• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S/42G Frankenmauser build at 90%

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I have a chance at a decent S/42G K98k barreled action on the cheap with ejector box, front and rear sights, and trigger assembly. My second Mauser was a RC S/42G and I miss it. I was considering a parts build up for a total mixmaster plinker that I could shoot and not worry about anything. In my limited parts stash, I have both long and short trigger guard screws and capture screws, as well as the band spring and a 12" cleaning rod.

I would need the following parts: serial numbers and Waffenampts do not matter.

1. a flat butt plate stock (laminate, set up for a 12" cleaning rod) with butt plate and bayonet lug; RC is OK, but I'd rather not have to go through the stripping process.
2. a hand guard (laminate)
3. milled rear band
4. milled front "H" band
5. milled trigger guard, with floor plate, spring, and milled follower
6. a complete blued K98k bolt; RC OK

Would any of my MilSurp friends have any of these parts?

Thanks,

T

Last edited:
I was given a link from MAC1911 that gave me most of what I need, save bolt and trigger guard, spring, and follower.

T

Just found the rest; now I have to get the action.

Last edited:
I won the auction tonight for the S/42G barreled action. Bore is dark and counterbored, but good overall. Lots of early parts on it. All the parts are en-route. I have a flat butt plate laminate stock coming (to take the original 12" cleaning rod I have), milled trigger guard assembly, and early WaA'd RC bolt. I'm $550 into the project; not super, but not too bad either.

I forget, what's a good way to remove the RC finish to get to the original underneath?

http://s470.photobucket.com/user/majspud/slideshow/S42G build

T

Last edited:
I won the auction tonight for the S/42G barreled action. Bore is dark and counterbored, but good overall. Lots of early parts on it. All the parts are en-route. I have a flat butt plate laminate stock coming (to take the original 12" cleaning rod I have), milled trigger guard assembly, and early WaA'd RC bolt. I'm $550 into the project; not super, but not too bad either.

I forget, what's a good way to remove the RC finish to get to the original underneath?

http://s470.photobucket.com/user/majspud/slideshow/S42G build

T

That doesn't really look like it has some type of finish on it? My RC is standard blue?
Noticed What looks like a light import stamp on left side of barrel.
550$ if it turns out to be a good shooter your in good shape.
I'm pissed for not grabbing a few RCs a while back for 200$

I should have kept the S/42G RC I got for $300 back in '09, but I let it go in order to move up to a bolt mismatch. The stock set hasn't arrived yet, but I'm going to sent it back and exchange it for a hardwood set. More correct and it will look better once I have it cleaned up with several coats of Tung oil on it.

T

Last edited:
If you don't find a milled trigger guard assembly.I have a stamped one with winter trigger guard.

I should have kept the S/42G RC I get for $300 back in '09, but I let it go in order to move up to a bolt mismatch. The stock set hasn't arrived yet, but I'm going to sent it back and exchange it for a hardwood set. More correct and it will look better once I have it cleaned up with several coats of tung oil on it.

T

More correct maybe but some of the laminated stocks look good. That red hue from the glue. Send me some pics if it's nice enough I might buy it from you save you shipping it back. I also didn't know they had a hardwood option?

I have a full milled TG set on the way from a K98k forum member. I also got the bolt from him.

T

- - - Updated - - -

More correct maybe but some of the laminated stocks look good. That red hue from the glue. Send me some pics if it's nice enough I might buy it from you save you shipping it back. I also didn't know they had a hardwood option?

They do have a hardwood option upon request.

T

I soaked my first RC in paint thinner and the Rusky cold blue came off within a few minutes and left very nice blue underneath. It was a BNZ 41.....

My parts kit for the hardwood stock came yesterday. Included for $169.10 shipped was what's in the pictures, save the 10" cleaning rod. I also have a left over Israeli sling I'll use along with my 4 TG screws. The stock has very faint droop eagles, and vertical stamped numbers on the butt stock like a Yugo, not horizontal like a RC. Metal and wood should clean up nicely. I'm going to swap out the speed milled front band for an 'H' band, but otherwise I've everything I need save the TG assembly and bolt which hasn't arrived yet.

Wood will be cleaned with soap and water, then mineral spirits. Several coats of Tung oil should bring out a wonderful red-brown finish. The metal will will be disassembled and soaked in Kroil.

T

Last edited:
Two more major parts came today; the bolt and the TG assembly. The RC bolt body is an early droop wing 63 Obendorf, as is the cocking piece. The safety is actually a correct K167, and the extractor is an e/37 Sauer. The trigger guard is an e/280 Erma, and the floor plate is an e/26 Lubecker.

In looking at the parts kit, I found the take down shaft is the smaller 25mm style, while the washer is the larger 30mm Sauer type. I've emailed the company is they'll exchange the washer as the droop wing 63 Obendorf stock has the small washer cut out.

T

Last night I put the stock and hand guard in the bath tub and gave it a gentle scrubbing in hot soapy water and a Scotch-Brite sponge pad. Fortunately there was no shellac to worry about; only some caked grease in the inner recesses of the stock. After, I wiped the stock down with simple green and dried it off. Lastly I wiped it down with mineral spirits and used an old .45 bore brush to get the gunk out of the small places. As I test fitted the parts, I noticed there was a large delamination along the grain running into the right side take down opening. I forced the split layer up, added wood glue, and let it set overnight in an adjustable C-Clamp.

When I came home tonight, I gave the stock its first coat of pure Tung oil. I also put the metal parts into a plastic quart bag with Kroil to clean them up. The bolt and trigger assembly are clean and need no work save a little oil in the bolt. With the stock dry, the Trigger group fit perfectly.

Metal came out just fine with a light soak. Very nice condition parts, really. I've a correct H-band in the way.

T

Just found out the parts kit did not come with a cleaning rod lug; had to order that one.

Last edited:
Build continues. Stock is done with 4 coats of Tung oil. I have fitted the cross bolt, the bayonet lug, and 1/2 of the take down washer. The nose cap needed a lot of fussing and reaming the wood to get the pin in. I had to grind 1mm off the spring band and ream the wood to get it to fit properly. Found out that this early stock has had its 10" cleaning rod lug hole filled and moved back to the 12" position. Butt plate is fitted. The speed milled front band only slides on 1/2 way, but that doesn't matter as I'm waiting for the "H" band, as well as the cleaning rod lug, and of course, the action itself.

T

Last edited:
H band came today. It was so tight it barely went 1/3 of the way on. I used two different sized grinders and a polishing head on the Dremel and I can now slide it to the bayonet lug pin with finger pressure. A wooden mallet will get it the rest on the way to the band spring pin.

T

Tim I lost the link you provided to me on getting the masters to shoot better. Just thought I would jar your memory it was very helpful to me. I enjoy shooting the k98 at the cmp vintage matches now.

Most of my accuracy improvments came from playing with action screw tightness.

I didn't use any shims because I need to be cmp legal. In the end with my mauser with my 200 grain reloads I found 50 inch lb up front and 35 inch lb on rear did wonders.

Last edited:
I checked the head space of the bolt in another K98 and it passed. Bad news is that you can't engage the safety. I swapped out the safety from another bolt and you could move to the vertical position, but not all the way right. Looks Like I need to get another cocking piece and safety.

I wonder if I could grind a little off the curved side of the safety to relieve the pressure...nothing to loose.

T

Last edited:

I found a tiny burr on my RC k98. A quick fine file and little super fine Emory cloth and it was good to go

Last edited by a moderator:
We're 90% done. Action came today - 686k. Bore is good up to the counter-bore. I wiped the metal with mineral spirits after testing a hidden spot, and only rust came off. I finished with CLP; no further action needed. Stripped and cleaned the ejector box and trigger/sear (matched droop/6 - can't find that code). Rear sight is original and matches the action on all pieces 686. Action drops into the stock with no shimmy at all and a slight float at the muzzle = perfect. Bolt passes the field gauge test.

All that's left is the take down washer, cleaning rod lug, and a cocking piece and safety that work well together.

T

Any one have a small sized take down washer? XXX did not have one, and is sending my large one back. Just the washer, not the washer/sleve combination piece.

T

Last edited:
Cleaning rod lug came today. After grinding it down to shorten it so the cleaning rod could bite, I was able to marry the action and the stock. Barrel floats nicely at the bayonet lug, and there is daylight under the front band. We're shootable, but I still need a small take down washer. My new cocking piece and safety should be here tomorrow.

T

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom