Ruger SR1911 Rust in the Mag Release Button

I have 2 Ruger SR1911's and a SR1911 Commander..... I was stripping down one 1911 and when I took the mag release button out and disassembled it, it was LOADED with rust on the spring, plunger and inside the button release.....I was really surprised to find this....

I took apart my 2 other Ruger SR1911's and sure enough they were rusting in the mag release button as well...

I also own some Colts and Kimbers and they were all fine.... just the Rugers had rust....( cleaned and oiled with Kroil afterwards )

If you own a Ruger SR1911, you might want to take the mag release button out and check it for rust......simple to check....

someone had a thread on this a while back...there were a few people that had some rusty rugers....I will search for it and post if i can find it

I had a Taurus pt1911 rust up internally so bad that I couldn't operate the mag release as well, which was strange because I always properly cared for it.

someone had a thread on this a while back...there were a few people that had some rusty rugers....I will search for it and post if i can find it
Yep. Fairly common for reasons I can't quite understand in a stainless steel pistol. It's the only thing stopping me from buying my own Ruger SR1911. [thinking]

I had some issues with my Ruger SR1911 but the rust and black marks were on the slide and frame. I owned the gun for over a year and then it sat for about a month and the rust appeared. Ruger replaced it no questions asked. I've had the new one for a while and don't let it sit long without at least wiping it down with an oily rag or disassembling and cleaning it if it's been to the range. I'll have to check the mag release button. I'd call Ruger and see what they have to say, they treated me great.

The rust was inside the mag release button....as in all over the plunger and spring inside the mag release......you'd have to rotate the little screw/plunger on the RH side of the mag release to pop it out and look inside it where the spring resides...... you would never know unless you popped it out and checked.

I wish I did take pictures... I have a very early SR1911 up to a very recent SR1911 Commander...all had rust ' inside ' the mag release....

Excuse the poor pic but I had to check mine out. This is from an SR1911 which was test fired in January 2013 (25 months ago). It looks reddish brown to me. The Q-tip shows how much I was able to take out of the inside (plus a little bit more on another). However, thanks to the OP I now know how to remove and check this piece.

I cleaned it to the best of my ability and put a little CLP on all parts before re-assembling.

IMG_0567_zps8eb63121.jpg

Rust can form on stainless if it's not passivated after machining. (tramp iron from drills/cutters sticks is the surface - passivating dissolves this with acid)
Are you using steel mags? that would have the same effect.

try Zerust capsules/bags/tabs if your gun box/safe too:
http://www.zerustproducts.com/firearms-weapons/?zenid=249987c9c1c82e1714ebc627a244f310

Tool selection can remove the need after milling and turning. I use titanium coated mills/drills and cutters and don't run into this. All the tooling I used on iron I keep separated from my stainless.
Rough cutting like band saw grinding etc , much more of a need for it.

That mag release looks to be blued steel not stainless.

Along with the slide stop, thumb safety, grip safety, mainspring housing, and the sites (front and rear). But I am not sure if these are blackened stainless steel or blued steel.

I have 2 Ruger SR1911's and a SR1911 Commander..... I was stripping down one 1911 and when I took the mag release button out and disassembled it, it was LOADED with rust on the spring, plunger and inside the button release...

It could be rust.

But not every kind of reddish goop on a Ruger is rust:

RugerForum.com: Odd SR22 Rust

Example:
My (bought new) Mk. III 22/45 had rust-colored lube coating some tidbits.
In particular, the safety assembly had so much that you could see it
smeared on the "S" and "F" stampings.

It might have been similar in color to ATF, but tacky.
No amount of Q-tip twirling removed it all - that took a detail strip.

On the other hand, my (bought new) SR1911CMD had no red stuff on/in
the magazine catch, catch spring, or catch lock.

Last edited:
I had rust on my slide which ruger replaced. Im afraid to remove my grips and take a closer look.

I just checked my one year old full size SR1911, there was no rust inside the mag catch assembly where the spring goes, just dirt & grime on the outside of the assembly.
Didn't realize how easy it is to remove and reinstall this part.

Back
Top Bottom