Ruger sales tank

A cracked frame or slide might be a different issue, but I'm ok with it...
1668552489737.png

CZ almost lost me as a customer during the plandemic when my Bren 2ms went down. They were claiming they weren’t going to warranty a gun that was less than a year old because I wasn’t the original purchaser. It was over gassed and I kept breaking a roll pin inside the locks the front pin (unnecessary to RUN the gun, but less safe if dropped).

CZ customer service

1668552643683.png
1668552712389.png

Smith and Wesson owners rejoicing in Rugers sales tanking, not realizing they carry the same type of mass produced and mass marketed flaming turd

1668553022732.png

I’m obviously on the other side of the fence, but I appreciate your perspective.

To me, if you sell something with a lifetime warranty, you’re required to back that up until your company no longer exists. The entire reason I bought it was because it checked the ‘made in America’ box AND the ‘lifetime warranty’ box in my wants for an O/U.

I’ll probably sell it and buy another chainsaw or some goats. Something more useful than it has proven to be.

I'm closer to your side of the fence than you think.

I fully agree with you....if they made it and sold it with a lifetime warranty.....they should service it forever. I'm not enthralled by the fact that I gotta use my two red labels with kid gloves, and if one happens to break I'm effed.

Your also not the only one with Ruger hate that I know due to the Red Label few guys at my club wont mention their name either.

I recognize it as a business decision.....and they will lose customers by it.

That said, they make some other products that Ive bought that have worked well and saved me money over buying higher priced brands and stay american made.
The more american gun companies the better...... and compared to Smith and Remington....I think Ruger is one of the better american brands.

A new goat certainly won't let you down! [cheers]

Marlin is a waste of time when you usually can buy a Henry lever for less most of the time and get a better gun. Every newer marlin ive touched ive been like "meh".

Imo the only reason they're still relevant is because they have a few pretty finished models like stainless etc. If it wasn't for that and their marketing budget/legacy/name they'd be getting crushed. Not to mention Henry took forever to get into the sidegate game. Time will tell.
I agree....time will tell. This lever craze won't go on forever. And there are other more pricy brands like Winchester (Browning/Miroku) that are way nicer if you want to empty your wallet on a nice lever, its out there.

I've seen some crappy Henry's where wood to metal fit was ass. That said they mostly make a nice gun......and I think their warranty and owner is a stand up guy and does a lot for 2A and the community.

I like having Marlin in the mix....the more the better for the consumer. That said, my next gun will likely be a Henry .44 mag steel big boy.

Everything changes...

Kinda like the old Sears Craftsman warranty. A once great value-added incentive to the buyer became a colossal money-sink for the seller.
I never buy anything on the Warranty alone, but it is a consideration. Take a recent Ruger Wrangler .22 revolver I bought a few weeks ago.
$189 out the door. There is no way I would expect much in the likelihood of a warranty request.

But I have in the past received new replacement grip panels that had a small hairline crack from overtightening (factory assembly related)
and a cylinder base pin (rod that cylinder spins on and holds cyl. in frame.) on another Wrangler I own. Ruger shipped out both parts within a week.
I have had zero issues with it since the repair. $40 dollars in parts (plus shipping) at no cost to me on a $190 gun. I'm happy with that... 😍

One last comment. I worked for Harley-Davidson for 3 decades and watched their factory warranty turn to shit right before my eyes. Everything changes...
~Enbloc
Both my wife and I each own a Wrangler. They're fun pistols to shoot and for the price, built fairly well and quite accurate. Would I expect the same quality as my 1983 Colt Python or even my Ruger 22/45 Mk2? Nope, but they are what they are (and a helluva lot easier to clean than my Mk2). I've used mine to dispatch some nuisance rodents and it did very well.

Has Ruger ever had a lifetime warranty??? People say all the time that their firearms have lifetime warranties but I have never seen anything in writing that is the case. In fact, I do not believe they have any written warranty (but are known for great customer service if there is a problem, as long as the firearm is still in production and parts are available).

There is no warranty card supplied with Ruger firearms, there is something that states:

"Your firearm was not shipped with a warranty card because:
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as “limited” or as “full” and sets minimum standards for a “full” warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either “limited” or “full,” rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties vary from state to state you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms."

Last edited:
Has Ruger ever had a lifetime warranty??? People say all the time that their firearms have lifetime warranties but I have never seen anything in writing that is the case. In fact, I do not believe they have any written warranty (but are known for great customer service if there is a problem, as long as the firearm is still in production and parts are available).

There is no warranty card supplied with Ruger firearms, there is something that states:

"Your firearm was not shipped with a warranty card because:
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as “limited” or as “full” and sets minimum standards for a “full” warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either “limited” or “full,” rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties vary from state to state you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms."
Yep. They will repair your firearm if they want to and for as long as they want to.

I will say they have been great at sending me parts/screws for free and servicing one revolver (and I own and have owned a bunch of Rugers) I had to send back in.
Same here. Ruger has always shipped repair parts fast and for free to me too. Excellent Customer Service in my opinion.

My guess is for their older firearms the support may taper off, because for business reasons...it has to.

Same here. Ruger has always shipped repair parts fast and for free to me too. Excellent Customer Service in my opinion.

My guess is for their older firearms the support may taper off, because for business reasons...it has to.

Exactly, they, as well as any other company, cannot be expected to produce/maintain a supply of parts to repair every model of firearm they ever made, it is not profitable and just does not make sense. Does it suck if your firearm breaks and it is one that is no longer in production and the parts are not available, yes.

Old guns get kept and used for a long time compared to many other products. Chances are you are still driving a 50 year old car is slim (yeah, I know about the restoration hobby/business) but it is very common for someone to have a modern era gun decades old. My HI Standard 22 may be 50+ years old an my Ruger Security Six at least 35 years old, probably more. Even Dillon does not maintain parts for it's original RL100 loader. Tory Bilt no longer sells parts for my snowblower (which is being karmaed to the guy across the street once my Ariens arrives).

I agree....time will tell. This lever craze won't go on forever. And there are other more pricy brands like Winchester (Browning/Miroku) that are way nicer if you want to empty your wallet on a nice lever, its out there.

I've seen some crappy Henry's where wood to metal fit was ass. That said they mostly make a nice gun......and I think their warranty and owner is a stand up guy and does a lot for 2A and the community.

I like having Marlin in the mix....the more the better for the consumer. That said, my next gun will likely be a Henry .44 mag steel big boy.
I’ve seen a few Henry’s they just look like zinc type crap. I rather just look for an older lever action, since they have nice blue & wood.

I've been very happy with Ruger. 6 new pistols/revolvers in a year and a half. Customer service has been excellent too. I'm a fan...

They have been much better than Smith & Wesson on both counts.

the best customer service is that which you never need. What service did you need on (any of) SIX guns in such a short time?

Ruger’s parts department can get bent. Ruger refuses to sell parts unless they came on your gun from the factory. I can’t buy a MkIII 22/45 frame with replaceable grip panels, because my MkIII came with the non-replaceable frame. Even though it is 100% compatible.
Retail or warranty a part? They should sell you anything you want. If they restrict warranty parts to original configuration only, that's their option.
For what it's worth, when I order retail parts through Ruger, they never even ask what I'm going to use it on...

Serial number is on the upper receiver on that model, right?

Retail or warranty a part? They should sell you anything you want. If they restrict warranty parts to original configuration only, that's their option.
For what it's worth, when I order retail parts through Ruger, they never even ask what I'm going to use it on...

Serial number is on the upper receiver on that model, right?
Retail.. kind of? The part I’m talking about has to be obtained through their service department because they don’t sell it otherwise. And yes, the serial number is on the upper/barrel. That’s another thing, Ruger’s mind boggling decision to serialize the barrel.

Retail. And yes, the serial number is on the upper/barrel. That’s another thing, Ruger’s mind boggling decision to serialize the barrel.
I just tried to find a frame on Ruger Parts webpage and none are listed. Are you calling in and talking to a sales rep?

Also, maybe a MkIII frame/part is being restricted for future warranty applications and is not available for retail???

Spit balling here...

EDIT: Just saw your post above...

Retail.. kind of? The part I’m talking about has to be obtained through their service department because they don’t sell it otherwise. And yes, the serial number is on the upper/barrel. That’s another thing, Ruger’s mind boggling decision to serialize the barrel.
Have you dumped a bunch of work and/or accessories into the one you own. but would like to add grip panels of your choosing? If not, you seem like the kind of guy who couldn't be stopped at achieving his goal. Could just buy a Mk 3 22/45 and move stuff over to the new gun and sell (or keep) the old one... 🤔

More work and cash outlay... but worth it.

There are also youtube videos on modifying the non-replaceable grip frame to accept panels.

Last edited:
Yeah, threaded the barrel and drilled/tapped the barrel for a lower picatinny section. Also did my own conversion of the frame to accept grip panels before they updated the MkIII 22/45 to accept panels, but a factory one would be much better. Basically, the mod makes my resale value a pittance. The gun is still useable and shoots great, but the whole thing is very annoying. And I’m not going to spend $300+ for a Volquartsen frame.

If I do get another .22lr pistol without a reciprocating slide, it’ll be a Browning Buckmark.
Yeah. You don't seem like the "bone-stock" type. 🤔 [rofl]

And there's the part that screams "MkIII" right there... [smile]

1668705197437.png

Ruger used to have some innovative stuff, back when they were manufacturing big caliber revolvers and competing against Freedom Arms and S&W to see who could create the biggest revolver.

But those days are over.

S&W blows.

Ruger threw all their revolvers to the side and focused on sh*t plastic pistols.

FA keeps doing good, but nothing new in a while, they dont need to.

Magnum Research stepped up and is the only one building cool stuff, thanks to the Kahr group.

Recently Ruger released their SFAR rifle and S&W the 350 Legend revolver. But I won't hold my breath for innovation like they used to do.

Let's be honest, the 10/22 and the .22 handguns are what is keeping Ruger alive.

Damn. Don't know what they did to you fellers, but when I bought a 50-year-old "Excellent Condition" "Worked perfectly when it left our shop" Bearcat recently off GB (Red's Trading Post in Idaho), I had to send it to Ruger, who told me it was beyond repair. But because they didn't want me to be sad, they offered to replace it with a new one. Free.
Ruger customer service seems to vary depending on who you end up talking to. Reading this thread and feedback from others, it seems Ruger's QC and customer service is dropping off and probably has been since Covid began as people who were working there likely took the gov't money, left, and never went back. Now it's shitheads for replacements who are being driven by shit management to deny, but give in if it sounds like someone who isn't a noob.

I think a lot of what Ruger was pumping out in 2020 and 2021 was slapped together crap, some with known parts that were out of spec, just to meet orders. Now that ammo is available and people are wiping off the packing oil for their guns they bought years ago to shoot them for the first time only to find out there are issues, Ruger CS is playing with people saying there's an x number of year warranty because management is seeing how much it's costing them to repair the shit.

And Ruger isn't the only company doing this most likely, but to hear this after all the glowing reviews of their customer service for years speaks volumes.

Ruger used to have some innovative stuff, back when they were manufacturing big caliber revolvers and competing against Freedom Arms and S&W to see who could create the biggest revolver.

But those days are over.

S&W blows.

Ruger threw all their revolvers to the side and focused on sh*t plastic pistols.

FA keeps doing good, but nothing new in a while, they dont need to.

Magnum Research stepped up and is the only one building cool stuff, thanks to the Kahr group.

Recently Ruger released their SFAR rifle and S&W the 350 Legend revolver. But I won't hold my breath for innovation like they used to do.

Let's be honest, the 10/22 and the .22 handguns are what is keeping Ruger alive.
It's been a few years, but Ruger did bring out an 8 shot .357 Redhawk and the .45 ACP moon clip cut Redhawk as well as 10mm revolvers. They've also expanded the LCR line, but that was a slow process. Truth is, there isn't much left for Ruger to add for revolvers. They're clearly not going to do a .410/.45, they're not going to go larger than .454 or .480 in caliber, they don't seem interested in bringing the Old Army back, and all they did with the Wrangler is copy Heritage and make a few modifications.

I've been wanting them to bring out a .32 HR Mag or .38 Spl version of the Wrangler, but make the frame as big as the Blackhawk for strength and price it at $250. That would sell very well. Another idea I've seen floated that I would love is a large frame version of the LCR, something about the size of an L frame, and call is the LSR- Lightweight Service Revolver. Larger cylinder means higher capacity, larger grip means better control, same cam firing system to reduce trigger pull weight, same polymer frame section to reduce weight, heck, could even just call it a Super LCR.

Ruger is a big corporate company tho and all they care about is what sells and the autos are what sells.

It's been a few years, but Ruger did bring out an 8 shot .357 Redhawk and the .45 ACP moon clip cut Redhawk as well as 10mm revolvers. They've also expanded the LCR line, but that was a slow process. Truth is, there isn't much left for Ruger to add for revolvers. They're clearly not going to do a .410/.45, they're not going to go larger than .454 or .480 in caliber, they don't seem interested in bringing the Old Army back, and all they did with the Wrangler is copy Heritage and make a few modifications.

I've been wanting them to bring out a .32 HR Mag or .38 Spl version of the Wrangler, but make the frame as big as the Blackhawk for strength and price it at $250. That would sell very well. Another idea I've seen floated that I would love is a large frame version of the LCR, something about the size of an L frame, and call is the LSR- Lightweight Service Revolver. Larger cylinder means higher capacity, larger grip means better control, same cam firing system to reduce trigger pull weight, same polymer frame section to reduce weight, heck, could even just call it a Super LCR.

Ruger is a big corporate company tho and all they care about is what sells and the autos are what sells.
I mean honestly they are about at their limit for everything.

And other than the sr9/40/45 series they don't make hideous products... i think the mark series look a little slow kid but people like them

But the lcp series are great pocket guns
The max series hits a good price point in the 1.5 market

They release new stuff oftenish

They have mid to 5k 1911s and shottys

They need a better name for their 7 62... sfar is dumb but it looks like a great ar10 better than aero and sw

But there really isn't much they don't offer

I mean honestly they are about at their limit for everything.

And other than the sr9/40/45 series they don't make hideous products... i think the mark series look a little slow kid but people like them

But the lcp series are great pocket guns
The max series hits a good price point in the 1.5 market

They release new stuff oftenish

They have mid to 5k 1911s and shottys

They need a better name for their 7 62... sfar is dumb but it looks like a great ar10 better than aero and sw

But there really isn't much they don't offer
Ruger has 5k 1911s? 🤣

Back
Top Bottom