• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR9

RUGER SR9 APPROVED FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA . . .

Sturm, Ruger & Co. (NYSE:RGR) announced that a new Ruger SR9 pistol has been approved for sale in California and has also been added to the list of approved firearms for sale in Massachusetts. The SR9 is the first new pistol model introduced to the California marketplace in almost two years due to California gun-control legislation. Ruger also announced last week that its board of directors has authorized a stock repurchase program that allows the company to repurchase up to $5 million of its common stock from time to time in the open market or through privately negotiated transactions.

Still think that it's freaking UGLY!

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I like the looks of it - especially over their older 345. One of the "regret guns" I wish I had not sold, (but needed to to make it to Africa) was an old Ruger P-90. That pistol was indeed a tank and ate anything I fed it. Wish I still had it...

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I like the looks of it - especially over their older 345. One of the "regret guns" I wish I had not sold, (but needed to to make it to Africa) was an old Ruger P-90. That pistol was indeed a tank and ate anything I fed it. Wish I still had it...

I have an old p85. It is ugly and pretty abused, but if you handed it to me and sent me into battle I would feel confident that I got a great gun. I bought it used for $250 I have had it for 14 years now.

Ruger semi-atuos should have been the US Service Pistol. They were designed for hard usage over the long haul. I like the looks of the SR9, it sort of reminds me of the old Savage auto pistols.

I will not purchase one, however, the reason is quite simple: low magazine capacity due to asnine Mass gun laws, will require a trigger job because I am sure that it will be similar to the S&W MP Mass Models: a heavy trigger. So thanks to Mass gun laws, a potential SR9 customer walks.

If a similar model comes out in .40 or .45 (although the P345 is fine, I own one) I might consider getting one of those.

Mark L.

I always thought I'd never sell mine... but after getting a 1911, my poor old P90 turned into a safe queen. So I sent it out of state to a place where it'll be appreciated... Nickle's son-in-law. He was seriously drooling over it at the Ripton shoot a few years ago, so when no one in MA wanted it, I contacted him and sent it up therre. No regrets.

Some of the design features I like... others, not so much (trigger safety, mag safety, manual safety, MA trigger, & polymer frame). The grip looks like it's very comfortable.

Eh...not the best looking guns, but Ruger pistols have always had a certain look to them. Utilitarian. No frills. The SR9 seems to fit into that category well.

I have a P95DC that's a tank. Bulky, rugged, and will eat anything. It's my least favorite pistol, but it shoots well and I cannot complain.

The only way I'd buy a pistol nowadays is if it is backwards compatible with pre-ban high cap mags.

I have one....its probably my favorite pistol to shoot....I have a Mark III that gets all the range time because its so much cheaper to fire. The SR9 is in my truck and on my quad all the time.
Luckly I have the 17 round mags....

Yay!!!! A new 9mm. With 17 round magaz.... awwwwwwwww. Nevermind.

I would like to see an LCP in 9mm. Recall aside, I still like the opportunities it presents.

Yay!!!! A new 9mm. With 17 round magaz.... awwwwwwwww. Nevermind.

I would like to see an LCP in 9mm. Recall aside, I still like the opportunities it presents.
I'd like to see something very similar to the PF-9 on the MA roster. I want one badly, but not bad enough to warrant paying more than $150 over their actual value.

The SR9 has one of the worst triggers on a handgun I have ever experienced. Would not ever consider buying one approved or not.

The MA legal Ruger KSR-9 9mm Pistol

The MA legal Ruger KSR-9 9mm Pistol. Anyone know much about these? Four Seasons hopes to have them in a few weeks.

ruger.jpg

I think the were recalled for something pretty significant, but I don't know if that issue has been resolved. I've never shot one either, but I heard they have a horrible trigger.

I like the one with the black slide and OD frame. I was looking at there website and they have supposedly fixed the issue with a Glock look alike trigger. I'm sure the trigger pull sucks but by watching a few of the video's they have available, the gun looks pretty good and they say they could not make it malfunction during range time. Some won't like the manual safety, I like it cause my carry gun is an HK and I'm used to it, but as a "new" gun in MA once a trigger job is done it might make a pretty good weapon.

The issue on the recall was that it could go off if you dropped it with the safety off and a round chambered. They resolved the issue by changing to the glock style trigger. Everything I've heard about them is good. I've never shot one but I have handled them and they feel like a smoother fitting glock in the hand. Either way its always nice to have another option for you guys in MA.

I handled a CA-complaint SR and the trigger was heavy and gritty, with a lot of pretravel. I am sure a gunsmith would fix that, just like they do with S&W MP. Usual Ruger inescapable warning/text on the frame is a turn off. For what they are, I'd take M&P gun, if in MA.
Or a Glock 19, or XD-9, or HK P2000, or HK P30.

Last edited:
As usual, the gun in Mass will have 10 round magazines. I think the gun was made to hold 16 +1.

17+1

I can't compare it to much as I have only fired a few other 9mm pistols. I DO like it better than the Beretta I used in the USCG. I find the trigger pull fine the the accuracy is very good..at least with mine. I don't know what else they did to it to make in MA compliant other than the 10 round mag. Its a work horse gun not a display it in the glass case gun...I have over a thousand rounds through mine and it has never jammed.

I also own an LCP which has not failed me yet either but it will be going back to Ruger for the Recall soon.

Back
Top Bottom