Russian's halting export of 7.62 ???

The story is looking to be completely false on the stopping the exports....

On the other hand what IS true is that yesterday most, if not all, distributors ran out of 7.62....

Retailers still have some and for the most part they are completely unaffected at this point.

We' will have to wait and see what this upcoming week brings for supply and if it does replenish and at the same cost

My folks still have plenty of x39 in 640 round spam cans. I just grabbed 2 more cans today to throw on the big pile. I'm not buying anymore though until the panic is over. I don't need the ammo and I don't want to add to the panic buying that IS going on. I paid $130.00 per 640 can if anyone is interested.

My folks still have plenty of x39 in 640 round spam cans. I just grabbed 2 more cans today to throw on the big pile. I'm not buying anymore though until the panic is over. I don't need the ammo and I don't want to add to the panic buying that IS going on. I paid $130.00 per 640 can if anyone is interested.

There is STILL panic buying of 7.62X39 ammo going on? I haven't bought 7.62 ammo in almost 2 years, but I thought that the prices were getting back to normal? Hope that Putin doesn't eff this up for us.

My source is officially sold out of all cheap x39 ammo. They only have 4 500 round cases of some brass plated ammo. Man those 60+ cases sold pretty damn quick.

The 5.45x39 they have, both corrosive and noncorrosive, doesn't seem to be selling very quickly.

Last edited:
I was at the gun shop today. They told me the distributor called and said: get as much 7.62 as you can, it will probably dry up.

F***

Anyway, I think that Putin story is total BS.

Last edited:
Was at Trader Johns today to grab some ammo. Two guys buy 5 cases of 1000 ct. 7.62x39.
Ummmm. Busy weekend ? Or is this just the beginning of the frenzy.? The site I use for ammo usually carries 2-300 cases of random 762. They have 4 left. I'd say it is happening. Regardless of wether or not it's founded on fact.

Go ahead. Give me reason to hoard some ammo! Lol

I blame this thread for making me order another 1K rounds that I really do not need.

Part of me hopes that they send me an email in the morning, saying their inventory wasn't up to date over the weekend. Another part of me wants to order another case.

Either way, I'll never run out during my lifetime.

I just think this shows the short-sightedness of people in general. Instead of only buying ammo when a range-trip is planned, why don't most people just buy a box or two every week or two? That way you pick up a little at a time and it fits the budget, these shortages won't happen and the LGS would be very happy turning over stock. Stock wouldn't collect dust until there is a scare, and people would have their preparedness quotas filled, simply as part of their responsibility as American citizens. But since our society hasn't followed the vision of the founders, we get this nonsense.

I just think this shows the short-sightedness of people in general. Instead of only buying ammo when a range-trip is planned, why don't most people just buy a box or two every week or two? That way you pick up a little at a time and it fits the budget, these shortages won't happen and the LGS would be very happy turning over stock. Stock wouldn't collect dust until there is a scare, and people would have their preparedness quotas filled, simply as part of their responsibility as American citizens. But since our society hasn't followed the vision of the founders, we get this nonsense.

That is exactly what I do! I can't really buy cases of ammo without pissing off my wife for spending so much at one time, but I just grab 3-4 boxes of whatever ammo I feel the need to add to stock whenever I'm browsing in any gunstore, Dick's, Wallyworld, etc. I've found that it adds up quicker than I shoot it by doing it that way, and I'm never making a big impact all at once on our finances. I just use whatever petty cash I have on me, or sometimes use a debit if I have to spend more than I happen to have. I refuse to pay full retard prices though, so if it's too high, I just pass altogether since I am never out of ammo completely.

Because some people can afford to buy cases of ammo and choose too. I'm the type of person who is not satisfied with one or two hundred rounds of ammo. When I buy a gun, I like to have at least a case of ammo on hand... usually two or more. When I use a case or so, I'll buy or reload another. Why? Because I can. Not to be an ass, but in all honesty, I don't care what the other guy has for guns or ammo. I care about what's in my inventory.... and it's worked well for me so far. A while back I picked up over 3k rounds of CCI Standard Velocity for my bullseye gun. A few weeks later the shit hit the fan and it's been very hard to find since. Now I have under 2k rounds left (after I bought an additional 1500 rounds over the bullseye season) and I pick up more whenever I can... at a reasonable price that is. Maybe I'm part of the problem with the ammo shortage, but at least I have ammo. Other people do not. Yeah, I feel bad for them but that's their problem.

When I heard about a possible 7.63x39 shortage I went to my source and bought another case. I have plenty right now, but I want to be safe. I don't shoot my AK that often, but I want to have the luxury of doing so when I please and not having to pay $7+ for a box. FWIW, as of yesterday my source is bone dry. I got mine at a reasonable price and that's all I care about.

Because some people can afford to buy cases of ammo and choose too. I'm the type of person who is not satisfied with one or two hundred rounds of ammo. When I buy a gun, I like to have at least a case of ammo on hand... usually two or more. When I use a case or so, I'll buy or reload another. Why? Because I can. Not to be an ass, but in all honesty, I don't care what the other guy has for guns or ammo. I care about what's in my inventory.... and it's worked well for me so far. A while back I picked up over 3k rounds of CCI Standard Velocity for my bullseye gun. A few weeks later the shit hit the fan and it's been very hard to find since. Now I have under 2k rounds left (after I bought an additional 1500 rounds over the bullseye season) and I pick up more whenever I can... at a reasonable price that is. Maybe I'm part of the problem with the ammo shortage, but at least I have ammo. Other people do not. Yeah, I feel bad for them but that's their problem.

When I heard about a possible 7.63x39 shortage I went to my source and bought another case. I have plenty right now, but I want to be safe. I don't shoot my AK that often, but I want to have the luxury of doing so when I please and not having to pay $7+ for a box. FWIW, as of yesterday my source is bone dry. I got mine at a reasonable price and that's all I care about.

I don't blame you a bit! If I could get away with doing that (and not end up in divorce court), I'd be doing the same damned thing!

Not to sound like an a hole- but if you're buying wolf, tula or brown bear at wal mart per box, you are getting turbo boned price wise

Buy bulk from on line dealers- I have shit i havent even touched since ordered in 2008 sent to NH friendly addresses

Because some people can afford to buy cases of ammo and choose too. I'm the type of person who is not satisfied with one or two hundred rounds of ammo. When I buy a gun, I like to have at least a case of ammo on hand... usually two or more.......

Nothing wrong with that my friend. If you have the means/budget that allows for it, more power to you. Believe me, most of the posts in this thread, I've heard it all before in my past hobby. All the whining and complaining about scalpers and hoarders, and the truth is most of the people riding in the Whaambulance would be stocking up right now if they could.

My buddy down in North Carolina just found out one of his co-workers has a massive firearms collection. Lots of full auto and even a cannon, all housed in his very own bunker. More power to him. I have no problem with anyone who has the ability buy whatever they want, whenever they want.

I just thought I'd share a strategy for those people who seem to be causing these runs on ammo when they should already have plenty of stock on hand.

Last edited:
Thankfully the tinfoiler crap hasn't spread too far. (yet, at least) When I was up in VT today the show dealers still had 7.62 x 39 around... price wasn't the best but wasn't terrible, if it was true full retard panic mode it would have been gone.

-Mike

Not to sound like an a hole- but if you're buying wolf, tula or brown bear at wal mart per box, you are getting turbo boned price wise

Buy bulk from on line dealers- I have shit i havent even touched since ordered in 2008 sent to NH friendly addresses

Exactly! This is what I tell fellow shooters and also my fiancé lol. Yes I'm spending more money up front, but buying cases at a time I'm saving money compared to buying 20-40 rounds at a time. There are so many places to buy ammo in bulk whether online or gun shops in NH, it's not hard to do.

In the same day (yesterday) on NES, I'm reading this:
Ammo is a "loss leader" for Walmart. They mostly sell it to get men who probably wouldn't otherwise come in to the store to walk in and look around.

And this:
Not to sound like an a hole- but if you're buying wolf, tula or brown bear at wal mart per box, you are getting turbo boned price wise.

So which is it? Is Walmart selling us its ammo at a loss? Or is Walmart screwing us price-wise? It can't be both, can it? [thinking]

I have priced it both ways, by the case, and per box at my lgs, and while there is a savings, it isn't as dramatic as you make it sound in most cases. I know it is much cheaper by the case with some online places, but finding one that ships to MA isn't that easy generally and certainly cuts down your abilities to "price-shop". Then you also have to factor in shipping and the hazmat fee, so at the end of the day you may be building your stockpile a lot quicker, but you aren't saving big money. The method I employ costs a bit more, but it is spread out such that I keep most of my money in my account rather than feeling a big pinch all at once. Like I said, if my wife wasn't so financially conscious of my hobby spending habits, I would probably do what you suggest just for the instant gratification, but my method works well for me, at least for now...

After reading this entire thread I think I'm going to oil up my -47 and put it in the back of the safe and crank out a 1,000rds of .223 on my dillon and just use my AR for a while

After reading this entire thread I think I'm going to oil up my -47 and put it in the back of the safe and crank out a 1,000rds of .223 on my dillon and just use my AR for a while

Good plan! Too bad there isn't a cost effective way to reload 7.62x39. If this export ban does become real though, it may open up a new market for companies to jump into with brass cases and other reloading stuff.

I have priced it both ways, by the case, and per box at my lgs, and while there is a savings, it isn't as dramatic as you make it sound in most cases. I know it is much cheaper by the case with some online places, but finding one that ships to MA isn't that easy generally and certainly cuts down your abilities to "price-shop". Then you also have to factor in shipping and the hazmat fee, so at the end of the day you may be building your stockpile a lot quicker, but you aren't saving big money. The method I employ costs a bit more, but it is spread out such that I keep most of my money in my account rather than feeling a big pinch all at once. Like I said, if my wife wasn't so financially conscious of my hobby spending habits, I would probably do what you suggest just for the instant gratification, but my method works well for me, at least for now...

There is a Hazmat fee on ammo? I've never been assessed one. I've seen them for components (powder and primers), but not complete cartridges. Does your online supplier charge you one?

if you got charged a hazmat fee, you got boned.

Material marked "ORM-D" and shipped by surface transportation does not require hazardous shipping papers, simply an ORM-D and proper shipping name marking on the box.

maybe they charged him a sticker application fee?

There is a Hazmat fee on ammo? I've never been assessed one. I've seen them for components (powder and primers), but not complete cartridges. Does your online supplier charge you one?

I'm sorry, I guess I was confused about the hazmat fee relating to all ammo, not just reloading supplies - my mistake.

Back
Top Bottom