• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Running for BOD at HSC - please come out and vote.

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Terraformer- I don't think you know me individually. I am very pro 2A. Fact. Not opinion. Not sure how you measure whether someone is Pro 2A or not. I would be happy to answer any questions you have regarding my stance on the 2A or any issue regarding the HSC. You seem like a very intelligent person (judging by your posts)and I wouldn't want you to form an opinion of me based on misinformation or assumptions.

Terraformer- I don't think you know me individually. I am very pro 2A. Fact. Not opinion. Not sure how you measure whether someone is Pro 2A or not. I would be happy to answer any questions you have regarding my stance on the 2A or any issue regarding the HSC. You seem like a very intelligent person (judging by your posts)and I wouldn't want you to form an opinion of me based on misinformation or assumptions.

I was responding to Ross' comment specifically and meant it when I said we all are entitled to our opinions. I wasn't suggesting you weren't and I wasn't suggesting I wouldn't vote for you personally. Although that is about you specifically and may or may not apply to others on that list whom I do have well informed opinions of.

The problem at HSC has historically been that a certain contingent of folks around the club have tended to want to pass reasonable sounding rules which do nothing to protect the safety and security of the club. They also looked to bend over backwards for institutional users who trash the part of the club they use while complaining that a particular range they don't use was too cluttered with trash.

Yes, there are problems that pop up, but I also know that the folks that Clarence puts his weight behind are very willing to focus on the bad actors and not pass the club equivalent of "reasonable regulations" against everyone for the bad actions of a few. It's a slippery slope and for one to see what happens when a club bows to political pressure of the towns they are in or to the absurdity of reasonable regulations, you get clubs like MRA, Andover or other such stupidity. You know how many clubs still to this day limit mags to 5 rounds? Way too many. Do I think anyone running for HSC elected positions advocate that? No. But my point is that a lot of these other rules lead down the path of more and more control over how people use the club.

Case in point, a particular group of members filmed a video at HSC a while back and on the video showed some very stupid behavior. It was taken care of specifically for that incident the way it should have been and I don't believe any new rules were laid down as a result. That's the way it should be.

Over the last few years the biggest brouhahas to occur have been about how much work individual members do, the need to ensure that those who dedicate their time to the club get the support that they need. If that's all we are complaining about though, the system is working. In the past, the personality conflicts had been stifling and caused far more issues than they solved. That needs to be kept to a minimum.

Oh, and the Boy Scout thing which was more an issue of the boy scout policy that has become batshit absurd. Do they verify the backgrounds of the caterers who work their parties? No, so instead of screwing it up for all of us, they should have relied on their leadership to watch their own as it should be. Closing the club didn't do anything for the safety of the scouts from predators. Period. We were bullied into that. We probably should have said no. The scouts could have headed down to Yawgoog in RI. They have a rifle range down there.

Terra- Thank you for your response. Since I started this thread I did take your prior comment to include me about not being Pro 2A.

I also understand the 'slippery slope of reasonable restrictions' and I believe we need to make sure we don't accidentally on purpose go down that road. I like the fact that I can come and go at HSC as I please and shoot how I like. I really don't care what others do as long as it doesn't negatively impact me. That would be my libertarian streak. I would not be so quick to believe everything you hear about what someone else 'wants to do' unless you hear it directly from their mouth.

I do think we need to support those who volunteer their time for our club and I appreciate each persons effort. I also know that many new members have expressed to me their frustration at not feeling as if they have adequate communication about volunteer opportunities on an adhoc basis. I also have heard complaints from those who do the work that they need more help as the club grows. I know there is a solution to bring willing volunteers and understaffed committees together to get everything done without placing the burden on too few.

While we are on the subject of volunteering I want to say that I have never and would never degrade someone's contribution to the club because they volunteered in a different capacity than myself or were able to contribute fewer hours than myself.

I have noticed that there are some 'personality conflicts' and I think that as adults we should use what brings us together to make our club the best around and continue to ensure that it remains that way instead of focusing on our own 'pet projects' and such.

I am a person who listens to input from people and then forms my own opinions. I am a strong headed individual who knows that some times my 'personal' feelings and desires may not be the best for the whole and am willing to listen to reasoned arguments while making a decision. I do not come with an agenda other than to ensure the future success of the club and a belief that the membership should have a VOICE in that future.

I know that at times people want to lump Greg, Pat and I together for whatever reason. Honestly, I am pretty sure that if Greg pulled me over for speeding (not that I would dare! [wink]) he wouldn't know who I was unless I pointed it out. Pat and I worked many hours in the kitchen together and I appreciate that she was so easy to get to know. She was really the first person to welcome me into the HSC family when I showed up one night with my son for the junior rifle club. I do support her for Secretary as I think she has done a far better job than the prior secretary and I believe she will do a better job than her opponent this year. I also support Greg for VP as he is being opposed by the former secretary who I feel did not fully perform the duties of his previous position when he held it.

I just wanted to thank all of you who came out to support me. I missed by 4 votes. Not bad for my first effort. I will continue to help improve and grow our club!

Back
Top Bottom