• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Russian SKS value

Ok, I know little about SKS's except I want a Russian at some point.

I found a 1954r SKS with all matching numbers except the rear buttplate which is electropenciled with the correct number. The bolt, receiver, mag and triggerguard all have the same number. The rifle is blued and not that black paint that some have that I have seen. The bluing looks good except for a few small scratches here and there. The bolt looks good but the charging handle top looks slightly odd, like the curved area has a strange pattern to it, not a clean machined look. The crown on the barrel is shiny but has a couple dings on the curved part like the rifle was stored upsidedown. The dings are not near the rifling. The laminate stock has some proof marks in it and a couple dings here and there as well as some flaking of the shellac.
The rifle is also a CAI import although I did not see the import stamp.

$395 a fair price for this? Anything I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Some of the '54's came through with the Lam stock as original - more common on the '55. But if you can talk him down just a little - $350? I doubt that you could go wrong. The black BBQ's are breaking $300 on a regular basis now.

Look for a 1 inside a triangle on the side of the receiver. That indicates German use and brings a little more value. Other than that, check the gas tube and make sure there isn't a bunch of rust in there. Some people shot corrosive ammo like crazy through these and few cleaned the gas tube.
You can remove the tube for inspection by flipping the lever thats below and to the right side of the rear sight upwards so the beveled side of the pin allows the tube to clear and lift up and out.

17.jpg

Back
Top Bottom