Ruger sales tank

Sturm Ruger reported quarterly net sales of $139.4 percent

Who proof reads this shit? Also record sales from covid were never going to last, this is a non- story other than gun sales are slowing, and why wouldn't they? Inflation is high, gas is high, home heating is high and we are barely into winter, we got 24 days of national diesel supply....

Wait till your lifetime warranty runs out in a few years. I have hit this wall with a GP100 and they are dead to me.
They won't fix your gun anymore? Do tell. Although honestly I find that nearly every broken gun ive dealt with was infant mortality vs something dying after a fair amount of use. I honestly don't even consider warranties on guns, as long as it covers like 2 yrs, im good.

Wait till your lifetime warranty runs out in a few years. I have hit this wall with a GP100 and I won't be giving them any more of my money.
I do most of my own gunsmithing. Anything I've ever needed they sent me within a week. A cracked frame or slide might be a different issue, but I'm ok with it...

I've been very happy with Ruger. 6 new pistols/revolvers in a year and a half. Customer service has been excellent too. I'm a fan...

They have been much better than Smith & Wesson on both counts.
Thats not a high bar anymore to beat S&W. 🤣

Sadly imo the days of vaunted lifetime warranties are gone, because the majority of buyers are dust collector club types.

They said that the policy has changed, and my gun was just over the 5(?) year window for warranty work. I argued that there was a lifetime warranty when I bought it, and they agreed to have me send it in this last time. I was having issues with it randomly locking up when cycling through rounds. They will tell you this if you call them.
Everything changes...

Kinda like the old Sears Craftsman warranty. A once great value-added incentive to the buyer became a colossal money-sink for the seller.
I never buy anything on the Warranty alone, but it is a consideration. Take a recent Ruger Wrangler .22 revolver I bought a few weeks ago.
$189 out the door. There is no way I would expect much in the likelihood of a warranty request.

But I have in the past received new replacement grip panels that had a small hairline crack from overtightening (factory assembly related)
and a cylinder base pin (rod that cylinder spins on and holds cyl. in frame.) on another Wrangler I own. Ruger shipped out both parts within a week.
I have had zero issues with it since the repair. $40 dollars in parts (plus shipping) at no cost to me on a $190 gun. I'm happy with that... 😍

One last comment. I worked for Harley-Davidson for 3 decades and watched their factory warranty turn to shit right before my eyes. Everything changes...
~Enbloc

Last edited:
Good. f*** THEM.

Them and their ‘lifetime warranty’ can piss up a rope.

Wait till your lifetime warranty runs out in a few years. I have hit this wall with a GP100 and I won't be giving them any more of my money.
Damn. Don't know what they did to you fellers, but when I bought a 50-year-old "Excellent Condition" "Worked perfectly when it left our shop" Bearcat recently off GB (Red's Trading Post in Idaho), I had to send it to Ruger, who told me it was beyond repair. But because they didn't want me to be sad, they offered to replace it with a new one. Free.

Sadly imo the days of vaunted lifetime warranties are gone, because the majority of buyers are dust collector club types.
Exactly. Give me a decent price on a well enough made "blue collar" firearm and you can keep your warranty. I'd rather have access to in-stock parts than a warranty that
may or may not fix the issue...

Damn. Don't know what they did to you fellers, but when I bought a 50-year-old "Excellent Condition" "Worked perfectly when it left our shop" Bearcat recently off GB (Red's Trading Post in Idaho), I had to send it to Ruger, who told me it was beyond repair. But because they didn't want me to be sad, they offered to replace it with a new one. Free.
I hope you didn't take it...

Six years ago and I’ve sold every ruger I have with the exception of the Red Label that caused all the frustration. I’ve kept it as a reminder to never give them another dime of my money, but I might actually sell it here soon to buy something for the farm.

What was the issue with the 50-year old?
Cylinder wouldn't rotate properly, and there was a helluva V-shaped gap at the barrel. I sent it in for the free safety upgrade and asked them to check the other issues for a repair estimate. I'm into it about $500, getting a new one with MSRP around $800, have a wife who enjoys shooting with me now that she has a gun that fits her, and she thinks revolvers are owned in pairs. I've made worse decisions.

Six years ago and I’ve sold every ruger I have with the exception of the Red Label that caused all the frustration. I’ve it as a reminder to never give them another dime of my money, but I might actually sell it here soon to buy something for the farm.

Given enough time every manufacturer will let you down. It's just a matter of time.

"If it has tits or triggers it will eventually give you problems..." 🤔

1668539685399.png

Last edited:
Cylinder wouldn't rotate properly, and there was a helluva V-shaped gap at the barrel. I sent it in for the free safety upgrade and asked them to check the other issues for a repair estimate. I'm into it about $500, getting a new one with MSRP around $800, have a wife who enjoys shooting with me now that she has a gun that fits her, and she thinks revolvers are owned in pairs. I've made worse decisions.
Shame on Red's Trading Post for doing that to you. Hopefully someone will find this info in a Google search...

S&W is totally inconsistent with what they will and won't fix. Despite the Lifetime Warranty on most 3rd Gen semi autos, if it's a frame issue you are SOL because they don't have frames and don't have interest in making them. They will offer a discount on a new polymer gun, but it's not a "free" replacement.

OTOH, I bought an almost new 351C from a guy I know. He bought it for his wife, but she put 14 rounds through it and hated the trigger. I shot it off and on for about three years and noticed that as the gun heated up, it became almost impossible to eject empty shells without using a hammer on the ejector rod.

I called customer service and then sent me a label to return it to the factory.

Got a call a few weeks later that it was "unrepairable" and that they would be sending me a replacement. I got that a few weeks later and it suffered from light primer strikes. I sent it back and they fixed it.

They never said why it was unrepairable, but my guess is that it was just cheaper to crush it and give me a new gun.

Given enough time every manufacturer will let you down. It's just a matter of time.

"If it has tits or triggers it will eventually give you problems..." 🤔
You’re right about that…100%.

CZ almost lost me as a customer during the plandemic when my Bren 2ms went down. They were claiming they weren’t going to warranty a gun that was less than a year old because I wasn’t the original purchaser. It was over gassed and I kept breaking a roll pin inside the locks the front pin (unnecessary to RUN the gun, but less safe if dropped).

I cussed the company out via the guy on the phone and he FOUND the parts I needed off a warranty gun they demo’s and sent them to me priority mail so I could be shooting again. That stood out to me as excellent customer service even though their warranty sucks. So NOW I’ll never buy another USED/pre-owned CZ. That was MY fault for not reading the fine print in their shitty warranty.

Ruger owns their f*** up and i’ll never forgive them for costing me $50 in shipping for them to sit on their hands. I hope the factory burns to the ground and they can’t collect insurance money.

I hope this doesn't impact their Marlin operation, once that inflation pressure he is talking about slows down, I really want to pick up their Jurassic Park rifle.
I think Marlin is still one of their shining stars and people are buying them. I do not see that going by the wayside.

I do see the price point going down on them though, 2500 dollars is way overpriced for that rifle.

I considered a Trapper at $1300, but even then I decided not to bother.

These things will come down this year, people will be under some serious winter duress and won't be spending on guns and ammo.

You’re right about that…100%.

CZ almost lost me as a customer during the plandemic when my Bren 2ms went down. They were claiming they weren’t going to warranty a gun that was less than a year old because I wasn’t the original purchaser. It was over gassed and I kept breaking a roll pin inside the locks the front pin (unnecessary to RUN the gun, but less safe if dropped).

I cussed the company out via the guy on the phone and he FOUND the parts I needed off a warranty gun they demo’s and sent them to me priority mail so I could be shooting again. That stood out to me as excellent customer service even though their warranty sucks. So NOW I’ll never buy another USED/pre-owned CZ. That was MY fault for not reading the fine print in their shitty warranty.

Ruger owns their f*** up and i’ll never forgive them for costing me $50 in shipping for them to sit on their hands. I hope the factory burns to the ground and they can’t collect insurance money.
Yep. I have been lucky and posted My experience with the company. The old acronym "YMMV" is alive and well.

What I'm waiting for is the telemarketing blitz on "Extended Gun Warrantees"... [rofl]

"Hi! This is Carl and I would like to offer you an Extended Warranty on your 2003 Smith & Wesson Handgun. Our records show that you have less than
500 rounds through it... Is that correct?"

1668540292365.png

Six years ago and I’ve sold every ruger I have with the exception of the Red Label that caused all the frustration. I’ve kept it as a reminder to never give them another dime of my money, but I might actually sell it here soon to buy something for the farm.

I have several Red Labels. I do use them lightly for hunting only and not for target.

It unfortunate, but I kinda thought the Red Label was not exactly the sturdiest design however they are nice guns in wood and fit, and having a truly american made O/U is unique.

Unfortunately, they screwed the pooch with repair and probably will take their lumps in losing customers like you and other people I know over it.....its a business decision. They would rather lose your business than spend the million or so it would take to fix these things back right. It will haunt them a bit Im sure.

If my RL break, I won't have the vehement hate for them........I understand its business and not personal. But it is dissapointing to know I would never be able to get it fixed.

They did some good things in keeping Marlin around, and they make one hell of a reasonably priced accurate bolt action rifle, with a great barrel, and honestly they do a lot of different designs and probably the worlds most diverse rifle and handgun maker. I will continue to support them.

But they definately don't do shotguns well.......and most of my O/U's that I own or by now...... the brands will start with the letter B. Any issues I've had with Brownings I've bought were fixed with free shipping for repair, free shipping back and usually within 2 months. And fixed with a higher grade wood than I had before. Even during the scamdemic. They are a solid company for shotguns.

At some point....the market changes and you gotta roll with it. Ruger is not a shotgun company, and they tried several times and failed. They have called it quits. So with the expectation, my
Red Labels are as under warranty as an Old Parker or LC Smith.........meaning they are an old shotgun not made anymore.....and good luck with fixing it. Yeah, the company may not be out of business....but that part of certainly is.

Last edited:
I think Marlin is still one of their shining stars and people are buying them. I do not see that going by the wayside.

I do see the price point going down on them though, 2500 dollars is way overpriced for that rifle.

I considered a Trapper at $1300, but even then I decided not to bother.

These things will come down this year, people will be under some serious winter duress and won't be spending on guns and ammo.
Marlin is a waste of time when you usually can buy a Henry lever for less most of the time and get a better gun. Every newer marlin ive touched ive been like "meh".

Imo the only reason they're still relevant is because they have a few pretty finished models like stainless etc. If it wasn't for that and their marketing budget/legacy/name they'd be getting crushed. Not to mention Henry took forever to get into the sidegate game. Time will tell.

Everything changes...

Kinda like the old Sears Craftsman warranty

Kind of like LL Bean warranty.

My wife worked at LL Bean. People used and abused the warranty. They would buy LL Bean footwear and clothing and then wear it for years and bring it back under warranty for new ones. The warranty used to say roughly, if for any reason you are not happy or dissatisfied you can return ... not wear the crap out of it until it is in shreds and come back for a free replacement because your're a skinflint.

Last edited:
They used to be quite happy to replace stuff that wore out. There is a probably mythical story about a guy who bought a canoe and used it for years. When he died, his son brought it back for a refund.

I had thee winter jackets replaced because zippers broke or other stuff happened.

They used to boast about their quality and their warranty. While your wife might have considered it abuse, the people who ran the company considered it a marketing win. IIRC, it was L.L. himself who started that.

They only changed it a few years ago, mainly because people were buying stuff at yard sales and returning it for a full refund. First they started to require a receipt because they figured that people wouldn't be able to find them after x amount of years. Of course much of it was still retained on their computer and if you used your Bean credit card, it could be found pretty easily. THEN they went to the one year or whatever warranty.

We bought stuff from them for years and years because while expensive, it was very well made and they backed it up with good customer service and a great warranty.

Kind of like LL Bean warranty.

My wife worked at LL Bean. People used and abused the warranty. They would buy LL Bean footwear and clothing and then wear it for years and bring it under warranty for new ones. The warranty used to say roughly, if for any reason you are not happy or dissatisfied you can return ... not wear the crap out of it until it is in shreds and come back for a free replacement because your're a skinflint.

I have several Red Labels. I do use them lightly for hunting only and not for target.

It unfortunate, but I kinda thought the Red Label was not exactly the sturdiest design however they are nice guns in wood and fit, and having a truly american made O/U is unique.

Unfortunately, they screwed the pooch with repair and probably will take their lumps in losing customers like you and other people I know over it.....its a business decision. They would rather lose your business than spend the million or so it would take to fix these things back right. It will haunt them a bit Im sure.

If my RL break, I won't have the vehement hate for them........I understand its business and not personal. But it is dissapointing to know I would never be able to get it fixed.

They did some good things in keeping Marlin around, and they make one hell of a reasonably priced accurate bolt action rifle, with a great barrel, and honestly they do a lot of different designs and probably the worlds most diverse rifle and handgun maker. I will continue to support them.

But they definately don't do shotguns well.......and most of my O/U's that I own or by now...... the brands will start with the letter B. Any issues I've had with Brownings I've bought were fixed with free shipping for repair, free shipping back and usually within 2 months. And fixed with a higher grade wood than I had before. Even during the scamdemic. They are a solid company for shotguns.

At some point....the market changes and you gotta roll with it. Ruger is not a shotgun company, and they tried several times and failed. They have called it quits. So with the expectation, my
Red Labels are as under warranty as an Old Parker or LC Smith.........meaning they are an old shotgun not made anymore.....and good luck with fixing it. Yeah, the company may not be out of business....but that part of certainly is.
I’m obviously on the other side of the fence, but I appreciate your perspective.

To me, if you sell something with a lifetime warranty, you’re required to back that up until your company no longer exists. The entire reason I bought it was because it checked the ‘made in America’ box AND the ‘lifetime warranty’ box in my wants for an O/U.

I’ll probably sell it and buy another chainsaw or some goats. Something more useful than it has proven to be.

They won't fix your gun anymore? Do tell. Although honestly I find that nearly every broken gun ive dealt with was infant mortality vs something dying after a fair amount of use. I honestly don't even consider warranties on guns, as long as it covers like 2 yrs, im good.
Ruger eventually drops support when a gun goes out of production. I had them decline service on a Ruger Security Six decades ago - just a weak sprint, bought one mail order (I mean like enough years ago that the internet was not a thing). But, in fairness, Ruger does not claim "Lifetime Warranty", but does provide decent service as long as the gun remains in production.

I was looking at tempered glass chair mats for my home office. Vitrazza offers a lifetime warranty - but includes the option of the seller being able to offer a pro-rated refund, based on a 12 year life span, instead of replacing the product. So it's really a 12 year warranty, not lifetime. When MTD bought Troy Built some products had litetime warrantys - which MTD declared were converted to 10 year warrantees because any product defect will show up in that time. If you make a claim on an old Dillon tumbler before the "electric products not covered by lifetime warranty" limitation was added, Dillon honors the claim, cancels your lifetime warranty and gives you a one year warranty on the replacement.

The Vitrazza product looks great, but I will probably buy from a competitor because of their deceptive "lifetime warranty" claim negated in their fine print.

Lifetime warrantys frequently aren't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom