• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rugers 10mm 1911

greencobra

NES Member
i've been kicking tires on a 10 mm 1911. being retired and not spending money like a madman like i did when working, all my first wants are out of reach unless i sell a bunch of stuff. don't want to do that. i've had a g20 for several years. nothing wrong there, still enjoy pounding away with it. but looking for the 10 in 1911 format, honestly the only one in my price bracket is the ruger. searching and reading the comments here on nes gave me some info i was looking for but comments seem scarce for recent updates. hoping folks that have owned one for a while and put a bunch of rounds through it can comment on how they feel about it now.

none of the budget 10mm 1911's are tuned for full steam 10mm. they require either a flat firing pin stop or an increased weight mainspring. either way you want to slow down rearward slide velocity. the flat firing pin stop is the better route as it won't effect trigger weight nor excessive firing pin wear.

RIA makes a 10MM 1911 in your price range that i've never heard a bad thing about.

my RIA 10mm required a lot of tuning to get to run reliably. like many other 9 or 10mm 1911's the rounds in magazine were contacting the internal lug of the slide stop resulting in premature slide lock. super annoying. RIA CS is lousy. I ended up having Tim at G&N Gunsmithing re-work the slide stop and now the gun runs fine although requires a specific magazine (tripp research).

This is my experience with Ruger . Factory ammo no reloads . Gun was returned to ruger because both the front and rear sight broke and then this . Ruger repaired with no questions asked . My opinion on Ruger is not good View attachment 283876

that is not a good place for barrel to snap. frightening. were you running factory recoil spring? sometimes people put a heavy recoil spring (which is not the answer for 10mm, see above) and can result in failure of the barrel link in that area due to heavy forward recoil impulse. at least Ruger will take care of it. they may issue you a new gun especially if you complain enough. at least 3 of my ruger firearms are complete replacement from ruger.

the way your barrel cracked I'm guessing there was binding between the slide and barrel resulting in excessive impact of the barrel lug against the frame. is the frame at all damaged up in front of the feed ramp? would take a good look around there and the slide stop. there may be damage elsewhere too.

as i've posted in other threads, i've had many crap experiences with Ruger firearms over the past 5-6 years. i'm not at all surprised that your 10mm 1911 had such odd failures as a rear sight and the barrel lug. one would think that i'd avoid ruger firearms but their customer service is so excellent that i honestly don't care when their guns break. they will repair it once or so, then if it goes down again they issue a replacement which have all been perfect. i swear they get one of their smiths to hand pick a winner and work it over real nice. Colt did the same thing for me. it's a shame but the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

for example, i had a mini 14 that after 6k rounds was never 100% reliable. despite my tuning the gas system and replacing extractors, so forth, it woudl stovepipe like every 50 or so rounds. never fully resolved. so i finally sent it to ruger and they replaced this blued finish mini14 with a brand new stainless flash hider model. amazing service right there!

same for my ruger redhawk, two GP100's, SR9, some others i cannot recall. with Ruger's QC standards, their customer service people have great job security!!

yeah, mixed emotions with the few replies here, pretty much my experience with ruger over the past several years. i use to be their biggest cheerleader, too.
RIA makes a 10MM 1911 in your price range that i've never heard a bad thing about.
that's an option. i've been wanting to look at the springfield armory as well but we're well over a grand with that. i think fs started to get some sa's recently, i'll take a look.

thanks.

I had one that choked on Bbore ammo.

No going to lie full 10mm sucks out of a 1911. The glock shoots better.

The heart wants and all, but your better off spending some coin elsewhere.

No going to lie full 10mm sucks out of a 1911.
never shot 10 from the 1911 format. shot a bren ten once over 30 years ago and never encountered the 10mm cartridge again until the glock. the flames are dying on this one i think.

Back
Top Bottom