• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Russian SKS disconnector issue

Disconnect not long enough, ie not pushed down enough by bolt

background A while back i picked a russian 1955 that was in good shape showing little use. all numbers matching except trigger guard.
the trigger guard is stamped and figured someone allong the way swaped it for original milled trigger guard and trigger group.
the stamped one had realy bad negative sear engangement so i learned about the trigers their operation and bought a few sears and did a nice sear engancemen/ttrigger job
all was well, but i said i would buy a milled trigger group if i came across one.

So over Christmas i bout a Yugo trigger group from apex for 105 shipped. the thing shows little wear listed as "very good"
I gave a good cleanning, pulled sear out, it has proper slope, and installed it all back in the riffle.

it will drop the hamer the first time when i put it together.
if i cycle the bolt it apears to reset the hammer, however if i pull the trigger, the hammer partialy drops some times.
you can tell/feel that the trigger is trying to catch the sear.
if i push down on the disconnector a little more works just fine

I guess i need to take it fully apart and see if anything stuck in there.
what should i look for?
can this be adjusted or do i need to find a new longer disconnector?

Thanks

It may need another cleaning. It sounds like the disconnector is moving enough to allow the trigger bar to partially engage the sear.

Also check to see if the rear tang area of the trigger group is seating properly. The Yugo latch pin is generally larger than a Russian latch pin, and the trigger housing is generally beefier. So there may be some fitment issues to consider.

Martin08 thanks for the reply

i pulled it apart and removed hammer and spring and gave it a look.
what must be happening is that it is actualy to long.
the trigger bar is going under the sear.
the sear has a rabbit on the bottom on the same side of sear/hammer engangement surface.
depth is about the same as thickness of the trigger bar.
a search of the web shows sears of both types
wrong sear?

Found the problem, the disconnector is bent, must of been droped at one point. i layed the disconnector over another trigger group alinging the pin hole and heal of the diconnector. The angle was much steeper and tip was back and of course up.
I think call Apex tommorow.

Back
Top Bottom