Ruger Precision .22lr

i was told by somebody in some other thread that they shoot up to 600yds with a 1-6x scope, and i just go, well, sure you do...
:)
a turkish walnut on the varmint is pretty good, i like it. just got it.

I guess it depends on what the target is. If it's a large piece of steel, then you don't need to see impact, you can hear it.

As for the walnut... While the wood has been nice on all of mine, it's very plain without much grain.

I guess it depends on what the target is. If it's a large piece of steel, then you don't need to see impact, you can hear it.

As for the walnut... While the wood has been nice on all of mine, it's very plain without much grain.
yep. i also indeed once hit a tank from an SVD from a kilometer away. :)

i agree, it is plain, yet, it is a worker rifle, i do not want it too fancy. hope kids will be ok with the stock size. it handles very nicely, i think it will be easier for kids than a true XLR chassis. plus, [potentially, we can hunt some birds with it in the fall.

here it is. it is adequate, i would say. not an exceptionally great, true, but, adequate enough for the price. i like it. feels nice in the hands.
but not too nice to worry too much about it. i`ll just put some clear car wax on it, probably, and be done with it.
1614882255607.png

Attachments

• 1614881989543.png
    1614881989543.png
    776.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
i was told by somebody in some other thread that they shoot up to 600yds with a 1-6x scope, and i just go, well, sure you do...
:)
a turkish walnut on the varmint is pretty good, i like it. just got it.
Yeah its really depending on the target.
NRA service rifle allows 6x IIRC at 600 yards the aiming black is 36” easy enough to see eyeballs.
Little 8-10 in Plates at 300+ gets harder.

Yeah its really depending on the target.
NRA service rifle allows 6x IIRC at 600 yards the aiming black is 36” easy enough to see eyeballs.
Little 8-10 in Plates at 300+ gets harder.
It's actually 4.5X max for a SR, but you're right: we did it with iron sights up until just a few years ago.
An old bastard once replied to somebody who thought 600 yards was too far away to see with the naked eye: "Don't worry about it; It's a shooting contest, not a seeing contest.

It's actually 4.5X max for a SR, but you're right: we did it with iron sights up until just a few years ago.
An old bastard once replied to somebody who thought 600 yards was too far away to see with the naked eye: "Don't worry about it; It's a shooting contest, not a seeing contest.
I only get out XTC 1 or 2 a year so Im not up to speed. I can still see the black blob with my eyes and with a little diopter help the front sight. Im think if im going to keep going I might get a scope , I was looking at the White oak scope ? Who knows Im trying to get more practice in this year. I been trying to get to the MA state shoot for the fun of it for years

I only get out XTC 1 or 2 a year so Im not up to speed. I can still see the black blob with my eyes and with a little diopter help the front sight. Im think if im going to keep going I might get a scope , I was looking at the White oak scope ? Who knows Im trying to get more practice in this year. I been trying to get to the MA state shoot for the fun of it for years
I bought the new White Oak scope late last Fall. I think it's going to be good.

ruger precision 22 is almost 7 lbs naked. No thanks. It’s also just an American rimfire w a heavier aluminum stock. There are options that are cheaper and shoot better. Savage MkII, CZ, tikka, etc. hell Id drop the $$ on a Volquartsen any day. The ruger takes 10/22 mags which is a plus otherwise there are many better options. That being said if it floats the boat then roll w it.

FWIW my ruger American rimfire had extraction issues. Serviced by ruger and still left empties in the chamber. They ultimately replaced the rifle. It seema to be a somewhat frequent problem. On the contrary my savage and CZ 22 run perfectly.

Last edited:
ruger precision 22 is almost 7 lbs naked. No thanks. It’s also just an American rimfire w a heavier aluminum stock. There are options that are cheaper and shoot better. Savage MkII, CZ, tikka, etc. hell Id drop the $$ on a Volquartsen any day. The ruger takes 10/22 mags which is a plus otherwise there are many better options. That being said if it floats the boat then roll w it.

FWIW my ruger American rimfire had extraction issues. Serviced by ruger and still left empties in the chamber. They ultimately replaced the rifle. It seema to be a somewhat frequent problem. On the contrary my savage and CZ 22 run perfectly.
7lbs seems light for a target rifle?

7lbs seems light for a target rifle?

for a centerfire it would be fine but for a rimfire it’s heavy. My cz 457 scout is 5 lbs, savage Mkii FV-SR is 5.5 lbs. with rings and optic these can be kept light. i have no need for a heavy rimfire rifle. It doesn’t recoil so I prefer it be handy and portable. Almost everything made by Ruger is clunky-heavy which rather hilariously is described as “built like tank” by the Ruger excuse patrol. Whoever decided heavy = well-built was a real joker.

i have this model of the American and am happy w it now that Ruger replaced it with one that works. It’s a perfect do-all rifle and suppressor host. I changed the stock comb to get a shorter LOP and am running my fave rimfire optic (Leupold rimfire 4x28mm). glass is filthy nice for the price tag.

Last edited:
for a centerfire it would be fine but for a rimfire it’s heavy. My cz 457 scout is 5 lbs, savage Mkii FV-SR is 5.5 lbs. with rings and optic these can be kept light. i have no need for a heavy rimfire rifle. It doesn’t recoil so I prefer it be handy and portable. Almost everything made by Ruger is clunky-heavy which rather hilariously is described as “built like tank” by the Ruger excuse patrol. Whoever decided heavy = well-built was a real joker.

i have this model of the American and am happy w it now that Ruger replaced it with one that works. It’s a perfect do-all rifle and suppressor host. I changed the stock comb to get a shorter LOP and am running my fave rimfire optic (Leupold rimfire 4x28mm). glass is filthy nice for the price tag.

When Im trying to shoot tiny groups I prefer a “heavier” rifle even with rimfire.
A heavy rifle for me , especially off hand will wobble less on target.
Optics depend on what im shooting and what type of target/distance
A 4x is darn near impossible for me to shoot at 1/2” dots at 50 yards or 1” at 100

That’s the difference between scout and varmint mtr - mine is 7.5lb, 20” barrel and 13.75” lop. It still feels very good ergonomically.

Have been looking for a bolt action precision 22 for months now; savage, ruger, whatever.

& now after reading this thread I’ve settled on blowing the cash on a Vudoo. Thanks a lot guys, never would have known Vudoo existed and I wouldn’t have blown this cash without you.... dicks.

Have been looking for a bolt action precision 22 for months now; savage, ruger, whatever.

& now after reading this thread I’ve settled on blowing the cash on a Vudoo. Thanks a lot guys, never would have known Vudoo existed and I wouldn’t have blown this cash without you.... dicks.
GFY ! Your welcome now stock up on some real 22lr ammo

you are definitely in the buy once cry once crowd.

you are definitely in the buy once cry once crowd.

yep. Taught that by my mother at an early age when my father would go bananas because he bought some cheap ass piece of shit that would inevitably break & send him into the next dimension.

Last edited:
Need one anyway for my other rifles. I feel like a good spotting scope is one of those must haves.
Comes in handy.
FWIW I have a Celestron regal M80 with a 27x long eye relief , i can see 22 holes at 200 yards with good light 30 cal out to 300.
After that its good for seeing wind, marriage and maybe impact splashes.

Back
Top Bottom