• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rust in gun barrel

My pistoils barrel begin to rust , it have a bit of brown rust in it, what type of chemical you guys use to clean it out?

Attachments

• 20210921_125659.jpg
    20210921_125659.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 132
Unless you are using corrosive ammo or storing the gun in extremely high humidity, it is very unlikely rust. From the picture it looks much more like a very minor copper fouling.
A nylon brush and some Hoppes should clean it up.

Last edited:
Stainless steel barrel, thank 4 the quick responds guys, ill clean it out with the chemical.
It would be as well to ignore it, I think. I have Patch-Out to remove copper fouling. I bought the bottle when I was just getting into shooting as a hobby. I almost never use it. Last time I used it was on my 357 Henry Big Boy maybe a year ago when I noticed that there was an order of magnitude more copper than what your barrel is showing. And even then, I only cleaned it enough to get it back down to something more like what yours is showing, not to get rid of all traces. But that's me.

Bro, choot it.
The bullets will clear that sh*t.
20200730_173733-jpg.403925

... found my can of gun cleaner, this should do it
20210921_164822-jpg.525426
snl-tv-prop-colon-blow-cereal_1_bfb12559639d04faca4d603d6c579636.jpg

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner.

Sounds like snake oil, is actually the real deal. Amazing stuff. It's not steel wool, it's a proprietary alloy containing stainless steel, nickel silver, monel (a corrosion resistant nickel based alloy), and zinc.

My pistoils barrel begin to rust , it have a bit of brown rust in it, what type of chemical you guys use to clean it out?
When stainless rusts, lets just say its always on the largest polished surface and its more of a WTF moment.

I don't think its rusted. The only times when rust in a bore shows up is when people shoot corrosive ammo (black powder or smokeless corrosive primers) and don't clean properly or the gun's stored improperly in humid environments without lube in the barrel.

Copper fouling is fairly easy to ID. If your cleaning patches are coming out blue or green, that's an indication of copper fouling. When you start putting a lot (thousands) of rounds down a barrel, you'll want to try a more intensive cleaning regimen. I've used Big 45 like @mibro mentioned in conjunction with Bore Tech solvents to clean out an especially dirty Ishapore 1940 SMLE barrel. Hoppe's regular solvent or just gun oil isn't potent enough to remove copper fouling in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom