Russia: Goodbye to Kalasnikov and Makarov

New Article in the Italian Newspaper Corriere Della Sera. Russian police ceasing to use the AK and makarov pistols.

Sorry everyone, translation required, I think we have a couple of Italian speakers on here, right?

LINK: http://www.corriere.it/cronache/08_ottobre_09/russia_polizia_kalashnikov_840187e2-961d-11dd-86ba-00144f02aabc.shtml

Heres the significant stuff: "queste armi sono ormai obsolete e hanno una capacità di rimbalzo troppo elevata, per cui, se un proiettile incontra un ostacolo, cambia traiettoria divenendo pericoloso non solo per i criminali, ma anche per i passanti e gli stessi agenti». A sostituire Kalashnikov e Makarov arrivano delle nuove armi, capaci - secondo fonti del ministero degli interni russo - di perforare i giubbotti antiproiettile e sfondare caschi e carrozzerie delle automobili: si tratta dei mitra «Pp-200» e «Vitiaz» e della pistola «Iarighin».

"These weapons are obsolete. elevated recoil, a round hits an obstacle, changes trajectory becoming dangerous not only to criminals, but also bystanders and friendly agents. Replacement weapons will be the PP-200 "Vitiaz" and Iarighin pistol. "

They're police. It sounds like the right move. 9mm sub gun in place of a medium powered rifle round. Most CQ situations are better served with a SBR using rounds which don't over penetrate too much. Most police forces here use MP5s with ARs as backups for SHTF scenarios. I doubt they will purge the AKs completely.
As for the pistol, 9 mm for 9mm + option for specialized armor piercing round that isn't completely compatible with 9x19. Makes sense if their BGs use body armor on a regular basis but otherwise seems a little PHB made that decision.

Back
Top Bottom