• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR45

got to fondle one of these yesterday...love the grip and the weight....****ing hate the trigger. do they get better than from the factory or are there any trigger upgrades to make them better?

Removing the magazine safety improves it a little bit. I thought it was a pretty good trigger before though too.

i briefly had an SR45. the magazine springs became mush after very few rounds. the slide was already having difficulty locking back due to magazine springs. i therefore sold it as that issue seemed could become worse. unfortunately Wolff doesn'tn appear to make magazine springs for the SR series if they did I would have upgraded and kept the SR45.

watch the youtube review from Justin Opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT749pWSWCM
he encountered all kinds of issues, which seemed to be quite common up to at least 1 year ago.

unless Ruger has improved the QC on the SR45, I personally would avoid it.

Get an unmassified one order online and ship in you'll be much happier. Although I think they are ugly things

I wasn't aware non mass versions even existed - I thought all the SR pistols had the safety and lci?

They do. Triggers are the same. There is no free state trigger. Remove the mag safety and it gets a little better. I had one that was still very gritty triggered, but have tried others that are nice from the box. To th op, I would try a bunch of them and find a good one. They vary quite a bit

FYI. It will fit pretty good in a g21 holster.

Last edited:
Ditto on removing the mag disconnect safety. I had SR 9, 40 and 45 and sold them to fund other purchases, but frankly regretted the move, because they were awesome to shoot. Best MA compliant trigger out of the box without any additional work in my opinion and a price that can't be beat.

I wasn't aware non mass versions even existed - I thought all the SR pistols had the safety and lci?

They all have the stuff but the triggers vary in my opinion but I wouldn't own one so not really my forte. I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly

i briefly had an SR45. the magazine springs became mush after very few rounds. the slide was already having difficulty locking back due to magazine springs. i therefore sold it as that issue seemed could become worse. unfortunately Wolff doesn'tn appear to make magazine springs for the SR series if they did I would have upgraded and kept the SR45.

watch the youtube review from Justin Opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT749pWSWCM
he encountered all kinds of issues, which seemed to be quite common up to at least 1 year ago.

unless Ruger has improved the QC on the SR45, I personally would avoid it.

Just curious why you didn't contact Ruger directly about the issue, especially being that it was only a mag problem? I've never had to utilize their customer service, but have read it's exceptional. You may have just received mags from a bad run of springs or something like that.

Definitely remove the mag disconnect crap right away. I can do it in about 3 minutes.

I've found the triggers to be nice on the SR series guns. My SR45 had to go back because it was having all sorts of FTE problems. Ruger fixed it up and it's fantastic now. It doesn't like the hard Tula primers, but it's great with everything else.

I also like Talon Grips on mine.

Oh yeah, the slide unlocks when a new mag is inserted. I don't carry it or keep it next to the bed so I don't care that it's different from other guns.

bought one through my cousin who worked at ruger, and I love it. every time I go to the range i'll bring it along with 50-100 rds. looking to get heirloom artists grips for it after christmas

Another fan of the SR45. Mine has a great trigger and goes bang every time. I shoot it nearly as well as my 1911. It currently resides in my bedside safe.

I did the mag disconnect and it made a big difference, not having to slam the mag so it holds in place. I have the two different style retainers so here are both different versions I had the 9mm style on my 45 and the 45 style on my 9mm as far as these videos go all else is the same. easy as pie.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
My SR45 has been great.

Over 1,000 rounds thru it with out an issue.

It has great ergonomics.

Just curious why you didn't contact Ruger directly about the issue, especially being that it was only a mag problem? I've never had to utilize their customer service, but have read it's exceptional. You may have just received mags from a bad run of springs or something like that.

agree ruger CS is excellent. i'm sure they would have taken care of me. basically i got rid of the SR45 because i found myself shooting primarily the sig P220 and M&P 45 the most. no question the SR45 has awesome ergos, but i just felt like the build quality left something to be desired. the mag springs getting weak after so few rounds really had me scratching my head. also wolff doesn't produce many springs for ruger mags which is a real bummer. the wolff springs in the M&P 45 mags are amazing. make running a 10+1 so much easier and the springs last near forever.

i've basically come to the conclusion that the newer ruger autoloaders just aren't for me. i really love the P series. Picked up a P97DC last year and it's an awesome firearm. i'm in the marked now for a P90 given mags are compatible.

I did the mag disconnect and it made a big difference, not having to slam the mag so it holds in place. I have the two different style retainers so here are both different versions I had the 9mm style on my 45 and the 45 style on my 9mm as far as these videos go all else is the same. easy as pie.

Dean

Honestly. This is the only striker gun I'd recommend pulling the striker out and cleaning everything out. Both mine new we're full of grease when I went to pull out the mag discos on them

Last edited by a moderator:
What are these magazine things everyone is talking about? Is it something good or bad? Why all the histrionics for a new gun? Do Glock people have to do this? M&P people? Kahr? I like my Rugers, and this sounds good, but what's up here?

I'm assuming you dry fired it? With empty magazine in or without a magazine? They'll dry fire without a magazine (even with the mag disconnector) but with an absolutely horrible pull. Empty magazine in, trigger pull completely different.

Back
Top Bottom