• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RUN-N-GUN Event! The "Hora Dolor". Townsend Fish and Gun club. Sept 30th.

I dont think you need to make it a 5k/harder then its all about physical endurance and not having fun shooting stuff. the suggestions I was hearing was to just change up with the fun stuff, Archery, Shotgun, Knife/hatchet throwing, stuff like that. If you make it any more physical then all those funny looking bicycle riders with their shiny shorts are gonna show up instead of the redneck camo clad shooters we all know and love....just say'n

I'm with Willy also. Walking because of my knees had me breathing harder than normal. Make the course much longer and I'll pass.
I think if you have some events that can be swapped out between late summer and winter Hora Dolors that would be good.
You club is set up nicely to accomodate this type of event with the ranges spread out.

I was shooting .45 as well, and didn't have any issues (we were the third to last team I think). I had 1 or 2 pins that need to get rolled off the table with an extra shot.

We were the next to last Team to start and I did good with the pins.

Pins are like that sometimes. Shot placement and bullet grain weight are important factors. I was shooting 230 gr., .45 ACP and did pretty good acording to some comments I recieved.

We were using the same....230 gr 45ACP with 5.6gn of Win231
Nailed all he pins dead on and they weren't even phased by them

PS Thanks to everyone that helped and competed!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

You cant come back Mr_hao, you're too young and in shape...

haha in shape is thrown around loosely here we were both gassed half way through the red marker lap

Maybe a trap stage?! Everyone loves trap!

trap and archery sounds awesome also how about shooting at a rope/pool balls that sounds challenging and fun.....as for physical obstacles we should have something that both teammates need to work together to do like climb over a big wall or something fun like that, or we could do a relay race part at some of the stations where the other teammate can't go until the others finished

Last edited:
Nailed all the pins dead on and they weren't even phased by them
They win, and still complain. You sure you're not a Democrat? [rofl2]

These are ideas are great. The biggest note I see is length-of-course might be a killer to quite a few. Length of event longer, but distance NO. Ok, duly noted.

There was talk of a trap setup, I really like that idea.
There was mention of mowing down a stump (or equivalent).
I would like to get a small rimfire shoot stuck in the middle there. Something to test your willy.....Straws at 50 yards? [devil2] I know some of you have .22s or .17s.......

I need to start writing these down. [laugh]

Last edited:
I think trap and archery are great ideas. Maybe some kind of partner relay stations (2 sets of knock down targets, 1 teammate starts and the other can't start until all first targets knocked down). Some kind of detail challenge (1 teammate field strips an AR or 1911 before you can shoot your targets, then second teammate re-assembles before shooting, bonus points for doing it blindfolded). I think adding more shooting and non-shooting challenges would be more fun than just adding more running.

Nailed all he pins dead on and they weren't even phased by them

There is no way you had Win 231 in there. There wasn't nearly enough smoke! [laugh]

I think trap and archery are great ideas. Maybe some kind of partner relay stations (2 sets of knock down targets, 1 teammate starts and the other can't start until all first targets knocked down). Some kind of detail challenge (1 teammate field strips an AR or 1911 before you can shoot your targets, then second teammate re-assembles before shooting, bonus points for doing it blindfolded). I think adding more shooting and non-shooting challenges would be more fun than just adding more running.

Liking that. ^

I would like to get a small rimfire shoot stuck in the middle there. Something to test your willy.....Straws at 50 yards? [devil2] I know some of you have .22s or .17s.......

Well if it's going to be a winter shoot, I vote that you make a station with a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.

The target is this:

imageload8.jpg

You all know what you're aiming at!

Well if it's going to be a winter shoot, I vote that you make a station with a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.

The target is this:

You all know what you're aiming at!

You'll shoot your eye out!

Sounds like all the reasoning I need to pull the trigger on a 10mm long slide.

[devil2]

We were going to bust out the glock 29 for the shoot with some hot georgia arms reloads but the g29 wasn't as accurate as the hk or sti. I knew I shouldn't have sold my Delta Elite =(

Sounds like all the reasoning I need to pull the trigger on a 10mm long slide.

[devil2]

We were going to bust out the glock 29 for the shoot with some hot georgia arms reloads but the g29 wasn't as accurate as the hk or sti. I knew I shouldn't have sold my Delta Elite =(

First of all, the primary justification to buy a gun is BECAUSE GUN! Especially you Ed, as it's not like you'll ever be starting one of those "My girlfriend just saw inside the safe! What do I do know?? She wants me to sell them all!" threads [laugh] Secondary motivations may include "I'm trying to collect all the Glock/Sig/H&K/whatever models"; "Oh, I'm going to win the new purchases thread with this one!"; or "This will be very useful when the zombie apocalypse comes." [smile]

And FTR, I was using my Glock 36. While I completely and utterly f'ed up the second pass through the bowling pins, I turned in a very respectable performance the first time through and helped Adam clean up his table. They are freaking bowling pins at 10 paces or less. They aren't exactly practicing evasive techniques, you know? Assuming a decent sized bullet, the gun isn't really the primary limitation here... [wink]

considering the fact that i will have it together by the end of the week... shotgun with bayonet stage. plz. [laugh]

Crap. I need to buy another gun then. [lol] duct taping a bayonet to my 870 is a little too ghetto. I suppose if I JB weld something on there that it would be appropriately redneck though......

Distance doesn't seem to want to change, but I'm liking the ideas that are rolling in.

Crap. I need to buy another gun then. [lol] duct taping a bayonet to my 870 is a little too ghetto. I suppose if I JB weld something on there that it would be appropriately redneck though......
870trenchsmall.jpg

shoot target then cut sammich.
[laugh2]

small table set up with one round of birdshot on it.

run to table with shotgun with bayonet on, unsheath bayonet, stab watermelon, combat load shell, blast melon, put sheath back on bayonet and replace shotgun on rack.

see, completely safe, even. [wink]

small table set up with [STRIKE=undefined]one round of birdshot[/STRIKE] 2 rounds of 00 buck on it.

run to table with shotgun with bayonet on, unsheath bayonet, stab watermelon, combat load shells, blast melon, put sheath back on bayonet and replace shotgun on rack.

see, completely safe, even. [wink]

It would make Gallagher proud, even...

here is another couple of ideas:

1. Loudest Motherland scream: setup a DB meter and see who loves motherland the best.

2. Intimidation challenge: kidnap a lib from Cambridge, equip with catheter and a stool bag for exact measurements. Teams have 1 min of non-lethal intimidation at 5 yards to produce the biggest amount of "secretions"

here is another couple of ideas:

1. Loudest Motherland scream: setup a DB meter and see who loves motherland the best.

2. Intimidation challenge: kidnap a lib from Cambridge, equip with catheter and a stool bag for exact measurements. Teams have 1 min of non-lethal intimidation at 5 yards to produce the biggest amount of "secretions"

Why exactly does it have to be non-lethal? I mean.. it's not like we are grabbing up a valuable species. They seem to make more every day.

As to the run itself. I think we could stuff in a lot of pain into the existing distance. A 5k would be a bit much perhaps. But more events would be pretty easy.

Steel on the pistol range is a likelihood. If not for simplicity, but for cost and ease of reset. Though it would clearly dumb it down a touch. Maybe we'll add a math stage too. Though that might benefit the last winners. Hmm.. I dunno, rest assured, you won't leave the club thinking "gee Sweetjeep and Joe didn't even try!"

Back
Top Bottom