• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RV living

Woke up a day ago and no hot water. I have the Oasis system by ITR and it's outstanding. Just no hot water this one brisk morning. I went on bypass mode and got kinda hot water and did some troubleshooting. Bad circulation pump. Spoke with the ITR people and they were incredibly helpful and overnighted a new pump to me. About an hour of work, mostly spent unloading and loading basement goods and the pump is in and hot water returns. Easy to work on with just basic hand tools.

The discussion re green, not green members.

I'm green because I get value back, mainly in the form of advice or legal information and sometimes just "my car's broke, how do I replace the gonkulator?"

Non green members sometimes get s**t on for being so audacious as to speak when their betters are present.

But sometimes those non green members DO have something to add to the conversation. We have a population here that's incredibly diverse. I can ping people for idea related to my 1911, my hiking plans for the summer or even the RV I'm thinking of getting in a year or two. Some of us frequent a dozen different sites to satisfy their varied interests. Should they become paid members at each one?

TLDR: If a new forum is/was created for a topic that isn't sensitive, keeping it open to non green members is likely to enhance the content there, not detract from it.

Never quite understood the attraction and wisdom of having one of those 40'+ coaches just what does Mrs. Huge Dollars do when the Mr. vapor locks ?

My wife and I have boiled things down a bit. No truck mounted campers - too small. No trailers because I can't drive anymore (long story) She'll be driving, I'll be navigating / communicating. We're looking at either a Thor compass - Ford transit AWD chassis ecoboost power, or a Winnebago Navion - MB Sprinter chassis & power. Both have a one piece roof. I'm leaning to the Thor for the AWD if we're out late fall up north it could come in handy. I have no intentions of going off road with either. Both are a Class C and have enough room for us both. Should be interesting.

We have a Mazda with AWD and it is great for traction but it has its drawbacks.

They can’t be towed four down or even two down and the tires must be the same size, within a narrow range, so a flat that takes out a tire creates a problem. If you need to replace a tire you must replace all 4 or have the new tire shaved down to match or you risk taking out a differential.

I would think that this will be the same for a motor home but it’s worth considering and asking. Take a look at the owners manual if you can and read the towing section.

Bob

They can’t be towed four down or even two down and the tires must be the same size, within a narrow range, so a flat that takes out a tire creates a problem. If you need to replace a tire you must replace all 4 or have the new tire shaved down to match or you risk taking out a differential.
That's a common issue with many AWD setups. If you follow the 5-way tire rotation (assuming a full-size spare) in the owner's manual then you get one freebie.

As for towing your grocery getter, the right answer to that is obviously this beast:

From today’s Wall St Journal.

Attachments

• D390B312-4E71-43E8-AB1B-228BE5E4D629.jpeg
    D390B312-4E71-43E8-AB1B-228BE5E4D629.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 59
2021 is in the books and I've been having a great time in the rig. The RV 'resort' (using that term loosely vs other places I've been) is nearly at capacity for winter tenants. The heat pump and furnace have done a great job in keeping the coach warm during the cool nights we've had but I added a Little Buddy heater with 15# tanks to keep it running occasionally when I want it quieter at night. I keep a window cracked so as to not CO myself. I'm keeping track of my electrical usage and it's pretty reasonable; generally speaking I run the HP or Furnace or LB overnight and then turn it off in the morning as I have a site that has direct sunlight. There were several nights that I didn't run anything and considered opening teh windows because it was so warm. Anything over 70 inside and it doesn't feel comfortable. I keep the sewer line disconnected and dump it ever 3-4 days or when the grey water gets full. The heated hose works well and the hot water from the system is great. Much better than the travel trailer from last year. Overall, it's all good. I was walking around talking to people in the same shorts, hoodie, and flip flops I wore back in early November. This likely won't be permanent, but for now, it's pretty comfortable and enjoyable living.

or reviews on:

cell phone boosters

directional cell antennas

telescoping ladders

iridium

electric v manual dump valves

and other -important- stuff

or reviews on:

cell phone boosters
Don't have one.
directional cell antennas
Don't have one. Have a Verizon jetpack that I've been happy with.
telescoping ladders
Looking at a Little Giant but don't have one.
iridium
Don't have it.
electric v manual dump valves
Only have had manual. No issues.
and other -important- stuff

The heat pump and furnace have done a great job in keeping the coach warm during the cool nights we've had but I added a Little Buddy heater with 15# tanks to keep it running occasionally when I want it quieter at night. I keep a window cracked so as to not CO myself.
Do you have a working carbon monoxide detector?
If not, one day you're gonna have a real quiet night.

P. S. I call dibs on your guns.

One of you Operating RVers will have to explain
this Brave New World to me where an RV
doesn't even come with a legit propane heater built in to it.

Even our 1968 tent camper had one,
let alone our 1972 19' trailer...

Do you have a working carbon monoxide detector?
If not, one day you're gonna have a real quiet night.

P. S. I call dibs on your guns.

One of you Operating RVers will have to explain
this Brave New World to me where an RV
doesn't even come with a legit propane heater built in to it.

Even our 1968 tent camper had one,
let alone our 1972 19' trailer...
I have two. Also have one that displays ppm on the floor next to it and it hasn’t registered above 3ppm. It’s an all electric coach.

Showhauler makes some mean looking 4x4s off a Class 6 chassis. I drove a few but unless you're out west with vast areas to cover, it's tough to justify out here.

addcc04d3d32eda37cf4e82323a7a650-jpg.559811
That first step is a doozy.

That first step is a doozy.
Getting a Deuce is easy, there are a few companies that restore them.

A Bobbed Deuce goes for around $27K with a bunch of work done to it. Not bobbed is cheaper.

I am not sure how much a camper to put on top would cost. Maybe $40K? + $10K for additional work?

So, under or around $80K. A lot cheaper than many smaller campers.

I am not sure how much a camper to put on top would cost. Maybe $40K? + $10K for additional work?
I have to wonder whether truck campers' value decays faster than trailers,
motorhomes, minihomes, or fifth wheels. They always struck me as
a pain in the ass (and cramped), and when you don't like your RV and don't use it,
the shine must come off the sneaker pretty fast.

Don't know whether they become unserviceable uncommonly fast, though.

All in all, the used truck camper market might be interesting...

I have to wonder whether truck campers' value decays faster than trailers,
motorhomes, minihomes, or fifth wheels. They always struck me as
a pain in the ass (and cramped), and when you don't like your RV and don't use it,
the shine must come off the sneaker pretty fast.

Don't know whether they become unserviceable uncommonly fast, though.

All in all, the used truck camper market might be interesting...
Title is "RV living" - I would assume people are interested in something they will spend a lot of time in, maybe live full time in it.

I hate RV almost as much as I hate cruise ships and electric vehicles. For similar reasons, with many, you are stuck. Example: Stuck only being able to park in certain places or spend extra time planning trips because of the nature of the vehicle. I dont know if I would be able to live in one, maybe if I was alone.

I would only have a small RV for hiking and mountain biking. Basically, drive somewhere nice for 4 days, ride bikes, hike, then drive back home. Maybe even use it for shooting competitions, be able to go further away without having to rent hotels. But the Latina wife is not into this and I can't randomly dissappear enough times to justify it.

.. truck campers' ... always struck me as a pain in the ass (and cramped), and when you don't like your RV and don't use it, the shine must come off the sneaker pretty fast.
Title is "RV living" - I would assume people are interested in something they will spend a lot of time in, maybe live full time in it.
I added up my family's traditional schedule some years ago,
and I have more than a thousand nights camping; the vast majority
in RVs. And none of that was "full-timing", "child of construction worker",
"my house burned down", "Google pay doesn't cover a Silicon Valley studio apartment",
"Wally Byam Mexican caravan addict", or any other traditional way of racking up time.

I hate RV almost as much as I hate cruise ships and electric vehicles. For similar reasons, with many, you are stuck. Example: Stuck only being able to park in certain places or spend extra time planning trips because of the nature of the vehicle. I dont know if I would be able to live in one, maybe if I was alone.
The nature of the vehicle.
Scotty.png

I would only have a small RV for hiking and mountain biking. Basically, drive somewhere nice for 4 days, ride bikes, hike, then drive back home. Maybe even use it for shooting competitions, be able to go further away without having to rent hotels. But the Latina wife is not into this and I can't randomly dissappear enough times to justify it.
Put her in in a tent for enough weeks during Adirondack rainy season,
you might be surprised at her new-found flexibility.

You need to convert her from "Latina wife" to "Wife of a Latino".
longlongtrailer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom