Ruger Precision Rifle V/S Tikka T3X TACT A1

mcderf

NES Member
Want to do some precision rifle shooting, I am going to use 6.5 Creedmoor, I narrowed what I might get, it's either the RPR or the Tikka T3X TAC A1. They both have great reviews, the Tikka is more money, wondering if the Tikka is worth the extra money over the RPR. I can't even find either one right now with what's going on to even see one. I know there are a lot of other rifles that might be better, looking for any input of what you guys think, that being said if you had to pic either one, which one would you get, also what do you think is the best bang for the buck with with a budget under $1,700. I appreciate any help you precision shooters think. Got one for sale??

Last edited:
Tikka makes amazing rifles. I'm a Rem 700 guy myself. You have a plan for ammo? creed ammo is very rare right now. What kind of shooting you wanna do?

I'm reloading 6.5 Creedmoor now, started doing it this year, still learning. Been using it on a Savage 110, thinking about upgrading to a better rifle. Doing just target shooting, not hunting.

Out of those 2, a used tikka in a chassis. There are other options like a 700 , 700 clone , or custom barreled action for not much more .

The 110 is a nice rifle, I paid about $700. and it's accurate, thought I might be able to do better. Since I put on the new optic it has helped my accuracy, just looking for some advice wondering what would maybe be a step up in a rifle.

They are both pretty much the same.

I vote for the RPR, consistently shoots 0.3-0.5 MOA with good reloads and if you don't suck. Also it can use standard magazines vs. proprietary and expensive TIkka mags. Also it has a huge aftermarket following.

Im curious what can $1700 do to improve the savage?
Is $1700 the rifle budget or does that include scope/mounts/rings

I have been avoiding the "precision" rifle style platform only because i know Im not getting out past 200 yards to really enjoy it. i might get silly and build a 22lr set up but I first need to win the lottery!

Allso curious what type of shooting will you be doing?
All prone, moving around a lot , strange positions and such?
Are you very active in any organized matches?
if your going to be playing a particular game do you already have all the other gear?
Good spot scope, Cronny, mat, bags, rails, bipods and all that other stuff?

Last edited:
I'm reloading 6.5 Creedmoor now, started doing it this year, still learning. Been using it on a Savage 110, thinking about upgrading to a better rifle. Doing just target shooting, not hunting.
What have you been loading for 6.5, have you exhausted all your bullet and powder choices , seating depths and such and just cant get more consistent accuracy?
I would be tempted to rebarrel the 110 and a chasis system if you need that "current" precision rifle look .

i have to much time to think. Im also a work with what you have type. i would probably be glass bedding the 110, mounting rails for different accesorries and go from there. Then if i could I would run a season of matches to see just what i need and like.

For the price points, I'd go with the Ruger. Sure 300-400 isn't a lot more money in some thoughts, but when you look at the difference compared to the cost, you're talking almost 30% difference in price. Put that money in to a good scope. When it's time to upgrade beyond that, at least you can keep the glass.

To Crackpot, your handle fits you. Thanks for the english lesson, not my best class in school. Nothing better to do?

To mac1911, thank you for your response. I've been shooting for many years, mostly pistol and some AR.s, this is my first try at shooting precision rifle, and I enjoy it. The amount I mentioned is my budget, I already have a good optic, a Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP, I have it on my Savage. At the present I'm doing just bench rest shooting, using bipod front and bag for rear. Where I shoot now the longest I can shoot is 200 yards. If I was to have a chance to shoot longer I would like to do it, that's why I'm thinking about getting something that might be better than the Savage 110 that I've been shooting for 2 years.

I want to say you guys are helping me out a lot, there has been a learning curve doing precision shooting. The reloading part, even though I've done pistol for a long time, rifle reloading it more difficult, so many options it's hard to figure out what's the best way to go. All that said, I've been having a great time doing it, I enjoy it immensely.

Those rifle choices aren’t really that different from the Savage 110. I would suggest spending the money on a class then getting a custom action like a Bighorn/Zermatt Origin or a ARC Nucleus if you feel limited by the Savage. Falkor is also doing a preorder discount for their new action.

To Compooky, thanks for your input, your probably right, but that sounds like it would be more than my budget would allow. The most I'm able to spend is around $1800.

I grew out of my RPR in less than one season, this included reloading based on the RPR dimensions. The RPR is a fine starter rifle but if you have already outgrown the savage buy the Tikka. Listen to Ridgeline on this one, not some Savage fanboy because they make decent cheap stuff. Edited to add I could have taken on a project to upgrade the RPR, thats is one of the best things about the RPR, its easily upgraded. I just chose to go in a different direction.

Last edited:
To Compooky, thanks for your input, your probably right, but that sounds like it would be more than my budget would allow. The most I'm able to spend is around $1800.
You can put together a rifle for around $1800.

Not considering any discounts you might find.
Bighorn Origin 825
Barrel 500
Krg bravo 350
Triggertech special 190

Do any of you compete in the 600 yard PRS at Pelham? If you do, you know my friend that pretty much wins it consistently with a RPR in 6.5cm.

Do any of you compete in the 600 yard PRS at Pelham? If you do, you know my friend that pretty much wins it consistently with a RPR in 6.5cm.

All this says is your friend is a talented shooter. I’m not exactly sure what a 600 yard PRS is exactly but I often score better at 600 yards than I do on the 100 yard movers under tight time constraints. That’s my limitations, not the rifle.

All this says is your friend is a talented shooter. I’m not exactly sure what a 600 yard PRS is exactly but I often score better at 600 yards than I do on the 100 yard movers under tight time constraints. That’s my limitations, not the rifle.

I guess what I'm saying is it's the carpenter more than tools, assuming your tools are adequate, at Precision Rifle Shooting. He definitely takes it very seriously.

OP, before you narrowed it down did you look at the Bergara Premier HMR Pro? It’s not a pure chassis rifle like the RPR or the T3x (closer to your 110) but it does have an integrated “mini-chassis” in the stock. The Bergara’s are very accurate and their HMR line (Hunting/Match Rifle) are well respected. I have a slightly older version of the Premier in a PDC Custom competition chassis and it is a "tack driver" (1/4 inch groups at 100 yards) if the ammo is up to it. They come standard with the TriggerTech Frictionless Release Technology trigger, which is the best trigger I have ever used. They are currently available from Bud’s for $1600, if you don’t mind dealing with them.

This.....you're not gonna see an improvement over the Savage......

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket go for it......but maybe consider a class/training as a better intermediate option......

YMMV

I was going to say the same. I debated between a tikka T3, RPR, or Savage 110. My geek out session pointed to the Savage in 6.5, with anything left over in the bank going for a scope at least 1.2x the cost of the rifle.

Barrel swaps without requiring a wizard were of prime importance in my selection.

Now if I'd just get the damn money aside to go buy it.

Back
Top Bottom