Ruger Precision .22lr

Middle target spread was me sighting in scope and fiddling around with the knobs since I really don’t know what I’m doing with optic adjustments still to this day.
51b1db1c7409ef93a503be600b048501.jpg

yeah that would probably help. This was @50 yds, ammo was SK rifle match. Once scope was sighted at 50yds I planned on going over to 100 to figure out the holdover, but it was windy as balls. Figured I’d be better off going back on a less windy day to dick around with that.
50 to 100 yards with out knowing velocity
Or scope hieght your looking at aprox 6 min hold over. Or
With a 50 yard zero impacts at 100 will be 6-7” low

i know I used to always make fun of .22s. I still think its a little girl caliber, but thanks to the Rona and slow Joe’s bullshit administration, I finally had to admit that $48/box of 6.5 Kardashian ain’t happening on my income. So, I went with the Ruger precision Rimfire. It’s still at the store and is getting a 6-24 Arken and a 0 MOA base (the OEM has a 30 MOA lift, which is downright ridiculous). This little rifle will only serve to maintain fundamentals up to 100. MAYBE I’ll go with an ER Shaw barrel, if the accuracy is totally unacceptable. Got me some 500 rounds of standard vel CCI, Eley Tenex and Club, s box of Lapua center X and some craptastic Aguila that will probably be so shitty that the only thing it’s good for is to serve as a bad example. I’d love to try some CCI green tag and maybe some quiet as well as some SK match, but cant find any right now.

i know I used to always make fun of .22s. I still think its a little girl caliber, but thanks to the Rona and slow Joe’s bullshit administration, I finally had to admit that $48/box of 6.5 Kardashian ain’t happening on my income. So, I went with the Ruger precision Rimfire. It’s still at the store and is getting a 6-24 Arken and a 0 MOA base (the OEM has a 30 MOA lift, which is downright ridiculous). This little rifle will only serve to maintain fundamentals up to 100. MAYBE I’ll go with an ER Shaw barrel, if the accuracy is totally unacceptable. Got me some 500 rounds of standard vel CCI, Eley Tenex and Club, s box of Lapua center X and some craptastic Aguila that will probably be so shitty that the only thing it’s good for is to serve as a bad example. I’d love to try some CCI green tag and maybe some quiet as well as some SK match, but cant find any right now.

Got my SK from an online retailer. Ordered some initially when it was in stock, but they emailed me back requesting my LTC. By the time I emailed them a scan of said LTC it was sold out, yet they were nice enough to hold my order & send me a chunk of the next shipment. Was only a few weeks later & their customer service communication was awesome.

I dont think geen tag is worth looking for. Tenex and lapua and even the higher end SK lines will most likely be better.
The 30 moa base is not to terrible for the 22lr . Depends on your “scope” zeros and if you want as much elevation as possible. That arken has a decent amount of elevation 40moa from center or so …should be a fun set up

I dont think geen tag is worth looking for. Tenex and lapua and even the higher end SK lines will most likely be better.
The 30 moa base is not to terrible for the 22lr . Depends on your “scope” zeros and if you want as much elevation as possible. That arken has a decent amount of elevation 40moa from center or so …should be a fun set up

Agreed on Green Tag. It's way overpriced for what it tends to achieve.

@frenchman, when we have a GTG, I'll give you a box of Quiet. You'll give the remainder back or pull the bullets for use in a high power air rifle. :) The CCI Quiet line is not very consistent, so it's just fun for quiet shooting is all. Spend that money on SV instead, same price. Or on SK Standard Plus or SK Rifle Match.

I get 17 mil up. That should be something like 68 MOA from factory set center. It’s a 34mm tube.
Nice , i know a few air rifle guys who like these scopes , and athlon scopes.
Depending on your end use and your zero. Try it with the 0 and see how it works out.

Nice , i know a few air rifle guys who like these scopes , and athlon scopes.
Depending on your end use and your zero. Try it with the 0 and see how it works out.
I really like the simplistic diamondback vortex scope on my varmint mtr. It is just 12oz and a simple crosshair is all what’s needed. I only wish rifle would be at 6.5-7lbs, right now it is closer to 8.5lbs.

I really like the simplistic diamondback vortex scope on my varmint mtr. It is just 12oz and a simple crosshair is all what’s needed. I only wish rifle would be at 6.5-7lbs, right now it is closer to 8.5lbs.
Eh , im a target shooter I like heavy guns.
Most of my iron sighted rifles fall in that 10lb range. Wood and steel

Eh , im a target shooter I like heavy guns.
Most of my iron sighted rifles fall in that 10lb range. Wood and steel
To shoot hand held standing up at a 50yds the lighter the better. Like biathlon rifles.
Still a lot of fun, and capable to drive bullets into a same hole at 50yds when handled right. I hope it’s barrel will last long enough with that accuracy.

To shoot hand held standing up at a 50yds the lighter the better. Like biathlon rifles.
Still a lot of fun, and capable to drive bullets into a same hole at 50yds when handled right. I hope it’s barrel will last long enough with that accuracy.
do biathlon use lighter rifles because of the traveling on skis? If biathlon shooters did not have to move about on skis would they still want a light rifle?
I know its a personal preference on weight. I dont think a 22lr barrel wears out much?

whats the weight limit on biathlon rifles 16lbs or so. I think a well balanced rifle is more important than weight alone. But I shoot my 16lb AR service rifle better than its 8lb brother off hand.
prone or on the bench they are equal.

Go with what works and have fun.

do biathlon use lighter rifles because of the traveling on skis? If biathlon shooters did not have to move about on skis would they still want a light rifle?
I know its a personal preference on weight. I dont think a 22lr barrel wears out much?
depends. top line rifles are close or at 8lbs. but there are those that are lighter. a good quality 21" barrel will have some weight one way or another, so a weight to accuracy ratio is always an ongoing compromise.
when i was a kid we used only (older) biathlon rifles in the competition, as they were the best.

here - an eye candy.

Last edited:
Got me ... some craptastic Aguila that will probably be so shitty that the only thing it’s good for is to serve as a bad example.
In Apr'14 I bought 15 50-round boxes of Aguila Rifle Match 40Gr PbRN at Pullman Arms.
Not because we had a rifle, or a match; let alone a rifle match.
Because it was .22LR and Obama was in office.

On three days in Apr'15, The Bride and I ran it all through our (clean) Mk III 22/45 Target pistol.

19 failures to feed.
3 failures to eject.

No failures to extract.
No failures to lock back at end of mag.
No failures to fire at all. (And so especially, no 4-strike duds).

Winchester White Box 555 should be so lucky.

In Apr'14 I bought 15 50-round boxes of Aguila Rifle Match 40Gr PbRN at Pullman Arms.
Not because we had a rifle, or a match; let alone a rifle match.
Because it was .22LR and Obama was in office.

On three days in Apr'15, The Bride and I ran it all through our (clean) Mk III 22/45 Target pistol.

19 failures to feed.
3 failures to eject.

No failures to extract.
No failures to lock back at end of mag.
No failures to fire at all. (And so especially, no 4-strike duds).

Winchester White Box 555 should be so lucky.
Loose packed ammo in the boxes should be treated as plink’n fodder. Bang,bang,click eject toss it , bang, poof click……….bang. Is what I expect from rem/win loose box fodder.
Aguila rifle match ? I dont know what aguila does to make any thing better . Years ago they had a line called golden eagle target and match . It was a slight step above their super extra extra super line
In that .08-.13 cent range (pre covid ) there are much better choices if your looking for better consistency.

Aguila rifle match ? I dont know what aguila does to make any thing better . Years ago they had a line called golden eagle target and match . It was a slight step above their super extra extra super line
Me, neither.
But yeah, IIRC from what I've seen on shelves (not haunting online sellers)
they structure at least part of their product line in tiers of quality
instead of lead vs. copper plated vs. hollow point vs. subsonic vs. ...

An alleged quality spectrum,
instead of a palette of functional applications.

There may be a post in NES by some Bullseye-type
saying that Aguila is plausible.

Me; I'm not kicking myself for having used it up -
I'm just grateful that it worked.

Me, neither.
But yeah, IIRC from what I've seen on shelves (not haunting online sellers)
they structure at least part of their product line in tiers of quality
instead of lead vs. copper plated vs. hollow point vs. subsonic vs. ...

An alleged quality spectrum,
instead of a palette of functional applications.

There may be a post in NES by some Bullseye-type
saying that Aguila is plausible.

Me; I'm not kicking myself for having used it up -
I'm just grateful that it worked.
Aguila SE shoots ok, but has less accuracy than Norma. But it is high speed and it cycles my Glock kit, most of the time. :).
I have now mostly a mix of cci lr high velocity for guns that need cycling and standard velocity Norma. Latter is more difficult to find at a good price. But it is cheaper than an eley

Aguila SE shoots ok, but has less accuracy than Norma. But it is high speed and it cycles my Glock kit, most of the time. :).
I have now mostly a mix of cci lr high velocity for guns that need cycling and standard velocity Norma. Latter is more difficult to find at a good price. But it is cheaper than an eley
Its really sad that any 22lr made today needs HV to function

Its really sad that any 22lr made today needs HV to function
Are there any semi-auto action guns chambered in .22LR
(handgun or longarm) which are notorious for having
a deliberately lightweight (low-mass) slide or bolt design,
to improve their reliability above the average?

(The average seeming to boil down to "if you don't just feed it CCI,
you'll have to learn to pull the trigger with your fingers crossed"
).

People jack around using non-stock recoil springs improve reliability.
But in the limit you can imagine a slide that's so heavy (or laden with friction)
that it fails to cycle no matter how anemic a recoil spring is used.

I haven't been haunting the kind of threads that might
have such truisms. But I haven't tripped over any, either.

My older nordic AR upper would not run well on SV ammo, I tried different extractors, spring lengths etc. Turns out it was the hammer spring. Swapped out the trigger group and it runs like a top.
Thats a condition of trying to make a lower designed for 223 work with a upper designed for 22lr.

Are there any semi-auto action guns chambered in .22LR
(handgun or longarm) which are notorious for having
a deliberately lightweight (low-mass) slide or bolt design,
to improve their reliability above the average?
The Beretta Neos (based on the Colt Cadet, which was based on the High-Standard Dura-Matic, I think) is definitely very forgiving of low power ammo. Shoots SV all day long, and the carbine kit for it is even more forgiving, given the extra barrel length helping blowback.

There are also kits to adapt a 10/22 to lower power .22 - from Power Custom's kit that's meant to make it more reliable with SV, to kits for it to cycle with .22 shorts.

Thats a condition of trying to make a lower designed for 223 work with a upper designed for 22lr.

I think it is a case of what the gun was designed to use. The nordic people said it was built to run federal bulk pack HV, which it did very well. My Taccom uppers run SV ammo very well because it was designed for it, even with the trigger that make the Nordic choke.

I think it is a case of what the gun was designed to use. The nordic people said it was built to run federal bulk pack HV, which it did very well. My Taccom uppers run SV ammo very well because it was designed for it, even with the trigger that make the Nordic choke.
My tacsol upper runs fine on SV and with the 16” barrel some of the ammo I ran over the crony was much lower than I was expecting.

Back
Top Bottom