Ruger sp101 shot out forcing cone or not? Back from Ruger update!!!!

I'd be curious to see how Ruger handles this. It almost seems like its not a warentee issue. The gun isnt defective, its worn out from proper use. I'm a Smith guy, but will be following to see how Ruger handles it. Not sure I've ever seen a worn out forcing cone. Almost seems it would be worth it for Ruger to just replace the gun with a ne one. Btw props to you for shooting 357 out of a snub. Must have some grip strength.
There is a difference between companies. S&W and Ruger tend to repair almost forever (though Ruger does not hesitate to drop older guns like the Speed Six and Security Six off the support list), whereas Sig is fond of the expression "that gun had an acceptable service life, we suggest you buy a new one."

Ruger has a lifetime warranty.Ruger has a lifetime warranty.
Actually not, but they provide long term service. They do not issue any warranty in order to avoid the complexities of compliance with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Called ruger they issued me an rma number and the address to ship it to in Newport nh. Guy said to use FedEx or ups and get it out today or wait until july 5th because they close for plant shut down next week and they don't want the gun sitting waiting for delivery to them.

The rep didn't ask any questions just said if the cone shows cracks send it back.

To be safe I will probably wait until july 5th to send it out.

Last edited:
Called ruger they issued me an rma number and the address to ship it to in Newport nh. Guy said to use FedEx or ups and get it out today or wait until july 5th because they close for plant shut down next week and they don't want the gun sitting waiting for delivery to them.

The rep didn't ask any questions just said if the cone shows cracks send it back.

To be safe I will probably wait until july 5th to send it out.

Srsly, you could have it back by then. Take it shooting on Independence Day!

Best of luck.

Srsly, you could have it back by then. Take it shooting on Independence Day!

Best of luck.
I went home at lunch break and cleaned her up. I'll swing by ups this afternoon and overnight it. I don't want to be that long without it.

Last edited:
Got the package from Ruger this afternoon.

Replaced barrel
Inspected
Cleaned
Buffed out handling marks
Function check
Range tested

The gun looks brand new! They actually buffed out all the scratches and the whole gun has a uniform looking finish again.

Ruger customer service gets a 12 out of 10 in my book. 17 days from when I shipped it to get it back to my door. 7 year old gun worn out from plain old use and they not only replaced the barrel but cleaned it up and polished the scratches. Amazing.

I'll range test her myself Saturday.

Glad to hear it. I remember pre 9/11 dropping off a revolver for some trouble shooting. I didn't realize it would come overnight to my house to be returned. I got home and it was between my doors. It looked brand new, I swear every consumable part was replaced, all old parts returned and a couple of stickers to boot. They are utilitarian grade for sure but I do like them revolvers. I only paid for the one 'extra' I asked for. lol I doubt if you lived near by you could just drop anything off these days.

It took 17 days but the factory was closed for 7
of those days. So it would have been a 10 day
turnaround if not for the vacation. I’m a Ruger
guy. Always loved their firearms.

Glad to hear. I understand that any product will have its detractors but I've never had I single problem from Ruger, 8 pistols of various flavor and a few rifles. All work superbly.

There’s a liability issue there for Ruger. If they won’t repair the firearm and you keep shooting it (bad idea but beyond Ruger’s control) the thing will eventually fail, possibly catastrophically. You could be injured. You could then sue Ruger. Maybe you win or maybe you don’t. The cost of litigating that exceeds the cost of repairing that pistol in about the first 15 minutes. It’s smart business for Ruger to take care of this- satisfies customer, good word of mouth and so on.

I bought my first revolver, a used GP100 6" several years back. First 6 rounds were great. after the third round after reloading the cylinder wouldn't turn. Fiddled a bit, took it back to the LGS, they fiddled a bit. Put it in a box, sent it back to Ruger for me, called me EIGHT DAYS later to come pick it up. They cleaned it, polished it, replaced every wear part and spring, tested it and sent it back. No charge. I have seven Ruger revolvers now, planning a couple more.

I'm in Whacko's camp:)

Glad to hear. I understand that any product will have its detractors but I've never had I single problem from Ruger, 8 pistols of various flavor and a few rifles. All work superbly.
My Ruger collection consists of

Sp101 357
Single 10
22/45 pistol
10-22 target tactical

I enjoy all of them.....all are reliable as hell and no mechanical issues other than the worn out cone on the one I just sent back. Absolutely no complaints.

I also own a couple of Henry's which have also been fantastic guns. A 410 lever action shotgun and a 22lr.

My next purchase may be a 38/357 Henry carbine. Im heavy into reloading now and realized quick that I can make a ton of range ammo for a lever action in 38/357 for cheap money plus if I decide to hunt nh in a rifle zone Hornady makes some hot 357 loads that would be good for deer.

But......with my recent experience with Ruger customer service a 45 acp pistol cal carbine might become my top pick for the next gun in the safe......well....if they release a 45acp version by the time I'm ready to buy.

Ruger would have been well within their rights to refuse any warranty repair. Seems like the damage was not the result of bad workmanship, but rather just unavoidable wear and tear from heavy use.

That being said, fixing this is cheap PR for Ruger. I imagine that for all the guns that Ruger sells, only a small fraction ever get fired enough to reach mechanical failure. Nice to know that Ruger will go above and beyond in supporting their products.

Awesome results. I wonder if they wanted the old barrel for science.

I have had two customer service experiences with Ruger and both were 10/10. What I really like is they don't walk you down some troubleshooting flowchart when you call. Within the first couple of minutes they're sending you an RMA and shipping label. One of the times I had to talk the woman out of that; she just sent me the part to replace myself (SR striker assy).

Got the package from Ruger this afternoon.

Replaced barrel
Inspected
Cleaned
Buffed out handling marks
Function check
Range tested

The gun looks brand new! They actually buffed out all the scratches and the whole gun has a uniform looking finish again.

Ruger customer service gets a 12 out of 10 in my book. 17 days from when I shipped it to get it back to my door. 7 year old gun worn out from plain old use and they not only replaced the barrel but cleaned it up and polished the scratches. Amazing.

I'll range test her myself Saturday.
Damn[shocked]

Ruger has some of the best customer service in the industry.

Currently own:

10/22 TD
MKIV Competition Model
MKIV 22/45 LITE
No Ruger wheel guns? Besides the 10/22 and Mark series 22 pistols their revolvers are imo what they are really known for.

I loved my M77’s when they were big sales items for
Ruger. Now it seems they don’t put much effort into
them. This was back in the 80’s. I had a 22-250 with
the bull varmint barrel and a 30-06 laminated stock
tapered barrel. Stupidest thing I’ve ever done selling them.

I got an Old Army (Ruger's modernized BP revolver) that has to be one of the neatest pieces of retro-modern engineering ever. Ruger makes great stuff. I've never had to send anything back but it seems that, even though a gun company can't stand behind their stuff forever, Ruger really does seem to take fixing QC issues and related wear/tear stuff seriously. Up there with Glock and Marlin (pre Rem), at the very least.

I loved my M77’s when they were big sales items for
Ruger. Now it seems they don’t put much effort into
them. This was back in the 80’s. I had a 22-250 with
the bull varmint barrel and a 30-06 laminated stock
tapered barrel. Stupidest thing I’ve ever done selling them.
For awhile I was eyeballing a bolt action Ruger in 204 Ruger because I was into odd ball Calibers and man....204 Ruger is stupid fast. 32 grain bullet going 4200fps. That one just never seemed to take off like they thought it would.

i've been a ruger fan for years although my experience with that redhawk 45 colt/.45 acp when it first came out soured me a bit. that went back 3x iirc. last time i test fired a box of each and just put it in the safe. it hasn't seen daylight since.

years ago i was a collector mainly of their single actions and mkI's. i put 200+ in an auction in '94 when i moved to colorado cause i didn't want to tote them out with me. also had a pretty fair collection of old empty gun boxes and ephemera that went on ebay. one gun that i kept cause the original owner sent it back for the safety conversion and a reblue, but it was made in my birth year. i have never fired it or even turned the cylinder since i've owned it, going on 30 years.

rbh1 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom