ruger releases ranch in 7.62x39

I really like it. Suggested retail 599...i wonder what they'll really sell for.
Seams like it will be reasonable priced.

I think the street price on the ranch rifles is $450 or so. I had one in .223 for a while and it was an absolute tack driver.

I really like the idea of a 7.62x39 bolt gun. I just wish it had a wood stock and iron sights (like the CZ). Still, 10 round mags might tip the balance.

Is it anything like the mini 30 that sucks unless you use expensive domestic 7.62x39? If so no thanks.

As it's a bolt gun hard to imagine it won't run. You won't see top accuracy from the steel case surplus stuff although it should be accurate enough.

My comment isn't about accuracy, it's about whether the primers will ignite.

shouldn't be an issue with the ranch. the firing mechanism is totally different from the mini. also the issue with the mini-30 wasn't so much that weak hammer spring but rather too shallow of a primer strike due to insufficiency firing pin extrusion. the mini-30 light strike issue can almost always be remedied by filing down the firing pin stop to get more firing pin extrusion. however ruger doesn't "approve" this mod and for reasons that are absolutely retarded they have never fixed the mini 30 despite selling it in a truly defective state for decades. had they fixed that damn rifle they probably would have sold tons of them.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking about getting one in 5.56. Looks like a fun little rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if one the fence, just get it. i freaking love the 5.56 ranch. absolute tack driver. my wife also likes shooting it because it's so light and nimble. the action is smooth and with the 3-lug design the overall rotation of the action is much less than 2 bolt design like a savage or typical mauser pattern. my only gripe is that the rotary plastic mags are overpriced and i sort of wish ruger would put the changeable comb system onto these stocks to get different cheekwelds. they have them on the rimfire american rifles but for whatever reason haven't moved it over to the ranch rifles.

I really like the idea of a 7.62x39 bolt gun. I just wish it had a wood stock and iron sights (like the CZ). Still, 10 round mags might tip the balance.

the polymer ranch stock is comfortable. not as sexy as a wood stock but definitely functional. and the threaded muzzle is a great addition. i use the ranch rifle to test out muzzle devices before getting them pinned/welded elsewhere. currently i'm running a Troy Claymore on the ranch 5.56 and with a lower power optic it's a great combo. gets that blast going forward so extra pleasant to shoot. disrupts sight picture a bit so can't really go over ~6x on the optic.

Last edited:
Comes with a threaded 16" barrel, this could be a good cheap way into a suppress-able deer rifle for the fall.

Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39

Just bought one. I'm a plinker mostly and understand the limitations of the 7.62x39 round. Emailed my FFL in Southern NH and got a $425 price tag. Bought a ruger mini 30 mag to increase the capacity, threw on an old bi-pod and cheap scope I had laying around. Brought her out yesterday but only had access to my 25yd range, skeet guys/gals on the 100 range. Couple shots to sight it in and then using cheap Golden Tiger ammo I shot four separate groups of 3. Shots in each group were touching or same hole. Mind you this is 25 yards, not far but I was happy considering cheap ammo and cheap scope were in use. Can't wait for the 100 yd range this week.
I'm not a seasoned rifle shooter but own and have shot rifles since the 80's. In my opinion the trigger is decent, the bolt is good (could use some polish), the rifle is light and easy to use. The mags - both the one that comes with it and the mini 30 i bought - take a little jiggle to get in but I'm sure that they'll wear in over time. If you're looking for a 30 cal bolt gun with 5, 10 20 round capacity and a useful range of 200 yards you might look at this gun.

Last edited:
I'm confused, I thought ranch rifle was a semi auto, not a bolt gun.

@Cuz and you'd be right to think that but they've also gone out and named some of the Ruger American Rifles as "Ranch". Not sure why, maybe it's the barrel length. Any-who..Now you have Ruger american ranch and Ruger mini ranch. One is bolt and one is Semi..

Last edited:
@Cuz and you'd be right to think that but they've also gone out and named some of the Ruger American Rifles as "Ranch". Not sure why, maybe it's the barrel length. Any-who..Now you have Ruger american ranch and Ruger mini ranch. One is bolt and one is Semi..

I think they call it the ranch rifle because it is designed to take a shot or two every now and then lol. Like leave it in the truck and use it once or twice a year! I like most Ruger products......but the mini 14 or "ranch" rifle.......these are not combat rifles people! You put 15 rounds or so through em and the barrel starts to heat up and warp.......never seen worse shot stringing than out if a mini 14 ranch rifle. They suck.

Just bought one. I'm a plinker mostly and understand the limitations of the 7.62x39 round. Emailed my FFL in Southern NH and got a $425 price tag. Bought a ruger mini 30 mag to increase the capacity, threw on an old bi-pod and cheap scope I had laying around. Brought her out yesterday but only had access to my 25yd range, skeet guys/gals on the 100 range. Couple shots to sight it in and then using cheap Golden Tiger ammo I shot four separate groups of 3. Shots in each group were touching or same hole. Mind you this is 25 yards, not far but I was happy considering cheap ammo and cheap scope were in use. Can't wait for the 100 yd range this week.
I'm not a seasoned rifle shooter but own and have shot rifles since the 80's. In my opinion the trigger is decent, the bolt is good (could use some polish), the rifle is light and easy to use. The mags - both the one that comes with it and the mini 30 i bought - take a little jiggle to get in but I'm sure that they'll wear in over time. If you're looking for a 30 cal bolt gun with 5, 10 20 round capacity and a useful range of 200 yards you might look at this gun.

I am interested in what you find at 100 with better ammo, I am intrigued by this rifle for a backyard beater.

I love 7.62x39 and have been wanting an inexpensive, but more accurate platform than the AK or SKS. A bolt gun based on the American is just the ticket and it uses 5, 10, or 20 rd mags? Excellent contender for a scout rifle.

I love 7.62x39 and have been wanting an inexpensive, but more accurate platform than the AK or SKS. A bolt gun based on the American is just the ticket and it uses 5, 10, or 20 rd mags? Excellent contender for a scout rifle.

For free staters...this is "good" for us "pre-ban" states not so much.
I had a "mini mauser" in 762x39 even with careful reloads and nice bullets I did not get great results.
About 2moa average. I think ruger is a little late in introducing this ? It's all good

I had a "mini mauser" in 762x39 even with careful reloads and nice bullets I did not get great results.
About 2moa average. I think ruger is a little late in introducing this ? It's all good

Yes, like about 20 years late. The X39 has been around for 6 decades and they're just now thinking about a bolt gun for it?

The Zastava mini mauser? I've seen a few on gunbroker and I think for the extra 150-ish the Ruger will cost, it's worth it. I can't say Zastava's are accurate, but we know Ruger American's are.

I'd be happy with 1.25 MOA, maybe even 1.5. I'm not planning on using this past 250 yards, which would be about a 4 inch group with ammo proven to shoot well. Plenty fine for a scout rifle.

seems to be frequent comment that it doesn't cycle smoothly. i'm not convinced ruger has the action setup correctly with the mini magazine. so even though i started this tread all excited about the ranch bolt action in 7.62x39, i'm holding off for the time being.

seems to be frequent comment that it doesn't cycle smoothly. i'm not convinced ruger has the action setup correctly with the mini magazine. so even though i started this tread all excited about the ranch bolt action in 7.62x39, i'm holding off for the time being.
I've seen some videos where the guys shooting seemed to have a rough time cycling it but I own one and haven't had the issues i see them having. I'll admit the fit and finish of the bolt could be better and there's a bit of slop. I do not own a higher end bolt action rifle so I don't have any thing to compare this with.
For $400 with a cheap scope I took of my marlin .22 i'm pleased with it. Using crappy tiger ammo (fmjbt) I'm hitting decent groups @100yds.

Based on other Ruger Americans I have spent a good amount of trigger time with I’d be very surprised if this rifle won’t shoot sub 1 MOA with quality ammo.

Tempted to pick one up as I have what is probably a lifetime supply of 7.62x39 at the rate I consume it.

Back
Top Bottom