• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR9c

thanks , chances are that i will get a restricted class A (live in brockton), but i was on fsguns.com and they have them going for 399 brand new, i will take a look at the full size model as well, I just wanted to know how someone in mass liked the gun, thanks again, ill check out that forum link as well

I've read that the compact has a better managed recoil due to a different recoil spring installed when they designed the compact model. I'm also thinking about this for a first when I eventually get my LTC.

thanks Diskothek, both my friend and I are trying to figure out what is best, we plan on going to the range and trying a few guns out, he has already shot a few model glocks, but for the price of used glock, i can get a brand new gun, and from what i read, its reliable and fun to shot

thanks for posting the video of him using the SR9C. I also just got my LTC A restricted of course, but I am also looking into getting the compact model. I like it better, and I liked the way it felt when I played with it and held it the other day. I think I am going to go with that one. As it is my 1st gun and I do not want to drop $800 on my first gun. This brand new is $500, and like you said you may be able to find it cheaper.

fsguns.com

I just checked therm out. wow, how do they have a brand new sr9c for $399 when everyone else sells it for $525-$530??? Wow! I may have to take a run to that store. I was going to pay "full price"

yeah fsguns.com isnt the best designed website, but they have some crazy good deals, they are in woburn too. A buddy of mine who already has his LTC is going this week to buy a new 1911 model from S&W or he might pick up a new SIG, they have a huge SIG sale now

another good site is cheaperthandirt.com/ , it's legit, he bought a gun from this site, you basically buy it there and then you have to pick it up at a dealer they have a contract with. Ammo and mags are unreal for pricing

I dont feel like dropping $800 and risk not liking he gun after i have it for a few months, i figured if i get the ruger and i get bored with it, i can sell it for at least $350 to someone else after a month, retail on the gun is $525, not idea how they got a good deal like that, but it might be that the one sold in mass has a different trigger, because we are only allowed to have 10 lbs of pressure on it, as opposed to most guns being 6lbs of pressure on the trigger.

jbize1, if you end up really liking the gun then you can also have a trigger job done by a gunsmith. My buddy told me they usually go for around $100 depending where you go and the tension can be dropped to something like 6 lbs.

I also have the SR9c in black, and can't find a bad thing to say about this gun. If you can't conceal carry I would consider the full size model just for better comfort, less recoil, etc., but the compact is a fantastic gun for the money. I researched them for months before actually buying, and couldn't find a negative review anywhere. The other thing to know with the full size model is that it has a different trigger system than the compact, so I did read some negative reviews based on the trigger feel of the full size. The trigger on the compact is way better than the comparable priced M&P offering, unless you are willing to drop another c-note for an Apex kit to be installed, in which case the M&P is a great gun. For the money, though, you will be hard pressed to find a better all around gun than the SR9c.

@T03, wow that was a good response, you should do reviews or something. The owners of NES should start up a newsletter and charge like .99 for it, you could write for them

I got a SR9C and love it. I have had no problems with it at all. I have a class A LTC and use it also as my carry weapon.

I dont feel like dropping $800 and risk not liking he gun after i have it for a few months, i figured if i get the ruger and i get bored with it, i can sell it for at least $350 to someone else after a month, retail on the gun is $525, not idea how they got a good deal like that, but it might be that the one sold in mass has a different trigger, because we are only allowed to have 10 lbs of pressure on it, as opposed to most guns being 6lbs of pressure on the trigger.

The SR9c most certainly does not have a 10# trigger, nor is it different in MA than other states. My understanding is that the 10 lb guideline only applies to firearms without other safety features (i.e. external safety), and pertains only to MA dealer transfers.

I also have the SR9c in black, and can't find a bad thing to say about this gun. If you can't conceal carry I would consider the full size model just for better comfort, less recoil, etc., but the compact is a fantastic gun for the money. I researched them for months before actually buying, and couldn't find a negative review anywhere. The other thing to know with the full size model is that it has a different trigger system than the compact, so I did read some negative reviews based on the trigger feel of the full size. The trigger on the compact is way better than the comparable priced M&P offering, unless you are willing to drop another c-note for an Apex kit to be installed, in which case the M&P is a great gun. For the money, though, you will be hard pressed to find a better all around gun than the SR9c.

If you believe Ruger, the trigger systems are identical. That being said, I've tried both side-by-side, and they certainly do not feel identical. The compact's trigger feels much more smooth and crisp. I've heard that Ruger has improved the trigger numerous times, and that the newer SR9s and the new SR40 have much better triggers (i.e. more like the compact).

Either way, I love my SR9c.

fsguns.com

I just checked therm out. wow, how do they have a brand new sr9c for $399 when everyone else sells it for $525-$530??? Wow! I may have to take a run to that store. I was going to pay "full price"

Where are you located? I usually use Four Seasons, gunbroker, and budsgunshop.com as a price guide for what I expect to pay. I picked up a SR9c locally for $419. It was backordered and when I went to pick it up, there was one in the case going for $459.

Where are you located? I usually use Four Seasons, gunbroker, and budsgunshop.com as a price guide for what I expect to pay. I picked up a SR9c locally for $419. It was backordered and when I went to pick it up, there was one in the case going for $459.

I live in worcester. But I already called fsguns to have them hold my SR9C. She said they would hold one for me until Saturday until I could make it in there. I can't wait! (I changed my username. use to be whitney11604)

Just bought an SR9c from FS in Woburn, be prepared for a crowded little store on Saturday. When i was there they were taking numbers like a deli. Either way they have great customer service, and 9mm blazer ammo for $9.99/50rds. I have shot 100 of these through my gun since Saturday, not a single hiccup whatsoever. I carry this gun in SOB, and sometimes I forget its even there. I'm still getting used to having a concealed firearm, but the SR9c makes it easy. Excellent gun and I don't know if you can beat it at $399 for a brand new gun. Good luck, shoot it first and buy what feels best in your hands.

If I didnt own glocks I would own that gun in a heart beat. The trigger is excellent, the sites rock and it fits will in your hand. Cant get a better 9mm (subcompact-compact) for that much money.
I even made my father buy one so I could shoot his!

Awesome. Hopefully they don't get too busy, because they may have to sell mine. lol who knows how many they will have at that price, or if that's their regular price. Either way, I am hoping to get there 1st Saturday morning.

Buy it! You will be very happy with the gun. I have the Sr9 and a Sr9c both are great guns. I have run about a 1000 rounds through both with only one fail, and it was a fail to eject on the first day shooting the Sr9. After that no problems, both guns will feed anything you put in them! The trigger on the c is amazing, its a little better than the full size. Even thought I still love the trigger on the Sr9. One of the cool things is that with the new spring setup, the compact has the same or less recoil than the full size! Good luck on your purchase. You will not regret it!

The responses in the thread are definitely indicative of the majority of reviewers not just from the Northeast but also around the country. It's a bargain of a gun that shoots, conceals, and handles well. The only complaints I have seen are in regard to an initial stiffness, which works itself out after firing maybe 200 rounds by the reports I've seen, and reports of the manual safety being stiff and awkward. Even though I have seen a fair bit about this "stiffness," no one has reported it not going away, and a lion's share has not reported this "issue" at all. As for the safety? That's why you put the gun in your hand before you buy.

The stiffness definitely goes away. I have over 500 rounds through mine now, and the safety is as smooth as can be. It is machined to very tight tolerances, so it definitely needs to be wrung out with some rounds through, but it is smooth as glass now, and I love it more every time I use it. There has only been one fail to eject, but it was when I let my wife try it (she never fired a gun before), so I'm not sure if it was a mechanical thing, or that she limp wristed it, or something. I have never had a single malfunction of any kind, and feel 110% confidence in this as my primary carry. Also with regard to the trigger feel... it was excellent even when new, but that has improved with use so much that anyone trying would swear that I had custom trigger work done, and it is very light.[wink]

In my opinion probably the worst trigger of any handgun I have ever touched and it's even worse than the Glocks.

In my opinion probably the worst trigger of any handgun I have ever touched and it's even worse than the Glocks.

Have you only tried one, or more than one? I'm asking because you may have tried one with issues of some sort, because I have never heard, or read of anyone else saying that about the compact model, and only a few that complained about the earlier version of the full size. Of every compact (MA versions, since I live in MA), the SR9C had the lightest, smoothest trigger, which is why I am confused by your statement.

Have you only tried one, or more than one? I'm asking because you may have tried one with issues of some sort, because I have never heard, or read of anyone else saying that about the compact model, and only a few that complained about the earlier version of the full size. Of every compact (MA versions, since I live in MA), the SR9C had the lightest, smoothest trigger, which is why I am confused by your statement.

I one I fondled was the SR9 a couple weeks after they first came out. Maybe they are better now.

I one I fondled was the SR9 a couple weeks after they first came out. Maybe they are better now.

well the discussion has been on the SR9c, not the SR9. Which to some extent had a poor trigger. I don't think as bad your making it out to be, but poor.

the SR9c had a redesigned trigger, which I own and is a lot better any of the other compact models in the price range.

my brother has the M&P9c and the trigger wasn't close to the feel of the SR9c. granted he now has gotten the trigger reworked and its real nice. but for the money, SR9c out of the box is the way to go.

Ok, that makes sense then. I have read that the first run of the full sized model had problems with the trigger, and they revised it at least once because of various issues. Try out a compact the next time you are at a shop that has one. I think you'll change your mind after trying one.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom