• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rusty Remington Clone - The EXQUISITE restoration

I'm skeptical of the story. Looks like it was coated in clay. Assume it was dropped into water hence, the clay and an anoxic environment, the wood grips would still be there. The rust is very light with no pitting suggesting an anoxic environment.

A great opportunity for a nice rust blue was staring him in the face. All that was needed was to card off the rust.

And, DAMMIT, use the correct screw driver!

I’ve wasted so much time draw filing, masking markings, using shaped sanding blocks, preserving screw holes, ensuring squareness, etc., I wish I had known about angle grinders

If the was real the screws wouldn't come out so easily or without marred heads if the gun was soaked in Kroil or similar for a week.

I'm skeptical of the story. Looks like it was coated in clay. Assume it was dropped into water hence, the clay and an anoxic environment, the wood grips would still be there. The rust is very light with no pitting suggesting an anoxic environment.

A great opportunity for a nice rust blue was staring him in the face. All that was needed was to card off the rust.

And, DAMMIT, use the correct screw driver!
Did he ruin any. I am sure you could do better.

All experts and craftsman
It does not take an expert or a craftsman to recognize a bad nose job, shoddy body work or a bad paint job. In this case, there is plenty to suggest that this was not the rust encrusted trashed gun it was made out to be.

Birchwood Casey Perma Blue paste.

How well would that hold up over time, especially when used to refinish the entire gun?

I've only used cold bluing for touch ups.

He should have sent it off to a smith, and had it done right, but I guess then it wouldn't have

been a complete from start to finish DIY restoration.

It does not take an expert or a craftsman to recognize a bad nose job, shoddy body work or a bad paint job. In this case, there is plenty to suggest that this was not the rust encrusted trashed gun it was made out to be.
It read rusty and nothing more. You all are just making it a bigger deal. Please go and read video desperation !!!!

How well would that hold up over time, especially when used to refinish the entire gun?

I've only used cold bluing for touch ups.

He should have sent it off to a smith, and had it done right, but I guess then it wouldn't have

been a complete from start to finish DIY restoration.
It's not as robust as a 'traditional' bluing...and traditional bluing isn't very robust. It needs care as it is iron oxide. Rust bluing and hot salt bluing is a surface conversion process that forms a layer of magnetite...the bluing. Cold bluing is a deposition process. It's difficult to get an even finish with cold blue. For large areas I prefer a black oxide. Either needs to be oiled or coated for any longevity.

Back
Top Bottom