• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S.I. Man Accused Of Illegally Obtaining Handguns

That first article angered the hell out of me. They couldn't of made up facts any better, and inserted their anti-gun opinion any more. Come on. For once, I would like a balanced, truthful report of what exactly happened. Perhaps I'm a dreamer.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/article/gun-collector-arrested-staten-island_529831_1.html

Further investigation disclosed that Bowens had tried to use the internet to obtain handguns from other FFL's in both Texas and Florida. When these dealers asked to see Bowens' gun license, he backed off.

In July 2007, Bowens attempted to purchase a .25 caliber semi-automatic pistol through an internet gun broker Web site. The seller, after viewing Bowens FFL, refused to transfer the weapon to him. Bowens then tried a second FFL in the same manner for two handguns but the results were the same as the first.

Ultimately, a licensed gun dealer in Florida did send Bowens a handgun. In December 2007, Bowens was able to obtain a .357 caliber revolver which he is not authorized to obtain on his C&R license. The Florida FFL was interviewed by ATF and subsequently received a second order from Bowens on March 7, 2008. BOWENS sent a postal money order to R.A.K. Trading Corp., in Clearwater, Fla., in the amount of $260 for two handguns, a .380 caliber and 9 millimeter.

http://www.atf.gov/press/2008press/field/032008ny_guncollector-arrested.pdf

More of the same froim the ATF.

Sounds like there's little doubt as to guilt on this guy.

Fsorrent, you just had to ask that at the right time, while I was looking up the story.

Not that the buyer here was not in the wrong. But, a 380 and a 9mm? Not at all descriptive here as to what was being sold. Were these old guns that might have presumed to have been C&Rs, or even were on the C&R list at one time and removed etc.? Might these have been mismarked by the seller as C&R (but were not)? Could this have been an ATF sting?
There is really not enough detail to (in my mind) know what happened.

Without knowing what he was trying to purchase, it is difficult to get a feel for what is really going on here..

Just because the ATF arrests somebody doesn't mean that the suspect is a victim of government abuse. It seems pretty clear here that this guy broke the law and attempted on more than one occassion to purchase non C&Rs on his C&R.

Oh my! Hundreds of rounds of ammunition and nearly a dozen handguns??? Nobody but government needs an arsenal of that magnitude!

Thank zeus they got this animal! God only knows what kind of mayhem he was planning. [laugh]

Still, the poor guy is stupid for not honoring the terms of his C&R.

This guy is guilty but I can see another side..........

Why can't a person have a dozen firearms and hundreds of rounds of ammunition? I do and most of the people I go shooting with do as well. We like to fire different guns at the range. Each time I go into a gun store I buy a couple boxes of ammunition. When we go shooting we use hundreds and hundreds of rounds. It is fun and it is a great hobby. It is easy to obtain thousands of rounds and there is nothing wrong with it.

Also, the person with the C&R FFL should not be able to purchase a non C&R firearm. It would be the sellers responsibility to not sell him the firearm. People make mistakes. I have my C&R and can easily see a mistake being made especially if the seller was ATF and set up a sting trying to trick me!!!

We have second amendment rights for a reason!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom