• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR9c Range Report

jbos6

NES Member
So I finally got my new two-tone Ruger (MRA) to the range yesterday. I put 225 rounds downrange without a single FTF or FTE ... 50 rounds each of Remington and Blazer Brass (both 115gr FMJ), 100 rounds of Blazer (115gr FMJ ) and 25 rounds of 125gr JHP Golden Sabre.

I researched this first-pistol purchase for a LONG time, and I am THRILLED with the decision. I can just about guarantee you cannot beat this gun for the money. Sweet, sweet trigger, no grittiness. This was my first time putting a lot of 9mm downrange (most of my range time has been .40 and .45), but VERY manageable recoil. For the record, I did choose to go with the pinky extension on both mags as I have bigger hands.

On to the targets. This first one was at about 7 yards (only put two mags through before I was reminded that minimum shooting is 10 yards at MRA ... my mistake!!)

IMG00049-20110512-2021.jpg

I am most certainly not the best shot in the world, nor am I worrying about it too much right now. I definitely plan on getting far more proficient, but for now, I wanted to be sure I could hit my target. (When shooting my friend's Glock, the running joke was that the safest place to be was where I was aiming, because I was sure not to hit anywhere close to you!). Definitely a few flyers, but I was happy with ~80% in the target square at 7 yards.

IMG00050-20110512-2104.jpg

This was ... a lot of magazines at 10 yards on a different target square. Overall, I was VERY happy. Still a few fliers, but by the end of the range time, I was putting 90% of my rounds in the square at about a second per shot. (In other words, I wanted to see what happened if I was firing without spending 10 seconds setting up the shot.)

One thing I did notice that needs to be corrected is the windage. The pistol is shooting about 3-4" left of POA at 10 yards. The bullseye and right-of-center shots came when I started correcting for the offset.

Verdict - I cannot recommend this pistol highly enough. For ~$400 out the door, there's not really anything else I could have asked for. Two mags, each with a flat and a pinky-extension baseplate. If you're looking for a pretty-easily-concealable first pistol in a good defensive caliber, check out the SR9c.

Back
Top Bottom