• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Russian Udav

Not secure web site! Just for a reference:
Handgun Udav developed not as substitute for Makarov — designer

MOSCOW, February 28. /TASS/. Russia’s newest handgun Udav was developed not as a substitute for the Makarov pistol (PM). They have different functions, the CEO of the company that designed the weapon, TsNIITochMash, Albert Bakov told the daily Izvestia in an interview.

"Udav and PM are different. They are meant for coping with different tasks. PM is a peacetime weapon for police patrolling the streets. Udav is a powerful combat gun with far greater fire power," Bakov said.

Only the contractor, the Defense Ministry, is in the position to make a decision to replace all Makarov guns with Udavs in the Russian Armed Forces. In his opinion the Udav fully matches the military’s expectations.

"We met all terms of reference," Bakov said.

The self-loading handgun Udav uses a powerful 9x21 mm cartridge. Entirely Russian-designed and made of Russian parts and components, it has a sighting range of 50 meters and an 18-round magazine.

The Udav has passed government certification tests and been recommended for standard use. New special ammunition has been designed for it. TsNIITochMash plans to deliver standard military, special and civilian configurations of the weapon.

The weapons’ parameters will be competitive with those of Colt, Glock and other foreign counterparts, Rostec’s press-service said on Thursday.

"The civil version will be adjusted to the requirements of professional athletes. Its parameters will be competitive to those of such renowned firearms brands as Colt, Walther, Heckler&Koch, Glock, Browning, CZ and others," Rostec said.

The corporation has plans for creating an export version of the civilian Udav. The press-service said "it will retain the firepower, accuracy, ergonomic design and small weight."

View: https://youtu.be/wuhdukWBJho

Last edited:
The 9x21 cartridge it uses will allow it to be sold in countries that prohibit the civilian possession of handguns chambered for 9mm Luger, .45 ACP and .40 S&W, such as Mexico and Italy.
I never understood those prohibitions. None of those cartridges are any more killier than any other ones of similar specs. And in this case, 9x21 seems like it would be a bit more killy than 9mm (x19) luger.

I never understood those prohibitions. None of those cartridges are any more killier than any other ones of similar specs. And in this case, 9x21 seems like it would be a bit more killy than 9mm (x19) luger.

Euros control barrels, bolts, magazines i.e a lot of shit you can buy in states easily. They want total control over ammo suuply and whatever can shoot it.

It doesn't seem like that lol. It is that 9x21 is some cool stuff you can get a bullet moving

Euros control barrels, bolts, magazines i.e a lot of shit you can buy in states easily. They want total control over ammo suuply and whatever can shoot it.
The logic seems to be that you will not be able to use stolen police and military ammunition against government forces during an insurrection. No, I don't agree with such thinking at all. If insurgents capture ammunition from government armories, they will almost certainly have stolen the entire stock of firearms from the same armories.

The logic seems to be that you will not be able to use stolen police and military ammunition against government forces during an insurrection. No, I don't agree with such thinking at all. If insurgents capture ammunition from government armories, they will almost certainly have stolen the entire stock of firearms from the same armories.

moving ammo and guns legally and on the black market are two different matters.

I think it's simpler than that. Idiot politicians want to make sure that the unwashed can't have the same stuff that cops and soldiers have so they make laws saying that the the unwashed can't have the same stuff that cops and soldiers have. Writing laws that say the unwashed can't have better stuff than cops and soldiers have is too hard (due to the subjective element) for them where things like cartridges are concerned.

[rofl][laugh2]
European politicians should know by now that they are the one who remain to have no clue:

View: https://youtu.be/tOmTuPrSFog

I think it's simpler than that. Idiot politicians want to make sure that the unwashed can't have the same stuff that cops and soldiers have so they make laws saying that the the unwashed can't have the same stuff that cops and soldiers have. Writing laws that say the unwashed can't have better stuff than cops and soldiers have is too hard (due to the subjective element) for them where things like cartridges are concerned.

.....so unwashed go for a short vacation to Slovakia where they purchase few Kraft Orchids Specials and some "for display only" weapons of the mass destruction. [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom