Ruger SP101

What is a Ruger SP101 in excelent shape worth for private sale or trade in chambered in .38 Special I called Ruger they said the manufactured date was 1989. I bought it this year at a local gun shop and want to trade up to a .357 Ruger SP101. Any thoughts out there would be appreicated. Thanks Mike.

Good places to look are the big online auction sites, GunBroker and GunsAmerica. Generally, you can see what your gun is going for on the open market and in what condition, then decide if you want to sell fast by asking less, or wait for the right buyer to come around and offer at a higher price.

My guess would be $350 +/- 25 which is hopefully, about what you have into it since it was just bought recently.

To heavy IMO. But you like it,.....hey, you only live once. Trade in? under 50 bucks in same condition, or maybe a tad more. Nice item, but a little to heavy having shot a few Ti SW models, or Rossies. JMO

Last edited:
As an after thought, were the cylinder lengths of the Sp101 in 38 and 357 consistant? IF so, you might get ruger to fit a 357 cylinder to your existing gun.
(Personally, I would just keep the 38 flavor. i've never felt undergunned with +P ammo.)

If I remember right, cant you chamber both the .38 and the .357 using the same gun? Or is that only if you have a .357 model, then that can shoot .38's?

Like your choice though, ive only fired a .38 once but a .357 many times and like the .357 far more as accuracy and power goes.

Back
Top Bottom