Russian Secretive Spy unit (Linked to Russian Special-Forces) paid Bounties to Taliban Militants to Attack and Kill US troops

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Fox News is reporting:

A Russian spy unit paid members of Afghanistan’s Taliban movement to conduct lethal attacks on U.S. troops in that country, according to a classified American intelligence assessment, people familiar with the report said. The assessment of the role played by Russia’s military intelligence agency, the GRU, in fostering attacks on American soldiers.

The Top Secret Intelligence assessment regarding Russia’s actions in Afghanistan was delivered to the White House earlier this spring, and until recently had been known only to a handful of officials.

At issue is a secretive unit of the GRU that, according to Western officials, has conducted sometimes clandestine lethal operations against Moscow’s adversaries. The unit is believed to be made up of former Russian special-forces troops.

Last edited:

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Didn't the mujahideen get stinger missiles from the US while fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan up until the early 90's?
Yup.

OP, these Taliban were trying to kill US servicemen anyway, for free. When some GRU schmuck showed up in the boonies and opened his wallet, WTF were they supposed to say? Nyet?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh. The Soviet Union didn't attack the USS Liberty, didn't have spies high-fiving each other while taking group photos with the towers burning in the background, didn't trick us into attacking Iraq and Russia isn't one of our largest recipients of foreign aid. Just to keep it in perspective.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Trump pushes back on NY Times report on Russian Afghan attacks, says 'nobody briefed' him, Pence

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably fake news. Fox is MSM. In the 1980's SOF magazine ran full page ads for donations that said 'Buy a bullet zap a Russian invader' No idea if anyone donated or if the money actually made it to Afghanistan. For cripes sake the US gov't has supported our enemies during war.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Probably fake news. Fox is MSM. In the 1980's SOF magazine ran full page ads for donations that said 'Buy a bullet zap a Russian invader' No idea if anyone donated or if the money actually made it to Afghanistan. For cripes sake the US gov't has supported our enemies during war.
Yeah that happens from time to time too

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I for one am pissed off. The Russian government is really evil. The things they have been doing in Ukraine are sickening, and they are basically just doubling or tripling down on
spreading hate and fear in the West via social media. A bunch of stupid reposts on NES area testament to how successful they are. Oh, and poisoning their dissidents who crossed their dictator or his buddies, in other countries. The US may do dirty tricks in foreign policy but I really want to believe we are not just torching the world like the Russian gov't is.

If people here are saying there is some kind of moral equivalence in our government to what Russia has been doing, then to hell with the US. I really hope we don't have
troll farms posting propaganda trying to promote race wars and destroy civil society in other democracies.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Intel just reported to me that they did not find this info credible, and therefore did not report it to me
Reminds me of when I worked for Prime. Insider trading based on a takeover bid known only to the board at the timing of trades, but declared not to be "insider info" since the traders claimed it "lacked credibility".

Classification is often to hide things from the public, so the citizenry does not demand action contrary to the administration's desires. The is only the most recent example --- another was the secret bombing of Cambodia in 69-70 - all our enemies knew when it was being hid from the US voters.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of when I worked for Prime. Insider trading based on a takeover bid known only to the board at the timing of trades, but declared not to be "insider info" since the traders claimed it "lacked credibility".

Classification is often to hide things from the public, so the citizenry does not demand action contrary to the administration's desires. The is only the most recent example --- another was the secret bombing of Cambodia in 69-70 - all our enemies knew when it was being hid from the US voters.
It could be true but you have to have facts and I wasn't there so I don't know.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't the mujahideen get stinger missiles from the US while fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan up until the early 90's?
Yes, they did. In fact, it's even more hilarious because of the list of enemies we helped put in power. A partial sampler:

- Saddam Hussein (he was installed with CIA help in 1979)

- The Shah of Iran, who was so pro-Western he got overthrown by the religious conservatives

- Mujahideen (including over $250 million in cash to the family of one Osama bin Laden, because the enemy of my enemy is my friend!)

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I for one am pissed off. The Russian government is really evil. The things they have been doing in Ukraine are sickening, and they are basically just doubling or tripling down on
spreading hate and fear in the West via social media. A bunch of stupid reposts on NES area testament to how successful they are. Oh, and poisoning their dissidents who crossed their dictator or his buddies, in other countries. The US may do dirty tricks in foreign policy but I really want to believe we are not just torching the world like the Russian gov't is.

If people here are saying there is some kind of moral equivalence in our government to what Russia has been doing, then to hell with the US. I really hope we don't have
troll farms posting propaganda trying to promote race wars and destroy civil society in other democracies.
Here's what you should be pissed off about: our troll farms suck.

The bang for the buck the US taxpayer gets from our crappy attempts at this kind of thing is horrifyingly bad. Historically (back to WWII, at least) we're kind of bad at information warfare: we've got capable people doing it, but our policymakers have always been squeamish. It was an attitude the British didn't understand back then; they found us impossible to work with, because they thought nothing of finding a corpse and planting info on him for the Germans to find where we were leery about that level of skulduggery (Operation Mincemeat, by Ben MacIntyre; fascinating stuff).

It continues today. We've got doorkickers and drones, but we've always been clumsy at radio (and now internet) propaganda. Blame the NSA; it's your tax dollars at work. Information warfare just isn't a US specialty, though we like to think it is. Russia and China are beating the pants off us.

Also, we don't torch the world because we did too much torching from the fifties to the seventies, and Carter/Reagan decided oversight might be necessary. They were probably right; not one of those operations really went all that well.

AllaSnackbah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

We're still paying savages in the middle east to kill Russians. American supplied equipment has killed plenty of Russian troops in Syria. The great game is still being played, so if this is true i dont blame them.

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
Last edited:
Top Bottom