• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rules to transfer shotgun to MA-based son

My father has a 20ga shotgun that he wants to give to me - he lives in CT and I live in MA. I know in MA I need to fill out the registration part of the FA-10 online (serial number, etc.) to register the gun in my name (and yes, I do have a LTC-A). What I'm wondering is, what does he need to do in CT (if anything) in order to do this properly so that the gun transfers ownership completely?

Thank you!

My father has a 20ga shotgun that he wants to give to me - he lives in CT and I live in MA. I know in MA I need to fill out the registration part of the FA-10 online (serial number, etc.) to register the gun in my name (and yes, I do have a LTC-A). What I'm wondering is, what does he need to do in CT (if anything) in order to do this properly so that the gun transfers ownership completely?

Thank you!

You and him bring the gun to any FFL and do it there. Unfortunately this is the only way and it is a federal law.

And if you hadn't posted this on a public internet forum, you would have simply brought the gun back from CT and filed an FA10 when you got it into MA.
This would have been legal because your father actually gave it to you back when you were a CT resident. Until 4/4/13 no paperwork was required in CT for a long gun transfer, so it all would have been legal.

The idea that there needs to be a documented continuous chain of custody with firearms transfers is a fallacy that many fall victim to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom