Rumors ??? about Cumberland

So I heard that once again the polize chief has lost a lawsuit regarding the issuance of CCW permits, and they are not issuing permits.
Can anyone verify this??

Thanks

There is no current lawsuit that I am aware of. The chief is taking applications, though I do not know of anyone who has received a permit yet.

I'm currently going through the process. He has issued 1. Last November. They restructured the application and adopted the town of johnston application. I don't believe he has lost any suit. If it stands for anything they dropped psych eval, changed the application and have been very responsive so far. Night and day from the attitude the CPD held a few years ago so kudos to them. I don't believe anyone who has applied since the new application was made available has been issued yet. I'm currently at 33days since I submitted. I'm hopeful and patient. Will update here when I know more.

I'm currently going through the process. He has issued 1. Last November. They restructured the application and adopted the town of johnston application. I don't believe he has lost any suit. If it stands for anything they dropped psych eval, changed the application and have been very responsive so far. Night and day from the attitude the CPD held a few years ago so kudos to them. I don't believe anyone who has applied since the new application was made available has been issued yet. I'm currently at 33days since I submitted. I'm hopeful and patient. Will update here when I know more.

I know someone who hit the 90 day mark and still hasn't heard anything.

I know someone who hit the 90 day mark and still hasn't heard anything.

Interesting. Has he inquired? What was the result? The application states 90 day maximum, of course this doesn't mean a town will comply with that. I was called last week to fill out some different medical release forms. Not that that means anything but the technically I "have heard something".

Thank you for this. Please keep us updated.

Any update from any of the applicants in this thread? I'm a Cumberland resident and was wondering what applicants have been experiencing?

I was issued. Took 88 days. Besides the hoops of the application and medical releases the meeting with the chief was brief and issued same day as meeting.

Cumberland is finally getting with the program. If you feel you meet the statutory requirement and want a permit issued by Cumberland you should apply.

Yes. You have to sign releases to 7 mental hospitals. It's not part of the statute, but you won't have the application processed without it. I personally didn't mind but that's a choice only you can make (to sign the releases). Aside from that the chief was helpful, responsive and courteous every time we communicated.

My first time applying for a permit, I was naive and went along with the arbitrary requirements. Next time around I won't be so lenient, not a statuary requirement, no F'ing way am I giving out that info on the application.

The application still requires a reason to fear injury to self or property. How did those who were granted permits deal with this question?

The application still requires a reason to fear injury to self or property. How did those who were granted permits deal with this question?

I'd just go with what's in the statute. That's the law they are supposed to be following.

§ 11-47-11 License or permit to carry concealed pistol or revolver. – (a) ... if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear an injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver, and that he or she is a suitable person to be so licensed. ...

Back
Top Bottom