• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SP101 - Keep or sell?

Hello all.

I have a 2.25" DAO (Hammerless) Ruger SP101 that I love and have had for going on 3 years now. I carry it often, but with some hesitation. I've put around 300 or so .357's down the pipe and no matter how I change my grip or adjust my trigger pull my "groups" if you can call them that, are always low and to the right on the paper (barely) at 35'.

I pretty sure it's not a recoil/flinch problem, as I've had a S&W Sigma .40 that I could always shoot nice groups with at point of aim (too bad the trigger sucked, hence the Ruger).

I typically shoot 110gr SJHP .357's, and after a bit of research I've found that this might be the culprit. Because it couldn't be my shooting of course! [smile]

Am I asking too much of this snubby? Is this just a point blank type of situation firearm (<10 yards)? Is this something that can be remedied? Or should I just throw in the towel and find a more accurate 9mm or .40 for CCW?

I'm not married to the idea of a wheel gun or auto one way or another, I've owned both, and I've liked both. I hope this thread doesn't turn into that old chestnut.

Thanks in advance.

I have the same gun. It seems to shoot best with heavy bullets. Try some 158 grain bullets. I also filed my front sight down a bit because it was hitting low. I handloaded a bunch of different rounds 158g lswc and plated flat points. The target below was me blowing through about 100 rounds of various loads at about 33 feet. That's a 3 inch bullseye.

snub_4diffammo.jpg

Last edited:
I have one - pretty much only use .38's. Would not carry it as it is too bulky for me, but have had no praticular problems with accuracy for short distance (as suggested above). Just a fun gun for me.

Personally, I don't get attached to any one gun for long. They are like trading cards for me. So if I felt like you seem to...I would probably find it, well, being traded. [grin]

I would have to agree with MassMark on this one, its short barrel is designed for short distances, up to twenty-twentyfive feet. If you are interested in selling it let me know. I'm looking to buy that exact gun. PM me and let me know.

A 2 or 3 inch barreled revolver is not inherently inaccurate. Ther're just less forgiving, but if you practice , they'll make you a better shot. Here are a few things to try. Have someone load the gun with live rounds and empty cases. The slightest flinch will be painfully obvious. Are you right handed? If you shoot a small revolver with a fairly heavy trigger pull, and you shoot it double action, the gun is sometimes pulled to the right by the trigger finger. Try shooting single action and see if that problem goes away. Last is the ammo. Heavy bullets tend to hit higher. If you're not flinching your shots low, you may need heavier bullets or a shorter front sight. As others have said, practice with .38 spl would be helpfull.

I have an SP101 that I was not a very good sht with. When I was starting to get into cowboy action, I asked the smith working on my cowboy guns about working on the SP. After a trigger job and some other work, I shoot it much better. It is pretty good with .357 and .38 Golddots though I only shoot those occasionally due to the price.

Most 38 and 357 revolvers, no matter what the barrel length, are more accurate when you use 158gr bullets. S&W uses 158gr bullets to test all of theirs.

Thanks for all of the replies.

The range that I shoot at has an indoor range that you can shoot no closer than 35'. I'm sure some of you know where I'm talking about. So it's a weather/light permitting thing to shoot at shorter distances outside.

I have not tried a lighter hammer spring, but I don't particularly have a problem with the trigger pull. Yes, it is a bit heavy, but it is quite smooth. I can't do a single action/double action comparison with this gun as it is a hammerless DAO.

I'm past the point of flinching with this gun. I've done the empty case/live round test on myself by spinning the cylinder before locking it up. No detectable flinch.

I can't personally see the reason for shooting .38's in this pistol as I believe it was designed with .357's in mind. If I were going to shoot only .38's, I probably would have gone with a lighter S&W J frame revolver.

I think I might try some heavier bullets before I throw in the towel, but Drew, and others, if I do decide to part with this, rest assured it will be posted here on Northeastshooters.

Thanks folks!

Back
Top Bottom