Ruger Precision Rifle V/S Tikka T3X TACT A1

To mac1911, thank you for your response. I've been shooting for many years, mostly pistol and some AR.s, this is my first try at shooting precision rifle, and I enjoy it. The amount I mentioned is my budget, I already have a good optic, a Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP, I have it on my Savage. At the present I'm doing just bench rest shooting, using bipod front and bag for rear. Where I shoot now the longest I can shoot is 200 yards. If I was to have a chance to shoot longer I would like to do it, that's why I'm thinking about getting something that might be better than the Savage 110 that I've been shooting for 2 years.
Just be very mindful of what game you really want to play.
If its PRS do you really need a new rifle (which savage do you have) or will one of the chassis systems out there be a good choice to get you going.
PRS is a moving and shooting game so getting something your comfortable with may not be fun to shoot from the bench at your 200 yard range.
You can waste a lot of money and time trying to build something your not 100% sure your going to use the way you think you are.
That said do you have a budget for matches ammo and supplies , have you planned out matches for next season?
Im still curious what you can do with savage
Is there something inherently wrong with a savage that keeps it from shooting sub MOA , I mean really until you reach a extreme high point of skill will a 1/2 moa rifle really be any better than a 1.25 moa rifle for someone starting out?
I have a few 1/2 builds in the closet only after finding out mid way i was going down the wrong track.
Lets say you drop $500 on a chasis system for the savage and run a season of matches with it. i bet you could sell that savage or chasis system for a decent return to the next new guy. By then you should know if you like the PRS game or start thinking you should have built a 200yd Bench Rest rifle?
Now if you just want to buy another rifle, by all means do so . i get it. Im always looking at the tikka.

Just be very mindful of what game you really want to play.
If its PRS do you really need a new rifle (which savage do you have) or will one of the chassis systems out there be a good choice to get you going.
PRS is a moving and shooting game so getting something your comfortable with may not be fun to shoot from the bench at your 200 yard range.
You can waste a lot of money and time trying to build something your not 100% sure your going to use the way you think you are.
That said do you have a budget for matches ammo and supplies , have you planned out matches for next season?
Im still curious what you can do with savage
Is there something inherently wrong with a savage that keeps it from shooting sub MOA , I mean really until you reach a extreme high point of skill will a 1/2 moa rifle really be any better than a 1.25 moa rifle for someone starting out?
I have a few 1/2 builds in the closet only after finding out mid way i was going down the wrong track.
Lets say you drop $500 on a chasis system for the savage and run a season of matches with it. i bet you could sell that savage or chasis system for a decent return to the next new guy. By then you should know if you like the PRS game or start thinking you should have built a 200yd Bench Rest rifle?
Now if you just want to buy another rifle, by all means do so . i get it. Im always looking at the tikka.

You have a lot of great ideas and questions. I'm going to finish shooting as much as I can this year and then decide on what I might do. The Savage 110 is a good shooting rifle considering it's price, ($750.) I do very good with it. I'm still trying to increase my shooting skills. It's like a drug, very addicting.

You have a lot of great ideas and questions. I'm going to finish shooting as much as I can this year and then decide on what I might do. The Savage 110 is a good shooting rifle considering it's price, ($750.) I do very good with it. I'm still trying to increase my shooting skills. It's like a drug, very addicting.
Theres a cmp M1 garand Clinic/match Oct 4th at OCSA in pembroke MA , good day and fun to work on marksmenship

my thoughts are like this.
On a good day Im a MOA ish shooter with a known MOA rifle/optic set up.
3 moa with aperture style sights on a good day. Does not matter if the rifle is 1/2 moa.
Take some time and go to different matches and see if its what yoy really want to do or even try

I recently purchased a Ruger Hawkeye LRT in 6.5 creedmoor and it is a tack driver with Hornady 147grn Match. Shoots better then I am currently capable of. Consistently under MOA at 300 yards. Longest range I have access to. I am very happy with it. Excellent trigger too. Nice platform and with optics was Just over 1800. I’ll try and post a pic.

Attachments

• B116EFE8-DBF4-4F77-9CA7-261CA79F7896.jpeg
    B116EFE8-DBF4-4F77-9CA7-261CA79F7896.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 30
Tikka no question, I’ve set up 2 creeds in the past few months. Mountain tactical trigger spring, vertical grip, limbsaver recoil pad and sportsmatch T084 rings. I put a Meopta Optika 6 3-18 on mine and a NF SHV 4-14 on my buddies. Mine is .5 gun with not much load development buddies is .3 with a load I made for mine RL26 and 140 eldm’s lapua brass. The Berger factory 140’s shoot great too, I found them on sale for 23$ a box and lapua brass. Tikka creedmoor with sportsmatch rings and a NF/Meopta/SWFA is like hitting an easy button. Make sure to dremel out the barrel bumps and make a lot of clearance on the barrel no dollar bill nonsense you want to be able to slide a popsicle stick between barrel and stock. 55-60 inch lbs for the action seems to be the sweet spot

They are both pretty much the same.

I vote for the RPR, consistently shoots 0.3-0.5 MOA with good reloads and if you don't suck. Also it can use standard magazines vs. proprietary and expensive TIkka mags. Also it has a huge aftermarket following.
The Tikka is a nice rifle but you'll save money with the RPR and can buy more ammo and you have the ability and parts available for the RPR to upgrade it more than what's available for the Tikka as far as I know. I'd say you'd be pleased with either one.

tikka CTR mags are not AICS. They’re proprietary and like $80 each. That’s the only real knock on the tikka, otherwise it is a far better choice over the RPR.

personally i would save a lot of $$ and get a Howa 1500 Which are now available w MDT chassis if desired. It will shoot as well or better than the tikka. Whatever you do put $$ into the rings and glass which are as or more important than the rifle itself.

Find as many shooters as you can with what you are interested in and try as many platforms as you can.
Again Im a little out of touch with cost and needs of PRS game. I looked into a few years ago and realized im just not going to find the time to get to those matches. So I slapped to gether a MOA 22lr to play with locally at 200 yards.

i was able to shoot one of these last summer, i really liked it for out of the box , feel . I cou?d not find one in anything but 223 or 308 at the time.
i put my hand on just about any rifle in that $1200-1800 range. That sporter just fit and the trigger was nice.
Not exactly a PRS type rifle but I can see a wide range of use with that set up. The special mags are a downer for sure.

tikka CTR mags are not AICS. They’re proprietary and like $80 each. That’s the only real knock on the tikka, otherwise it is a far better choice over the RPR.

personally i would save a lot of $$ and get a Howa 1500 Which are now available w MDT chassis if desired. It will shoot as well or better than the tikka. Whatever you do put $$ into the rings and glass which are as or more important than the rifle itself.

The Howa 1500 is a 1.5 MOA gun at best so you are going to be handicapping yourself. At least the RPR comes out of the box sub 1 MOA.

The Howa 1500 is a 1.5 MOA gun at best so you are going to be handicapping yourself. At least the RPR comes out of the box sub 1 MOA.
Also just to add, TIKKa and sako guarantee 1 moa with their rifles and ammo. Not sure if ruger has any factory accuracy claims or what ammo they might be using?
Its a fin game.
I think If i was to start a prs “build”
I would go with a mauser or rem 700 action ad the aftermarket is flooded with parts. I cant even imagine how many trigger choices are out there for the mauser/rem700 actions

Also just to add, TIKKa and sako guarantee 1 moa with their rifles and ammo. Not sure if ruger has any factory accuracy claims or what ammo they might be using?
Its a fin game.
I think If i was to start a prs “build”
I would go with a mauser or rem 700 action ad the aftermarket is flooded with parts. I cant even imagine how many trigger choices are out there for the mauser/rem700 actions

Howa actually does as well believe it or not, that 1500 is not a sub MOA gun regardless.

Tikka over the ruger
I'm not sure what you will do with it, but another option is the tikka CTR for under 1000 put it in a KRG Bravo, now you will be able to change the scope rail for a 20 moa rail, I'm pretty sure the Tac A1 has a fixed rail so you'd have to use canted rings to go out further. I went with the CTR over the Tac and it still shoots really well for me. There is a lot of aftermarket Tikka stuff out there and many companies doing pre-fit barrels now. I have over 3000 rounds thru my 6.5 and I figured I will need to rebarrel it eventually but it still shoots fine. They are amazingly well built rifles.

To
OP, before you narrowed it down did you look at the Bergara Premier HMR Pro? It’s not a pure chassis rifle like the RPR or the T3x (closer to your 110) but it does have an integrated “mini-chassis” in the stock. The Bergara’s are very accurate and their HMR line (Hunting/Match Rifle) are well respected. I have a slightly older version of the Premier in a PDC Custom competition chassis and it is a "tack driver" (1/4 inch groups at 100 yards) if the ammo is up to it. They come standard with the TriggerTech Frictionless Release Technology trigger, which is the best trigger I have ever used. They are currently available from Bud’s for $1600, if you don’t mind dealing with them.
Thanks for the input, I checked out the Bergara, they are around the same price as the Tikka. Something to consider.

I would also second cathouse01 and recommend you check out the Premier Bergara HMR Pro, it is a great deal at $1500-$1600. It uses their elite action. The LRP 2.0 is another $300 if you want a chassis rifle. I have a Bergara ERP Elite and it has delivered 3/8" groups at 100 yards. Can't go wrong with the Tika as well, They are very highly regarded (the Tika) As optics are highly shooter dependent, Bergara no longer ships with optics rails/risers, but I would highly recommend Area 419 stuff.

American Rifle Company Nucleus Rifle ;) I can’t think of a better way to spend $2500.

Ok, back to the question at hand...

Ruger.

The Tikka is better quality out of the box, but you will save a bit on the Ruger while you find out if you really like “precision” rifle. If you don’t, great (I think I have $700 into my 6mm Creed RPR) you have tons of options if you do like it from triggers to barrels. (WhiteOak and PVAare just a few that make user replaceable barrels)

Yes, this was an issue for me, one of the reasons I didn't chose a Tika (not using AICS mags)

I’d recommend searching over on snipershide or rokslide for comparisons of these rifles as this is right up their wheelhouse with tons of reviews of them all and a lot of the guys actually have had all the above not just making assumptions. I’ve not handled or shot the rpr or howa but both of them would be lower on my list I’d go tikka or Bergara. I’d also agree with the poster who said to check out the ctr and can get the bravo chassis to try if your not sure your into the chassis system or not. The ctr mag has been proven and I wouldn’t worry about using them. Another thing to think about is resale if you don’t even know if your going to like it. I’ve been looking for used tikkas for the last six months and I would say they hold the best resale value as well as easiest to sell. I ended up buying new for the price difference. The tikkas have been know you shoot well better than their 1moa guarantee historically. My buddy has the Bergara premier and it’s also a beautiful gun I’ve fondled but not had the chance to shoot it yet.
If I was to spend ur 1700 it would be 1100 for a stainless 24” ctr (in ur flavor) a nice bipod and throw the rest towards reloading components.
I see one in 223 or 6br in my near future

Just want to thank everybodys input on my question. Last week I got the Tikka T3x TAC A1. Just put on my Viper PST Gen II 5-25 X 50 ffp, waiting for bipod. Getting ready to sight it in soon.

Excellent choice! Looks awesome, eager to hear a range report. And go find a class so you can max out the potential of that rifle.

Just want to thank everybodys input on my question. Last week I got the Tikka T3x TAC A1. Just put on my Viper PST Gen II 5-25 X 50 ffp, waiting for bipod. Getting ready to sight it in soon.
Awesome, looking forward to a range report

Nice setup, once you get it sighted in, stop shooting off the bench! Get a mat and rear bag to go with the bipod and go prone. You should quickly be able to shoot as well as you did from bench. Then start out of position shooting.

If we’re going to post pictures, here’s my Bergara:
IMG_1653.jpeg

Bergara BPR17 PDC Comp Chassis 6.5cm 24" rifle with folding stock, barricade stop and adjustable thumb rest
ZRODelta Cowl Induction Muzzle Brake
XLR Industries bag rider
Steiner T5Xi 5-25X56 scope
Seekins Precision 20 MOA scope mount
Steiner T-series 34MM rings (high) with built in anti-cant level
Atlas 5-H bi-pod

Back
Top Bottom