, so now I have to decide whether to replace the ejector or leave well enough alone.

Leave the gun alone. Brass trajectory is about the worst possible reason to mess with a pistol.

^^this
Some things are best left unfixed, especially if it operates fine and the spent brass looks OK.

Mine throws brass like a mofo too. I do think that the S&W's springs are crap though - made in house! I replaced mine with a Wolff 18.5 and it's been a little better. Still flings em, but the spring quality is much better IMHO.

They may use a lighter hammer spring. Try a heavier still recoil spring or a heavier hammer spring.

I did that with mine and I didn't notice any difference. The first thing I did with mine was replace all the springs (except the mainspring). With the exception of throwing brass really far, the gun is a tack driver!

Back
Top Bottom