• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR9 advice

Hi,
I am thinking of getting a new Ruger SR9 where I have a great deal. I know that there were trigger issues on early models, and I will check to make sure that the serial number is above 330-30000.
I have other carry and target pistols, so I am looking for a striker fire pistol for USPSA and IDPA only.
If movey was no issue, I would go with a Glock 34 or a HP V9 or a Sig 320 (are they legal in MA ? ) but this Ruger is available for less than half the cost of these other guns (less than $300) , so I don't want to miss the chance.
Any opinions ? anything I should look out for ? I figured I could not go wrong with a new one for that price.
Thank you

i don't know about any 'trigger issues' and i have early sr9. also got it for a good deal.
other than trigger being mushy i did not find any troubles with it since i bought it. that is 3-4 years.

in any case you can replace ruger connector with a ghost rocket on the cheap too.

also don't discount rugers customer service. i haven't need to use them yet, but from what i hear their CS is excellent.

also there is no such thing as MA legal pistol. they are all legal to own.(assuming it complies with MA AWB). the only hickup that non-approved guns can not be sold to non-LEOs by MA dealers.
perfectly legal to buy/sell those through private transaction on eFA-10.

Hi,
I am thinking of getting a new Ruger SR9 where I have a great deal. I know that there were trigger issues on early models, and I will check to make sure that the serial number is above 330-30000.
I have other carry and target pistols, so I am looking for a striker fire pistol for USPSA and IDPA only.
If movey was no issue, I would go with a Glock 34 or a HP V9 or a Sig 320 (are they legal in MA ? ) but this Ruger is available for less than half the cost of these other guns (less than $300) , so I don't want to miss the chance.
Any opinions ? anything I should look out for ? I figured I could not go wrong with a new one for that price.
Thank you

For that money, I'd buy it. They're built like a tank, and while I never had a full size, my SR9C was a great shooter with a great trigger with no aftermarket help. Definitely won't win any style points, but it's a good, serviceable firearm.

I too say get it, great price. Great gun and the trigger is really good for a MA gun trigger right outta the box. One of the best bang for the buck guns around. I paid $382 at Four Seasons a few weeks ago.

A friend was looking at an SR9 and brought me along as an expert (because I owned one, therefore was an expert). I fondled two SR9s at the same time: one new, one used. The triggers were very different. I *think* they made some improvements when the SR9c came out and rolled that improved trigger into the SR9. Neither was bad, but the "new" triggers are great.

The triggers on my SR9c and SR45 feel almost identical and are awesome.

I've had to deal with Ruger's Customer Service twice. Both times they were great and their turnaround time on the one I had to send in was very quick. The other time they overnighted me a striker assembly that I ended up not needing.

For less than $300 it's a no brainer. First thing you should do is remove the striker assembly, clean the striker channel (because it should be dry yet Ruger greases it), forget to reinstall the mag disconnect safety and get to shooting.

Hi,
Thank you

You're still better off with even a G17. USPSA needs piles of magazines and i doubt SR9 cripples are cheap.

The Ruger pistols are great. They offer the two different size backstraps that you can swap out. Very comfortable pistol and a joy to shoot. They always stand behind their products and make a great firearm. The deal you are looking at sound great for that price.

I just went to MFS and shot 50 rounds on one. I love it. Soft felt recoil, trigger break is predictable. I like striker fired guns that act like SA. i.e. a positive stop right before firing, which I can not feel on the glocks. That's why I actually choose the SHield to the GLock.
21 feet, close grouping, single hole. .. well... 3 inch hole... good enough for me. I am sold. Hoping it is still available

Get a G17 (gen 2 models can be had cheap) or M&P 9 w an apex kit. The extra $$ spent is worth it.

IMO the SR9's slide serrations are awful. Also the mags springs wear out quickly. Just my experiece. Otherwise i agree it shoots nice although trigger has no discernable break as long as thats ok for you.

Last edited:
It's a nice gun for the price but the crappy mag release will likely be an issue for you for IDPA/USPSA. It was for me anyway.

The issue with the trigger was you were not supposed to dry fire without a magazine in the gun. Dry firing without the magazine in the gun was possible but damaged something. I think they corrected this.

Dry firing is possible, but it might damage the mag disconnect mechanism, if done with a mag removed. This has not been "corrected."

Of course, if one so wishes, one may remove the mag disconnect . . .

Bought a SR9 over 2 years ago and after you break it in, it's more reliable than the MBTA. Money well spent for the affordable price.

A glowing endorsement if I've ever heard one. [rolleyes]

OP, I loved my SR9 so much I got an SR9c too. I've never had any trigger issues. Only mod I made was to eliminate the empty mag disconnect. At that price, I'd definitely go for it.

I really don't understand the slide serration comment. I've never had problems with racking the slide - even when it's bitter cold out/fingers are feeling a bit sluggish.

- - - Updated - - -

The issue with the trigger was you were not supposed to dry fire without a magazine in the gun. Dry firing without the magazine in the gun was possible but damaged something. I think they corrected this.

This was actually only a problem if you left the empty mag disconnect in. One of the reasons I removed mine. I still use snap caps though.

Back
Top Bottom