RV living

I worked with a woman a few years ago that did just that. she got permission from the company to put her rv in the back lot, out of the way. she could use an electrical feed and had access to water, courtesy of the company. she could also go around to the front door to get use of the bathroom if she didn't want to use the facility in her rv. no shower though, had to use the one in the rv. sweet set up, I thought our company went above and beyond in the generosity. she did this for a couple of years.

I knew of a woman at work who commuted in a small RV for nooners with her (also married) co-worker. No showers for them either, this was 25 years or so before on-site gyms.

I knew of a woman at work who commuted in a small RV for nooners with her (also married) co-worker. No showers for them either, this was 25 years or so before on-site gyms.
817cTuxbqXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Title is "RV living" - I would assume people are interested in something they will spend a lot of time in, maybe live full time in it.

I hate RV almost as much as I hate cruise ships and electric vehicles. For similar reasons, with many, you are stuck. Example: Stuck only being able to park in certain places or spend extra time planning trips because of the nature of the vehicle. I dont know if I would be able to live in one, maybe if I was alone.

I would only have a small RV for hiking and mountain biking. Basically, drive somewhere nice for 4 days, ride bikes, hike, then drive back home. Maybe even use it for shooting competitions, be able to go further away without having to rent hotels. But the Latina wife is not into this and I can't randomly dissappear enough times to justify it.
Some guys do up the back of Tacoma's real nice. Not sure if many are living in them, but they can drive out to the middle of nowhere and hunt, fish, hike, etc and have a place to sleep out of the elements.

This guy put an insane amount of thought into this

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-SAWuaRlw

It figures, my wife went and looked at (&in) a host Cascade truck camper without me just when I thought she had settled on a class C. Hopefully she'll make up her mind by March.

Title is "RV living" - I would assume people are interested in something they will spend a lot of time in, maybe live full time in it.

I hate RV almost as much as I hate cruise ships and electric vehicles. For similar reasons, with many, you are stuck. Example: Stuck only being able to park in certain places or spend extra time planning trips because of the nature of the vehicle. I dont know if I would be able to live in one, maybe if I was alone.

I would only have a small RV for hiking and mountain biking. Basically, drive somewhere nice for 4 days, ride bikes, hike, then drive back home. Maybe even use it for shooting competitions, be able to go further away without having to rent hotels. But the Latina wife is not into this and I can't randomly dissappear enough times to justify it.

I was told by a Latino that Latinas are expected to do as they're told.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be politically incorrect.

I meant to say: I was told by a Latinx that Latinxs are expected to do as they're told.

We're supposed to use 'x' now, not o's and a's. I read it on the internet.

Saw that.

Steve actually buried the lede.
Considering his automotive expertise,
it was a gaping hole in the story.

The RV/camping fad during the 70's was absolutely killed
by the energy crisis. No one could afford to fuel a motorhome
(or a big tow vehicle).

Small example: Back in the day,
Golden Beach Public Campground in Raquette Lake, NY was
open until the end of the deer season. By the end of the season,
there was quite possibly no running water, and definitely only the dry toilets.
But you could rent a site in September, October, November, ...
Now it slams closed at 12:00 noon on Labor day.

Biden* is totally gonna solve Winnebago's backlog,
and sooner rather than later.

Saw that.

Steve actually buried the lede.
Considering his automotive expertise,
it was a gaping hole in the story.

The RV/camping fad during the 70's was absolutely killed
by the energy crisis. No one could afford to fuel a motorhome
(or a big tow vehicle).

Small example: Back in the day,
Golden Beach Public Campground in Raquette Lake, NY was
open until the end of the deer season. By the end of the season,
there was quite possibly no running water, and definitely only the dry toilets.
But you could rent a site in September, October, November, ...
Now it slams closed at 12:00 noon on Labor day.

Biden* is totally gonna solve Winnebago's backlog,
and sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I was wondering if/when high fuel prices would impact this surge in demand.

Yeah, I was wondering if/when high fuel prices would impact this surge in demand.
I remember in 08 people abandoning RV's on Campsites and leaving boats adrift in the water because they couldn't afford payments after the housing crash. Fuel prices started that whole thing as well.....no one wanted those fuel suckers.

When the thing cost you the price of a hotel to drive 150 miles. not including the campsite price, maintenance, taxes, insurance, etc.....tough be considered worth it. Unless your using it stationary alot. And eventually like cars, it will be a depreciating asset.

I remember in 08 people abandoning RV's on Campsites and leaving boats adrift in the water because they couldn't afford payments after the housing crash. Fuel prices started that whole thing as well.....no one wanted those fuel suckers.

When the thing cost you the price of a hotel to drive 150 miles. not including the campsite price, maintenance, taxes, insurance, etc.....tough be considered worth it. Unless your using it stationary alot. And eventually like cars, it will be a depreciating asset.

Hopefully it will bring these insane prices back to reality.

Bob

Some guys do up the back of Tacoma's real nice. Not sure if many are living in them, but they can drive out to the middle of nowhere and hunt, fish, hike, etc and have a place to sleep out of the elements.

This guy put an insane amount of thought into this

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-SAWuaRlw

I've seen some good jeep builds too. Ive slept in mine, I can fit a small air matrress in the back folding down just the double seat. I haven't done more than a couple nights but I have enough left over space to probably be able to comfortably pack for a week without needing to add all the fancy bins and stuff

209BBDFB-D9B8-42CC-B0E7-94A2CED8D8CB.jpeg
I’ve been here since 2009 and this is the first time I’ve scean this part of NES?
My plan is to sell the house and move into the above camper. I would be there now if it wasn’t for the lack of availability of new trucks. I need a new one as my 2008 GMC regular cab 4x4 6.0L 3500 pick up only has a tow rating of 12500lbs! If I was to buy a similairy equipped truck today the tow rating would be close to 30k! Back in the day pick ups didn’t have the tow ratings they have today. My camper weighs 18000lbs. I pulled this unit back to MA from NY with my current truck. Not a single problem. I bought my 08 new. I checked every towing box there was save one. That one was the diesel. If I had added the diesel the rating would go to 15500lbs. So still a no go. On the bright side I didn’t pay the 10k for the diesel and still not have the rating I need. My truck has 4.11 final drives that are not available in any truck GM builds today. I have to go with the Ford but I’m not going to pay 100k+ for it! Before Covid I would get emails from Ford offering me 12k off any Super Duty in the lot! I’m going to wait until they have Super Duty’s up to their ears and discounting the snot out of them.

Im only about 12 hrs into this idea, so bear with me if its off the wall or if there's something obvious that Im missing.

Long story short, Im living on the North Shore and working just outside of Boston on the north side. Ideally, like a lot of people here I would guess, Id like to have a place in NH. Prices in Southern NH seem to of caught up to prices in MA suburbs, at least on the North Shore. Aside from that, a lot of SNH is still too urban for me. My dream home would be more rural with enough land to shoot a rifle on at rifle distances, along with space for growing veggies, maybe some chickens, and just not having a neighbor 50' away. At the very least Id need the rifle and rural part.

Exchanged a few emails with a NH realtor along with a budget and was told Id need to be further up to achieve that, which takes me out of commuting distance from work. So I got an idea in my head about buying an RV, some land up in central or northernish NH and staying in the RV at work M-F and driving home Fri night. Id be living in the RV full time so the land in NH would probably have some sort of parking area with a hook up to a well and septic, maybe a barn or some sort of out building but no actual house.

There's a lot at work where I could park and they would probably be ok with that. Could possibly run a hose for water and maybe an extension cord for electricity. Im single, no kids, no pressing family obligations so no real impediments to this from that angle. So questions...

-Is there anything about this that is an obvious deal breaker that Im missing?
-Do people live in RV's in this part of the country year round?
-Is it possible to stay in one for 5 days and nights in a parking lot with limited or no outside amenities like electricity or a sewage hookup?
-Im thinking a 2-ish hour commute on Mon morning and again on Fri night beats an hour and 15 minutes twice a day for 5 days a week.
-In the end, does it sound cheaper to just buy a house and drive back and forth? Used RV prices seem to be all over the place. (ive only been looking since last night so I may be off on this) Not looking for a trailer or a Guns N Roses tier full blown bus. Something used, mid-sized and preferably in need of some interior work or minor repairs.

As I said Im only a few hours into researching this, but wanted to throw it out to the NES brain trust to get a feel if its something that makes sense doing. Sorry for the long post and tia.
Live out of an ‘04 Winnebago year round, $300 a month on the loan, $450 for land. Off grid, run everything off generators. Shoot me a DM if you’d like some tips.

I've seen some good jeep builds too. Ive slept in mine, I can fit a small air matrress in the back folding down just the double seat. I haven't done more than a couple nights but I have enough left over space to probably be able to comfortably pack for a week without needing to add all the fancy bins and stuff
If I can pack for a week using just a backpack that weights well under 40lbs, you should be able to pack for a lot more than a week using a Jeep.

Unless you want to bring your living room with you and feel like you are at home everywhere.

8-10 year life for a rubber roof and $8-10k to replace 🤔

All my campers had/have aluminum roofs [smile]

Back
Top Bottom