S. 150 ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN IS NOW PUBLISHED

`(B) the importation for, or sale or transfer to a licensee under title I of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 for purposes of establishing and maintaining an on-site physical protection system and security organization required by Federal law, or possession by an employee or contractor of such licensee on-site for such purposes or off-site for purposes of licensee-authorized training or transportation of nuclear materials;
Wtf are they nuclear rifles this makes no sense?

`(B) the importation for, or sale or transfer to a licensee under title I of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 for purposes of establishing and maintaining an on-site physical protection system and security organization required by Federal law, or possession by an employee or contractor of such licensee on-site for such purposes or off-site for purposes of licensee-authorized training or transportation of nuclear materials;

No, Nuclear Regulartory Commission requires sites with Nuclear fuel material / reactors to maintain certain levels of physical security, including armed personal with automatic weapons. They need the exception to allow civilian guards at nuclear facilities.

To ensure that the right to keep and bear arm is not unlimited???How can a person sworn to support and uphold the constiution even concider this?Sounds like treason to me...

they are probably getting ready for the next NES build party [rofl]

Here is my letter to my senators. Feel free to copy and send to yours:

Dear Senator <Senator's Name>,

I am writing you today to voice my opposition to Senator Feinstein’s “Assault Weapons Ban of 2013” Senate Bill 150 (S.150.IS). This ill conceived legislation attempts to vilify many of the most popular modern semi-automatic sporting rifles, handguns and shotguns. According to the 2004 study by the University of Pennsylvania funded by the National Institute of Justice, so-called “Assault Weapons” account for less than 5% of all gun crime and fewer than 2% of homicides, yet the Department of Homeland Security describes these as “ideal for personal defense” requesting a proposal to supply their personal with 7,000 select fire (capable of fully automatic fire) versions.
In addition to banning “Semi-Automatic Assault Weapons” a term coined in the late 1980s to associate modern sporting firearms that fire a single round with each pull of the trigger with the automatic and burst fire capable “machine guns” used by military forces across the world, this bill seeks to ban “large capacity ammunition feeding devices”. As misguided as the ban on modern sporting rifles is, the ban on large capacity feeding devices is more dangerous for the safety of the general public. While criminals rarely fire more than 10 rounds (less than 3% of all criminal shootings recorded in NJ during the UofPenn study period involved 11 or more shots) firing more than 10 shots in self-defense is much more common. For example, in 2011 25% of New York City police shootings with aggressive advisories involved 11 or more shots, and while criminals bent on causing terror and destruction commonly carry additional magazines to allow for rapid reloading, very few self-defense situations allow for the effective reloading of magazines. In both Columbine (which occurred under the original assault weapons ban) and Virginia tech, most of the magazines used were 10 round or less. Expert review of both Aurora, Co and Newtown, CT have concluded that 10rd magazine limits would not have affected these shootings because the 1-2 second pause between magazines would not have allowed for an effective response without an armed civilian available to engage the shooter. Ten round magazine limits drastically reduce a law-abiding citizens ability to defend themselves while having almost no impact on gun violence or homicides.
Additionally, while S.150.IS allows for the future sale and transfer of grandfathered firearms, it bans the future sale or transfer of currently legally owned magazines. Banning the future sale or transfer of billions of dollars’ worth of legally purchased and privately owned merchandise, including military relics and artifacts.
Finally, the US Constitution’s Second Amendment enumerates the natural right of every US citizen to keep and bear arms for personal protection and defense. The Constitution invokes the “militia”, which at the time, and as defined by many state’s includes not only the organized militia of the state, but every able bodied male citizen and any resident prepared and willing to defend his community, county, state or country from invasion, oppression or tyranny. Consistent with that assertion, the US Supreme Court decision of the US verse Miller in 1939 concluded that the Second Amendment protected any firearm in common use with a military purpose. A definition which no one can argue semi-automatic sporting rifles meet.
This over-reaching bill must be strongly and publically opposed and defeated by the US Senate, both in representing the will of the people and in upholding their oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America. I am calling upon you, as my duly elected representative to the US Senate to call for a motion to Kill S.150.IS with a roll call vote, even before it is referred to committee for evaluation.

Respectfully yours,
<Your Name>

..."While criminals rarely fire more than 10 rounds (less than 3% of all criminal shootings recorded in NJ during the UofPenn study period involved 11 or more shots) firing more than 10 shots in self-defense is much more common. For example, in 2011 25% of New York City police shootings with aggressive advisories involved 11 or more shots, and while criminals bent on causing terror and destruction commonly carry additional magazines to allow for rapid reloading, very few self-defense situations allow for the effective reloading of magazines. In both Columbine (which occurred under the original assault weapons ban) and Virginia tech, most of the magazines used were 10 round or less. Expert review of both Aurora, Co and Newtown, CT have concluded that 10rd magazine limits would not have affected these shootings because the 1-2 second pause between magazines would not have allowed for an effective response without an armed civilian available to engage the shooter. Ten round magazine limits drastically reduce a law-abiding citizens ability to defend themselves while having almost no impact on gun violence or homicides."

Do you have references for these stats? I'd be interested in including them.

Thanks.

Page 97, Figure 9-2 for the attacks with more than 10 shots fired. The NYC-PD report is from their 2011 Firearms discharge report. 36 aggressive advisary attacks, 9 involving 11 or more shots fired.

Table 9-4 on page 101 is also very good, it shows increases and most of the metrics used to evaluate the effectiveness of bands on large capacity magazines. Victims per gun homicide incident, wounds per gun homicide victim, % of homicide victims with multiple wounds and % of non-fatal gunshot victims with multiple wounds.

Here's the pannel's review of the Virginia Tech shooting. I don't have the exact reference to their evaluation of the effect that large capacity magazines had, but it's not in their "Key Findings" section. Official Site of the Governor of Virginia

- - - Updated - - -

"Assault Weapons Ban:" because you can't kill ANYBODY with an M1 Garand...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

"Assault Weapons Ban" Beause 98% of criminal firearm homicides are committed with OTHER firearms...

Anyone notice that the Mini-14 is on the exempt list?

Pretty funny since that gun was used in one of the most well known shoot outs in recent US history.

The thing I do not like the most about it is the way there going about trying to pass it.

I could be wrong but it looked from the way the news talks about the AWB ban bill, it looks like they might try to combine it with or pass it along side of new immigration laws,

Anyone notice that the Mini-14 is on the exempt list?

Pretty funny since that gun was used in one of the most well known shoot outs in recent US history.

Ruger Mini-14 Tactical Rifle M-14/20CF is banned

Ruger Mini-14 w/o folding stock is exempt

Ruger Mini-30 (with or without a folding stock) is exempt

So, I can have a mini-30 with an adjustable length of pull stock, pistol grip, threaded barrel and a granade launcher and I'm still O.K.

Ruger Mini-14 Tactical Rifle M-14/20CF is banned

Ruger Mini-14 w/o folding stock is exempt

Ruger Mini-30 (with or without a folding stock) is exempt

So, I can have a mini-30 with an adjustable length of pull stock, pistol grip, threaded barrel and a granade launcher and I'm still O.K.

Yup. I think I just heard the Mini series jump in price.

Received a response from Senator Reed:

Knowing of your interest in gun safety, I write to update you.
Like all Americans, I was shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. Our deepest condolences go to the families of the children, teachers, and staff killed in this deadly shooting. My thoughts and prayers are with the families affected by this unfathomable tragedy. Such senseless violence shatters the sense of security that should exist in our communities.

As a graduate of the United States Military Academy and a former officer in the U.S. Army, I respect firearms and appreciate responsible gun ownership. I also recognize the role of hunting and other sporting activities involving guns, and believe firearms should be accessible to law-abiding citizens.

However, I believe we can, and must, do more to reduce gun-related crimes that shatter the lives of too many Americans. Throughout my tenure in Congress I have supported and proposed sensible gun safety legislation which I believe is consistent with the Second Amendment and recent Supreme Court rulings on this matter. The goal of such legislation has been to prevent potentially dangerous people, such as convicted felons or individuals with a history of mental instability, from buying or otherwise obtaining firearms. Currently, I am a cosponsor of:

• The Gun Show Background Check Act, which would close the loophole in federal gun laws that allows criminals to buy firearms at gun shows, defined as any public event where 50 or more firearms are offered for sale;
  • The Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which would ban the manufacture and sale of ammunition magazines that have a capacity of more than ten rounds of ammunition, the kind that made the tragic shootings in Newtown, Aurora, and Tucson so lethal;
  • The Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act, which would provide the Attorney General with discretionary authority to deny the transfer of a firearm or the issuance of a firearm or explosives license or permit when a background check reveals that the purchaser is a known or suspected terrorist;
  • The Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act, which would effectively ban the online sale of ammunition except to licensed dealers; and
  • The Assault Weapons Ban, which would prohibit the sale and manufacture of assault weapons and ban high-capacity ammunition magazines.

I was pleased that some of these proposals were included in President Obama’s recently-announced plan to help reduce gun violence. Further information is available on the White House's website athttp://go.usa.gov/4NXVNow is the time | The White House.

The events in Newtown and elsewhere have also brought greater attention to our nation’s mental health care system. Throughout my tenure in Congress, I have worked to ensure that individuals with mental and behavioral disorders have access to the treatment they need. I introduced the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act Reauthorization, which would authorize funding for youth suicide prevention efforts, and I am an original cosponsor of the Mental Health First Aid Act, which would authorize funding to train personnel on the front lines, like police officers and teachers, on how to help individuals in need. I also helped author the recently introduced Excellence in Mental Health Act, which would improve the treatment that Community Mental Health Centers provide.

Your thoughts are valuable to me, and you can be assured that I will keep them in mind should legislation regarding gun safety or mental health come before the full Senate for consideration.

As always, do not hesitate to write, call, or visit my website, http://www.reed.senate.gov/www.reed.senate.gov, in the future for information regarding this or any other matter.

Sincerely,

Jack Reed
United States Senator
http://reed.senate.gov

Why are there exempt lists for bolt/lever/pump action guns. The law itself exempts them. Are they double-exempt?

Why are there exempt lists for bolt/lever/pump action guns. The law itself exempts them. Are they double-exempt?
That's so they can come back later after the dust settles and propose an amendment buried in some 20,000 page bill:

Modify chapter 3,897,436, section 837, paragraph 15.537, line 56(a) by removing the words bolt, level and pump.

Back
Top Bottom