• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR1911 Commander in 9mm? Help me out

Sparky1911

NES Member
Hey NES. New to the online thing. Got some questions on a gun I'm thinking about buying. My buddy is a "green" member and turned me on to this site and said it's a wealth of knowledge. So I'll give it a go
Looking at buying a used Ruger 1911 in 9mm commander length. I have a few 1911's as they are my favorite, but never in 9mm. Questions...
Should I get a "Ruger"? How is their quality?
does a full size 1911 cycle 9mm well/reliably?
is $700 to much used, but looks mint?
thanks a lot!!

Rugers are generally very solid. Have an AR-15 ( bought 4 days before curtain dropped last July) and a MkII .22 cal pistol. Don't know the gun you're looking at specifically, but look it over thoroughly as you would anyone else's used gun. As far as value, I'd look up the exact model on Ruger's site for list price. Then look at gunbroker.com for reference on new and used prices dealers' are asking for the same. If you're saving a few $ versus those prices, and it checks out, why not?

I was at the range today with a few of my Rugers, my Gp100, my MKIII Hunter and my newest Ruger, a Sr1911 9mm commander. I enjoyed shooting the Gp100, I really enjoyed shooting the Hunter but when I picked up the 1911 I couldn't put it down. I was shooting steel at 25 yds and couldn't miss. I put 3 boxes through it with no issues, very accurate and was very comfortable to shoot. I bought it from the NES classifieds about a month ago, I've been to the range a few times and put over 500 rounds through it with no problems. Cabela's has them on sale for $50 off. I don't think you will regret it if you bought one. I paid a little less with an extra mag and a new Alien Holster.

Last edited:
1911s annoy the crap out of me... but I kinda want the Ruger. So there's that.

My buddy has been telling me about this site for a year or two. Just finally signed up. I literally have spent HOURS Surfing the many pages. Awesome place. And yes I am going to become a green member this week!!! I think I've already got my $20 worth of knowledge and chuckles in a day. Thanks NES

my brief experience w a ruger SR1911 lightweight model was not good. thumb safety was not at all positive, way too easy to engage/disengage, gun was very picky with magazine likely due to incorrect extractor tension, point-of-impact was ridiculously low ~6" at 10 yards. frame rails showed absurd degree of wear in just a few hundred rounds. overall build quality just felt cheap. that gun did not stay with me.

there are countless reports of the ruger 1911 frames rusting. i've seen their guns brand new with rust while still in the shop for sale. awful. just awful. this is a sign of Ruger's general approach to firearms production, which is to crank out as much as possible at the expense of quality. reality is that most gun purchasers do not shoot their firearms, so the defective elements don't really show up. Ruger isn't the only company taking this shameful approach.

I've owned countless of their firearms over the years and I think all but a few have gone back to them for fixing within the first hundred rounds. in defense of Ruger, they have either fixed the issues or completely replaced the gun. each replacement gun I've received works perfectly which is proof they have a "special" stash of firearms they probably keep for themselves and reviewers. I am still loyal to Ruger because their CS is strong, otherwise I would avoid their products all together.

that being said, most of Ruger's guns are overpriced including their 1911's. for that price range I would take a rock island or remington R1 anyday (yes Remington/FG makes trash too but their 1911's are solid). i've owned all three and still have the rock island. for more $$ the Sig 1911 would be an even better choice as it has excellent front strap checkering, better fit-finish, adjustable sights, etc.

Gartman Arms in Wrentham has a nice selection of 1911's. if i were in the market i would start there.

The problems that were incurred by chambering 9mm in the 1911 platform have been solved. No problems there.

I have. Ruger 1911 CMD in .45 ACP. I love the gun. Best in its class I think. The SR1911 in 9mm should be a very good gun because generally speaking Ruger makes very good guns. I have owned and currently own many Ruger Firearms and my experience is the direct opposite of squib308's. (Sometimes for reasons unexplained, a person will have chronic bad luck with a particular brand. I've driven VW's for almost 50 years on and off because I've had good luck with them, yet I've heard horror stories from other VW owners).

700 seems high to me. If you are going to be shelling out that much money, buy new IMO.

Last edited:
I have Ruger SR1911 .45 and I have some other guns made by Ruger. They are well built and reliable. I love SR1911! Price is a little bit on the high side.
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

+1 on the Ruger SR1911. I got mine in full size (5" barrel). Shoots like a dream right out of the box. I paid just under $700 cash for mine brand new. Think FS sells them for around $725 these days.

Back
Top Bottom