Ruger SR9C reviews?

Hi,

I'm researching buying a 9mm for range and SD, not for carry. I've been considering Sig, SW and am now thinking Ruger SR9C.

I know its probably like comparing apples to oranges, a couple friends have let me shoot their Sigs and MPs, but I've yet to shoot a Ruger in > .22 Mark 3 (which I own).

Right now my motivations are:
- Economical aka lower cost to shoot regularly and for initial expense.
- Reliability
- Having a > .22 caliber pistol
- Range and SD

This logically leads me to the Ruger SR9c in my mind, however if it is a complete POS I don't want to waste the 400$ and would rather put it into an SW MP 9mm for another 180$ (including trigger work) or maybe I should just suck it up and go for the Sig 229 in 9MM for $700 and admit to myself that I'm gonna end up there any way.....

the $300 difference is significant for me at this point, but I don't want to be completely dumb about it and have to turn around and sell the SR9c in 3 months because I don't like it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
JC

Love mine, great gun. Havnt had a single issue yet, its fun to shoot, easy to shoot and reliable.

Plenty of others here have one and im sure they will chime in.

Love mine, great gun. Havnt had a single issue yet, its fun to shoot, easy to shoot and reliable.

Plenty of others here have one and im sure they will chime in.

How do you feel about the trigger? I've read good reviews on it, but they didn't live in MA.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I know two folks who carry them and I've shot both of their guns a bit. I think it's a great gun. Not a POS at all and the trigger is great right out of the box. If it fits your hand well I don't think you can go wrong.

For a range gun though, I would stick with a full size gun. Just my opinion. There are aplenty out there in that range of pricing, including used Glocks.

No issues with the trigger on my compact, nice and smooth. Watch out on the full size though as the early trigger design is pretty bad I hear, the compact came out with a redesigned trigger and the full sizes since have been given the newer trigger.

My bad, one of the full size sr9 is MA compliant http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9/specSheets/3309.html I'd be looking at this one.

If anyone has one near the south shore, quincy, dedham area that they may be willing to let me shoot a few rounds I would be most appreciative!

Thanks!

JC

This may have changed but I think the full size SR9 has a different, worse trigger than the compact. Maybe someone can elaborate or correct me but I don't believe the SR9 and SR9c have the same relationship as say the M&P9 and M&P9c. Check it out.

The chamber flag is fruity mc gay gay.

If this is a range toy you're looking at the wrong gun. Get something like a G17, a Beretta 92/M9A1, or a Sig P226 instead, even if used.

-Mike

If this is a range toy you're looking at the wrong gun. Get something like a G17, a Beretta 92/M9A1, or a Sig P226 instead, even if used.

-Mike

Youre just jealous of our fancy safety features. [wink]

I never notice it, and I dont think you will either if I had to point it at ya and youre unfamiliar with it

I'd like the full size, some people on the web have said the full size trigger is not as good as compact however in the newer models with the "D" shaped mag release it was fixed, any comments?

I love my Ruger SR9, got mine in January, so does not have the issues that existed with some of the early released models. I did add the Rocket Ultimate drop in trigger bar reset, for a 3.5 Lb trigger pull. Easy to do, and real improvement over the stock trigger.

http://www.ghostinc.com/c=txcUrPQY1Csl1G4PyOnwdFZJP/category/ultimate_for_ruger/

Iron sites were dead on, out of the box. A few guys at the club said it looks like a Glock 17, and shoots like one, but not having a Glock, I cannot confirm this.

If this is a range toy you're looking at the wrong gun.
-Mike

Agreed. The chamber flag and the safety on a DAO gun are a major turn off to me, but your should definitely be looking at full sized guns if you don't intend on concealing it. Definately look into the Sig 226, Beretta 92fs, M&P Fullsize, or a G17 if you can find one for a decent price.

How do you feel about the trigger? I've read good reviews on it, but they didn't live in MA.

I may be too late to the party as it looks like you're considering the full size now, but I bought the SR9C a few weeks ago. Other than the goofy LCI, I like it a lot. The trigger is surprisingly smooth and light for a MA gun and I don't feel the need to do anything to it. I've had one FTF but I've got less than 200 rounds through it, so it may well just need breaking in. For $400, I think it's a great little gun.

Youre just jealous of our fancy safety features. [wink]

I never notice it, and I dont think you will either if I had to point it at ya and youre unfamiliar with it

[rofl] How can you -not- notice it?

Ruger would sell a lot more guns if they laid back on the lawyerism a bit. For example the new LC9.... why not make that gun more like the LCP? I understand they're trying to get it CA/MA legal, but really? Are they serious? Why not just a little notch in the barrel hood instead?

donotwantrecoil.jpg

Last edited:
I will let you know if mine ever comes in. Is there a shortage on these or something?

I have the full size and the compact SR9. They are outstanding guns!!! Accurate as a laser, reliable, thin and easy to carry. I also love the fact that they have thumb safeties. I'm an old 1911 guy so the thumb safety just feels right to me. I am really very pleased with the SR9 pistols.

I bought one this fall. I like it a lot for my first gun purchase. Just needs a good cleaning out of the box and also a couple hundred rounds to break in, I also like the light safety it seems to have on it.

I have the full size and the compact SR9. They are outstanding guns!!! Accurate as a laser, reliable, thin and easy to carry. I also love the fact that they have thumb safeties. I'm an old 1911 guy so the thumb safety just feels right to me. I am really very pleased with the SR9 pistols.
How concealable are they? Thinking about getting one but don't know anyone who has them or the gun shops I go to. I'd appreciate any info. Cheers

Last edited:
How concealable are they? Thinking about getting one but don't know anyone who has them or the gun shops I go to. I'd appreciate any info. Cheers

They shoot very accurate and are very concealable. Four Seasons usually has them in stock for around $400. I carry mine in every season except Summer and it shoots great. It was my first buy and it has been nothing but good to me.

I CC mine just about daily and it conceals very well. I use the flat-bottom floorplates for the mags and the gun disappears with my Crossbreed holster. With the finger extension on the mag it would make a slight "point" on the back of my shirt but still not bad.

I like the FS SR9 that I bought. Even the FS is concealable with the right clothing, pistol belt, baggy short sleeve button down. I would imagine the compact would obviously be even more so.

I have had problems with failure to eject, but I think it was the reloads I was shooting. Factory ammo seems to work fine although I got one failure to feed during an IDPA course which was an educational moment, not sure what caused that, if I didn't seat the mag correctly or what.

Overall for the price I think it is a decent gun. Being a new gun however you obviously can't buy/posess >10rd mags in MA, so maybe that alters your decision on the type of gun you would want to buy, i.e. one that would accept pre-ban mags >10rounds legally in MA, just a thought if you are going FS.

Glock 36 chindogg, just picked it up earlier this month.

It is actually a tiny bit bigger than my SR9c but is 4oz lighter. I am thin and with a cheap holster, the SR9c prints on me sometimes. I love the gun though and I recommend you to look into one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom