s.o.g knives

So I bought an s.o.g knife the other day because I needed a new one for work and I figured maybe just maybe if I pay more than 10 bucks I won't lose it. I like Robert Lee emery I know he used to be part of the add machine for s.o.g so I figured if he was on board they were up to snuff. I know his other major add is glock and I like those lol. Plus I didn't feel like going to a specialty place to look for a high end blade.

I'm not a taticool operator I just need a knife for boxes small holes in sheet rock. To open locked doors and etc. So I bought it Saturday and it felt kinda light and cheap almost to me but it's sharp as hell so I'm okay with it I guess didn't get a good vibe but I pressed it into device monday. Tried unscrewing a torqx head screw didn't suceed but I managed to gauge the blade. Which to me is strike 1 I didn't use a lot of force and the blade gauged so I don't like that. Then I used it to make some holes in the ceiling tiles. Obviously dust got into the locking mechanism and what not. But now the blade grinds and sticks.
My 20 dollar Dewalt knife was a tank until I snapped the blade trying to pry into a door. But does anyone else have an s.o.g am I just expecting to much. I know I should've researched them better but I was kinda in a hurry so I just grabbed an expensive one I've heard of. Also I grabbed the flash two I think not the one they claimed the seals used. So did I buy a cheap pos. Is what I'm asking I guess

Yes, you did. The seal pup is their only offering you can trust. With knives, you really get what you pay for. I bought a cheap ass m Kershaw wave at Dick's, and it holds up surprisingly well, but all I do with it is open cardboard boxes, so that's not a real challenge for any knife.

P. S. Your Latin is horrible. Alea it is, not ales.

Yeah but that's what I use them for unfortunately. The screwdriver thing was rare by prying is part of the job because knifes are so slim

It was my autocorrect not my Latin thanks for catching that though. I like a serrated blade that's why I steered away from the seal pup but I guess I'll try something else. To me a knife is a tool that gets abused until it's replaced so prying doors and using it as a make shift screw driver are part of it's job

Lol I don't think I need that but I want it now

Then I recommend you stay off of their website because you will be wanting much more than that.

How about a titanium spork?
Ti-polished.jpg

Last edited:
I have a couple of SOG's and a SOG EOD Multi tool, have had them all for several years with no problem. When I need a screwdriver, I use the multi tool. I have a Kershaw also and YES I did d the pry thing in a pinch and YES it did snap the tip off. Returned it to Snap On and they fixed it free. Don't matter whose product you have if you use it incorrect it WILL BREAK.

So I bought an s.o.g knife the other day because I needed a new one for work and I figured maybe just maybe if I pay more than 10 bucks I won't lose it. I like Robert Lee emery I know he used to be part of the add machine for s.o.g so I figured if he was on board they were up to snuff. I know his other major add is glock and I like those lol. Plus I didn't feel like going to a specialty place to look for a high end blade.

I'm not a taticool operator I just need a knife for boxes small holes in sheet rock. To open locked doors and etc. So I bought it Saturday and it felt kinda light and cheap almost to me but it's sharp as hell so I'm okay with it I guess didn't get a good vibe but I pressed it into device monday. Tried unscrewing a torqx head screw didn't suceed but I managed to gauge the blade. Which to me is strike 1 I didn't use a lot of force and the blade gauged so I don't like that. Then I used it to make some holes in the ceiling tiles. Obviously dust got into the locking mechanism and what not. But now the blade grinds and sticks.
My 20 dollar Dewalt knife was a tank until I snapped the blade trying to pry into a door. But does anyone else have an s.o.g am I just expecting to much. I know I should've researched them better but I was kinda in a hurry so I just grabbed an expensive one I've heard of. Also I grabbed the flash two I think not the one they claimed the seals used. So did I buy a cheap pos. Is what I'm asking I guess

It sounds like you need a leatherman, not a tacticool knife.

If you insist on carrying the wrong tool though, consider a Spyderco Tenacious or an Ontario Rat. Both of those knives are durable knives that can take an edge, hold an edge, and survive the occasional pry-bar and screwdriver duties that some people insist on doing with knives. Best of all, if you do manage to destroy it, you're only out about $30.

Treat most knives that way and they will fail you. Wrong tool for the job. Get a modular multi-tool so you are more likely to have the right tool with you for the job. Modular so that if you still manage to destroy one component, you can replace just that one and not the whole thing.

I EDC a SOG Flash II, but I'm a desk jockey.. I use it to cut fruit, open boxes.. I'll also use it around the yard, or to open plastic packaging.. While camping, I might whittle some sticks, or use it to cut rope..

For what I do, it's perfect.

Then I recommend you stay off of their website because you will be wanting much more than that.

How about a titanium spork?
Ti-polished.jpg

I actually have that in my GHB. It's really nice.

To the OP, have you considered a leather man or Swiss Army knife? Either one will fail with heavy prying, but the tool options make up for it

Most knife blades are designed for cutting, slicing, stabbing with some specialty blades having other functionalities also.

If you want to undo torx screws without butchering them or the tool, use a torx driver.
You can open some spring-loaded door latches with a knife blade without issue, but using a knife as a prybar is a great way to ruin most knives, particularly folding ones.

If I were you, I'd carry a knife and a leatherman, or one of the many leatherman knock-offs.

Use the right tool for the job.

Treat most knives that way and they will fail you. Wrong tool for the job. Get a modular multi-tool so you are more likely to have the right tool with you for the job. Modular so that if you still manage to destroy one component, you can replace just that one and not the whole thing.

This 100%! Why would you try to use a knife for something where a screwdriver would be the appropriate tool? Having a multi-tool leatherman type thing gives you all the common tools in one small package. Besides, in most cases, using a knife as a screwdriver usually strips the screw rendering it not easily removed anyway even if you do try the right tool later.

It's sorta a break glass in case thing I usually have more tools me at work the knife just comes in handy some time.

Lol sheer laziness but I upset with how easy it dinged the blade. That was more my gripe with using it as a screw driver. I wasn't wrenching it and it wasn't much tighter than finger tight like a half turn and I did the rest by hand. Just comparing the two my cheapo Dewalt wouldn't have taken a piece out of the blade. Yes I realize there are better tools. However that's why I have my tool pouch and my hundred pounds bag in the trunk. A knife just comes out quicker than the multi tools. And if I need the knife part I hate fiddling with the stupid things. Personal work prefence. I usually roll out with 2 multi screw drivers a punch scissors flashlight tape and linesmans 99% of life I can do with just those

It's sorta a break glass in case thing I usually have more tools me at work the knife just comes in handy some time.

So buy a couple of $20 Gerbers at wally world, and beat the hell out of them using them as anything but a knife. God, worse than the dudes who come into my shop bitching that their air cooled motorcycle gets too hot when they sit in traffic while profiling on the strip at Hampton beach. Not what it was meant to do, so don't blame the product, blame the idiot using it. Just don't get pulled over by the staties and light a newport on the way to walmart, that's a proven path to embarassment.

A leatherman wave will do everything you want and more. If you're wanting to carry just a knife and use it for all that stuff you're not supposed to use it for, consider a tanto blade. It'll be kind of crappy for most slicing activities and actual knife activities, but tantos are usually much stronger than a standard clip point blade.

As a point of reference, I like to carry a dedicated folder, multitool, and two other blades i keep for more "social" interactions.

So buy a couple of $20 Gerbers at wally world, and beat the hell out of them using them as anything but a knife. God, worse than the dudes who come into my shop bitching that their air cooled motorcycle gets too hot when they sit in traffic while profiling on the strip at Hampton beach. Not what it was meant to do, so don't blame the product, blame the idiot using it. Just don't get pulled over by the staties and light a newport on the way to walmart, that's a proven path to embarassment.

Brittle blades and a crappy spring mechanism are legit gripes I've never had an issue with cheap knives from wally world other than losing them. The point was to spend a little extra coin and see if that helped me hang onto it longer. Knicking the blade happens i just have never done it with a cheap one so easily. My bigger gripe is the spring assist and locking mechanism are like grinding now that I got it dirty once. I'm just curious if it's a common thing people who beat knives up have noticed with them. Sorry but if I wanted a 50 dollar box cutter I could've bought about 300. I expect my 50 dollar knife to at least be up to par with my crappy ones that I've had in the past. I don't think I'm asking it to cure cancer or open a bank vault. I'm just wondering if it is what it feels like. A cheap pos.

I think I am going to try a Leatherman soon. I always had this thing about them when I was younger I thought they were for old guys lol. Guess I just don't want to admit I'm old yet.

Brittle blades and a crappy spring mechanism are legit gripes I've never had an issue with cheap knives from wally world other than losing them. The point was to spend a little extra coin and see if that helped me hang onto it longer. Knicking the blade happens i just have never done it with a cheap one so easily. My bigger gripe is the spring assist and locking mechanism are like grinding now that I got it dirty once. I'm just curious if it's a common thing people who beat knives up have noticed with them. Sorry but if I wanted a 50 dollar box cutter I could've bought about 300. I expect my 50 dollar knife to at least be up to par with my crappy ones that I've had in the past. I don't think I'm asking it to cure cancer or open a bank vault. I'm just wondering if it is what it feels like. A cheap pos.

My kershaw never gives me anyproblem wit the lock and the spring assist, just give it a cleaning once a month and its fine.

I think this one will be going back and I'll try my hand with kershaw. I know spring assists get dirty after a while but the first time using it and just a little dust sorry I don't think a "special operations group" would approve lol. Never mind an out of shape telecom guy.

The only real downside to leatherman is that it is a chore to open the blade. If you are using it frequently through the day, you want a knife with a pocket clip that flips open easily.

Here is my EDC
3daf388e25a9ec1c3065a0e015a70159.jpg

It's a Benchmade (over a C note) and even it has a slight bend at the tip from when I had to pry something with it. Kind of hard to see
b4f1de1d7e0b4726349e89589d966f9b.jpg

Last edited:
I buy rough riders, kissing cranes and schrade. I buy them as Christmas gifts every year. They get abused and generally last a year or more.

Not bad for 5 - 10 dollars.
I find cheap and expensive (under 15 or more than 200) knives are good. The middle ground is crap.

That's the thing is idk what I'll be using that day so I can use my knife a hundred times a day or not for a week. I always liked Gerbers I just swear I have a voodoo hex the longest I ever had one was like a whole summer before I lost it. I like your bench mark I mitt give that a hold at the store

Love me some kershaw, have more of them than i need (or so i'm told)
Kershaw skyline - light, strong, simple, made in the us (only 4 or 5 of kershaw's knives are if that matters to you)

alternatively, get a cheap schrade. Amazon, $18-$25 depending on the model. I carry an sch3071 at work (builder) most days, cause i really don't care if i eventually break it. Fair warning, they are a little hit or miss on smoothness (could arrive as rather rough openers)
reviews for a couple of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jQol8zE7Qc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHHc3M8YfCU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McYK1jtYKRo

Multitool wise, i carry a SOG Powerlock or a Pocket Power Plier depending on the day (and the pants). Powerlock; bigger, heavier, but the tools lock, whereas the Pocket is mostly there for the pliers (for me). Compound leverage kicks ass with pliers, and they flip open one handed once they wear in. You can actually find them in decent shape at decent prices on ebay (my powerlock came from there)

2015-08-25 21.35.02.jpg
2015-08-25 21.35.29.jpg

i found a well used SOG folder with around a three inch or so straight blade in a field. washed out the dirt, gave it a drop of oil and an edge to the blade. seems pretty durable and handy, i like the thickness of the blade which feels like it would not snap in any self defense use.

Back
Top Bottom