Rush Limbaugh - Advanced Lung Cancer

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
there are close to 600 program directors across the country that are panicking right now, because if anything happens to Rush, those are really big shoes to fill... whole stations are built around his show and influence.

On the other hand the Jeff Kuhners of the world are saying "here comes my big break"

I'm not a "Ditto Head" but there is no denying his influence on conservatism over the last 30+ years.

Would there be a President Donald Trump if not for Limbaugh keeping the flame of freedom alive in the dark years of the Obama Administration?

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Guys, he ain't dead yet, and he's just the sort of person who would beat this. Maybe he has the same docs as RBG.

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Sad :(

Adding a link:

Rush Limbaugh announces he has 'advanced lung cancer'

Saying he will be leaving his golden EIB microphone for treatment, but hopes to return soon.

“This day has been one of the most difficult days in recent memory, for me, because I’ve known this moment was coming,” Limbaugh said. “I’m sure that you all know by now that I really don’t like talking about myself and I don’t like making things about me… one thing that I know, that has happened over the 31-plus years of this program is that there has been an incredible bond that had developed between all of you and me.”

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tobacco is a helluva drug... Prayers he is able to beat it.

Even though he's not dead, Appraiser has a point. Those program directors need to be working on a contingency plan now, they can't afford to wait. Realistically who could take up that mantle? It's going to be a short list. I've been a talk radio junkie for 20 years and I can't come up with even one name that I could say 100% is up to the task. One name I can come up with who is not on par with Rush but I think would be up to the challenge would be Sean Hannity. I haven't dug into the numbers so don't know how they compare ratings and market share wise but my gut tells me even for him I think it would be an uphill climb.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sad. :( I can't really say I've listened to him at all in about 20 years, but he was great back in the 90's when he was all there was as an alternative. The guy sure has lots of bad luck with health.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Terrible. At least he didn't suffer with COPD before cancer set in. Every medical condition I learned in school: risk factor -> smoker. And like @JoseyWales said, "advanced" lung cancer is a rock bottom prognosis. Wish the best for him.

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sean is a good man, but he isn't even JV next to Rush. Also, he already has a 3-hour show every weekday, plus his Fox TV show at night. Rush is a unique character. His creativity, quickness, political acuity, and deep historical and cultural knowledge of what makes America great are irreplaceable.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Tobacco is a helluva drug... Prayers he is able to beat it.

Even though he's not dead, Appraiser has a point. Those program directors need to be working on a contingency plan now, they can't afford to wait. Realistically who could take up that mantle? It's going to be a short list. I've been a talk radio junkie for 20 years and I can't come up with even one name that I could say 100% is up to the task. One name I can come up with who is not on par with Rush but I think would be up to the challenge would be Sean Hannity. I haven't dug into the numbers so don't know how they compare ratings and market share wise but my gut tells me even for him I think it would be an uphill climb.
Hannity is also syndicated by Premier Networks ( I Hrt ) and he is plugged into PM drive in many markets, following Rush.

AM and PM drive is where a good deal of billing is done as you have people in their cars, where Rush is "destination" listening.

Hannity may be more valuable money wise right where he is.

For the short term, "EIB" has a deep bench of substitutes, Mark Steyn comes to mind among others.

They have always had substitutes in the wing, and with technology they can do the show from almost anywhere as long as they have a fast internet connection

Hannity got his big break as a Rush fill in, B-1 Bob Dornan was always a favorite as was the late Tony Snow.

They have also used strong local hosts from affiliates. Mark Belling from WISN Milwaukee comes to mind.

But since Radio is the business of selling advertising, in the short term the concern will be to put someone in front of the Golden EIB microphone that will hold listeners especially in PPM markets on the days Rush is not there. Rush's national advertisers will ride this out, the local sales reps for the affiliates are going to have to be able to assure the businesses that are buying the local inserts that they are still going to be getting value for their ad dollar.

chindogg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   1
For some reason I was listening to Rush the other day and I thought "Boy its agood thing we have Rush around". This saddens meandsomeday the worldwill be a little less wise and a hell of a lot less informed without him. Stay strong Rush!

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0

BobR51

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's a straight shooter when it comes to the hypocrisy of the left.
Great man. Praying it can be treated and it's a speedy recovery.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Ah yes, one of the greatest minds of the century, who debunked evolution with this simple yet irrefutable argument

"… A lot of people think that all of us used to be apes. Don’t doubt me on this. A lot of people think that all of us used to be gorillas. And they’re looking for the missing link out there. The evolution crowd. They think we were originally apes. I’ve always — if we were the original apes, then how come Harambe is still an ape, and how come he didn’t become one of us?"

He made everyone who listened to him a little stupider

Last edited:

jbert27

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to listen to Rush back in the early days when he was Cali only, or it seemed so as the NE had not picked up his show.
Always tried to find him when I was in Cali on travel. This was during the GW to Clinton timeframe. We will really miss him, but the left will sadly rejoice.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont wish this on anyone. Except maybe RBG, because she seems to be impervious to cancer. Let's just hope he gets all the Oxy he needs now.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Most of us are sympathetic to Rush in this time of illness.

However the Left is showing it's total lack of character in their comments about him.

Right did the same to RBG. You'd think a gun forum would know better than to generalize entire populations based on the actions of a few.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Never was a huge fan outside of the comic bits he would do occasionally, but otherwise struck me as way too ego driven, way too much monologue. that said, I hope for his sake he can somehow recover from this.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Couldn’t stand the paper rustling and desk pounding. So, I couldn’t get into it. Good luck to him though.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Right did the same to RBG. You'd think a gun forum would know better than to generalize entire populations based on the actions of a few.
That dawg don't hunt.

The level of vitriol from the left DWARFS anything we may have said about anyone on their side.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
However the Left is showing it's total lack of character in their comments about him.
I have not spoken a word about the left pols that I dislike. I'll have to scroll the RBG thread to insure that is true. I am appalled at what the social media leftists are saying about Rush. It does most assuredly show their true colors.

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The Leftist exclamations of hate, compiled onto a page or a screen, would make a great commercial for the GOP with the tagline, "This is what the Democrats want for anyone who disagrees with them about politics. Do you want them to represent you?"

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I was never a fan but he’s The GOAT in his field. No one even comes close. Like him or not the Conservative movement owes him more than it could ever pay in 10 lifetimes.

w1ujay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
God Bless Rush... Man, that is a Bummer.

Mark Steyn may be able to handle some of it... He takes over for Rush often and isn't horrible when he does. Funny.

Rush is doing the show seemingly now.

Top Bottom