• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 1911 3" Pro Series vs "E" series info request

As pretty much "novice" class, I did own a PD before and sold it. I thought it was ok to shoot as far as recoil.

Recoil on the 3" model is about the same, with more blast and flip. I didn't mean to make it sound totally unusable or anything; if I didn't have a nice 3.5", the Pro would probably be my carry gun for warm-weather states. The extra length, I find, makes a difference hiding in the light cargo-style shorts that I favor.

I also run thin-grips, which make concealment even easier, while making recoil somewhat less pleasant, so you can see where my priorities have been.

For cold weather, longer is probably better.
I think you're exactly right. Any chance you can post a pic of the CCO?

I'll post in the 1911 picture thread eventually. I'm a horrible photographer.

Last edited:
Recoil on the 3" model is about the same, with more blast and flip. I didn't mean to make it sound totally unusable or anything; if I didn't have a nice 3.5", the Pro would probably be my carry gun for warm-weather states. The extra length, I find, makes a difference hiding in the light cargo-style shorts that I favor.

I also run thin-grips, which make concealment even easier, while making recoil somewhat less pleasant, so you can see where my priorities have been.

For cold weather, longer is probably better.

I'll post in the 1911 picture thread eventually. I'm a horrible photographer.

If you don't mind my asking, how are you carrying with cargo shorts? I like those in the warm weather too, so am interested in what works.

If you don't mind my asking, how are you carrying with cargo shorts? I like those in the warm weather too, so am interested in what works.

EDIT: Deleted Rambling. IWB: Comp-tac MTAC or CTAC. I prefer the CTAC slightly, but it is less comfortable.

Last edited:
Here's my take based on having carried most of the options we are talkin here. I bought the 945-1 PC because I wanted the Pro but it wasn't legal yet, a week later the Pro was legal for $700. less.. Carrying the 945 was ok, but then I thought a $1700 gun wasn't the best idea to carry, size wise was ok, but still a little bulky compared to my M&P compacts. I then bought a used SW1911sc, basically the 4.25" new 1911E, that was nice I liked, but again, I find myself going back to my M&P's. As far as shooting, the 3" 945 was pretty nasty, you definitely gotta hang on, I liked it. I liked the 1911sc better, not as much hit, very accurate, np carrying it. In the end, I have pretty much settled on my MP40c... for half the dough, it does it all..

One more thing, my choice is a toss up, both of those guns are on my list, my 1911sc is basically the same as the E my 945-1 is very similar to the Pro, which I will also own soon....If I had to choose, think I would get the Pro for concealment, but I think the E would conceal ok too... daaaaaaamn ... I quess I can't pick... get em both... :)

FS out of the E already. I just got the email flyer too. That didnt take long

Thanks for all the info good info guys. I realize the shorter barrel will have it's disadvantages, but for carry it will for the most part be a non-issue. Figuring out in which order to purchase them is probably the real dilemma.

Will report back once I add them to the arsenal

Last edited:
So far I've put 150 rds through my pro series 1911. I didnt find the recoil too difficult to handle although i did notice a bit more muzzle flip than in my full size model which took a little getting used to but not the end of the world. Out of the 150 rds I had 3 ftf's. I didnt really clean it before I took it to the range, so that might have had something to do with it, and I read (i think in this thread) that limp wristing my have been a factor too. I was shooting plates from 15-40 feet. I tend to struggle in general passed 30, but I when I focused I was able to connect out between 40 and 50... not often, but I'm still working on it. In the end I think its a great gun.

Last edited:
Stopped by FS and handled the E. Liked it a whole lot. None on display so I fondled someone's new toy.

However, once I found out it was $1200, I realized I wasn't ready to spend that kind of dough. $1050? maybe. $1200? no. Worth it? Very close!!!!

My bad Jack, I was referring to the two tone and the all black slide/frame

Thanks Boss, thought I missed one... :) they sure look like they are going to give the big name 1911's a run now... I think the S&W 1911 previously were so good, the only "issue" anyone could find to complain about was the loose fitting trigger.. which made no diff.. but for the money they are very nice..

I picked up the Compact Pro Series last week and had the opportunity to take it to the range. I put 50 rounds of Winchester White Box through it without an issue. I also have the full size Pro Series and I actually shot the compact much better. Was shooting from 30 feet at an 8 inch target and could hit it pretty easily.

Recoil was very manageable. It did not feel significantly different from the full size model.

So far I really like it but want to test it more to be sure it functions flawlessly with the TAP ammo.

Last edited:
I also have a pro series and have put about 500 rounds thru it without one problem, Infact yesterday I put 300 if those 500 thru it with a buddy of mine the gun is very accurate for its size. also the recoil is nothing to worry about and smith gives you 2 extra recoil springs with the gun
Recoil was very manageable. It did not feel significantly different from the full size model.

Help me decide !! I'm damn near in love w/ An S&W 1911 pro sub (3") My concern is an old/chronic wrist injury. Some people say the recoil is the same as a 5", some say just the opposite. I have very limited trigger time w/a 1911 but have wanted one for a long time. I've been shooting mostly 9mm and 38. What should I choose ????

i have a Don Hume PCCH and have absolutely no issues with the holster. -aside from entering my car and the occasional reach for the wallet.

it's IWB and holds the gun snug against my body... i just have a nice butt i guess. [rofl]

it has a slight cant... again, no complaints. i have a lot of holsters, from comptac to crossbreeds... my 1911's need nothing! [smile]

i will entertain suggestions

i'm 5' 11" - 185 lbs of bad ass.

I thought you just said you've a nice ass, not a bad ass.....

I had the 3" Pro Series and got rid of it and would not recommend it for the price.

On the plus size it is small lightweight and brings a lot of firepower, accurate and controlable but for me those were out weighed by the cons.

-First as a gun specifically designed for concealed carry I think its a large issue for it not to come with night sights. I paid around $950 and to have to pay another $100 for night sights to fit S&W's proprietary cut did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling toward the people in Springfield.
-Another con that is expected but the flash and the bang from the 3" barrel are immense and in a defensive situation would definately leave those ears ringing for a few days. But that's expected
-Most importantly is reliability 80% of the time the last round in the magazine would fail to feed in such a manner to stovepipe. This was with factory supplied magazines and takes you from having a 6+1 semiautomatic weapon to a five shot with a need to manually clear it before you can effectively reload..... in other words an odd looking revolver.

If you are commited to buying this firearm it could be made to serve you quite well if you spend the extra money for night sights, and wilson combat mags but that means to make this an effective carry weapon you can trust your life to you are going to need to sink another 200-300 into it including a holster.

As for me I traded mine for two used SIGs and never looked back

Last edited:
Just bought a brand new one and shot it for the first time yesterday (after giving it a thorough cleaning). Put about 150 rounds of factory hardball range ammo through it (from four different manufactures).

Only had one failure to go into battery, which I deliberately provoked by riding the slide with too much pressure from my forward thumb. So, if you tend to make contact with the slide with your thumb edge (like me), be sure not to overdo the pressure because it's fairly easy to decelerate the short slide on this gun just enough to cause incomplete chambering.

Accuracy was outstanding for such a short barrel. No problem keeping a run of 7 slow-fire rounds well within a 9-inch paper plate at 50 feet, with an occasional cloverleaf included.

Recoil was very manageable. Felt like I could have shot it all day without any discomfort.

It's still a bit pricey (I paid $940 not including tax); but I feel like I got a superior firearm for the money. Truth is, I wanted this gun so bad that I probably would have shelled out north of $1,000 for it.

Just bought a brand new one and shot it for the first time yesterday (after giving it a thorough cleaning). Put about 150 rounds of factory hardball range ammo through it (from four different manufactures).

Only had one failure to go into battery, which I deliberately provoked by riding the slide with too much pressure from my forward thumb. So, if you tend to make contact with the slide with your thumb edge (like me), be sure not to overdo the pressure because it's fairly easy to decelerate the short slide on this gun just enough to cause incomplete chambering.

Accuracy was outstanding for such a short barrel. No problem keeping a run of 7 slow-fire rounds well within a 9-inch paper plate at 50 feet, with an occasional cloverleaf included.

Recoil was very manageable. Felt like I could have shot it all day without any discomfort.

It's still a bit pricey (I paid $940 not including tax); but I feel like I got a superior firearm for the money. Truth is, I wanted this gun so bad that I probably would have shelled out north of $1,000 for it.

Which one did you get, the 3" Pro Series or the E?

I bought em both, an E series and a 3" Pro from Lew Horton that looks like an E... Haven't got to the range yet, but hope to soon. I'm pretty confident, both will shoot fine as other than a few freak complaints without much effort to rectify, it's been damn hard to find anyone with a complaint about functionality. I do agree, it would be nice to have some night sights, if I really want em, I'll get them, but not too worried, as I use my MP45 with night sights for HD when the lights go out. Kinda like the 10 plus 1... [grin]

SW1911Pro.jpg

1911E.jpg

Back
Top Bottom