• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger PC9

I was looking at one also along with the Keltec 9mm carbine. I was contemplating getting the Keltec but think I've changed my mind and going to get the Ruger PC9.

I agree, it feels right to me too. The gunsmith that runs my local gun shop says they are very reliable...I trust his word. I'm going tomorrow to put it on layaway and also have him install new night sights on my Glock.

I'm a big fan. The PC9 is a lot of fun to shoot. There's nothing wrong with the iron sights, but I put on an inexpensive red dot. It's more accurate than I am. Add a couple Glock mags, and you're good to go. Eats everything I've run through it. Always puts a smile on my face!

If you have some experience with a 10/22, the internals of this rifle will look very familiar.

It's not a 500 yd gun. But for having some fun at the range, or possibly for home defense, I would highly recommend the PC9. And did i mention the Glock mags? ;)

Not sure where you're located, but if you're anywhere near the North Shore, you're more than welcome to take it for a test drive.

Well, I put one on layaway today. The gun just feels really right to me.....like a K98 Mauser. It shoulders nicely and the sight picture suits me very well.
Will be picking it up next month...had a couple of other purchases that depleted the gun fund a bit.

Ruger PC 9mm Carbine with CHF threaded barrel for $441 shipped at Brownells, Inc. with code MEQ

I had one and had some problems with failure to eject properly a few times, but it was likely due to the crappy magazines I was using.

mine has run great. others have observed ejection issues not sure if those are strictly mag related or what but they're legit. the overall bolt movement is rather short so i've wondered if it just cycles too fast that everything has to be just right to get that empty to eject in time before bolt closes. that's speculative on my end. regardless it's a fantastic little rifle and if your model is having issues i'm sure ruger will get it right.

the barrel and receiver machining is impressive. the sights are great too.

I've got one and I like it. I put a red dot on it that I had laying around and it's a great plinker, kind of like a 10/22 on mild steroids. I swapped the charging handle to the left side and put in the glock magwell conversion. No issues feeding any ammo.

I've got one and I like it. I put a red dot on it that I had laying around and it's a great plinker, kind of like a 10/22 on mild steroids. I swapped the charging handle to the left side and put in the glock magwell conversion. No issues feeding any ammo.

Does it spit any powder or gas from the ejection port ?

None that I've noticed. I'm right handed, have not shot this from my left shoulder. The reason I moved the charging handle to the left side was so that my right hand never leaves its grip. Treating it kind of like a semi-auto pistol on a reload.

i am no longer running a red dot due to the usual shifting POI after barrel removal-reattachment. even with the barrel snug and cycling the action after re-attaching barrel, there still seems to be some POI shift especially out around 50 yards. it's not a deal-breaker for me and seems to happen with just about any breakdown rifle. so for this reason i'm using the iron sights since they're attached to the barrel. the sight picture is also phenomenal.

there are some folks out there now making a pic rail that replaces the rear sight. it's clever since keeps red dot with the barrel and thus no POI shift associated with the takedown procedure. the downside is one loses the sweet iron sights.

mine came with charging handle on the left. i like to have the CH on the R to minimize my chance of interfering with it, although with the PC carbine there's really no way one would have their hand up around the CH so i have been pondering moving it back to the left.

i am no longer running a red dot due to the usual shifting POI after barrel removal-reattachment. even with the barrel snug and cycling the action after re-attaching barrel, there still seems to be some POI shift especially out around 50 yards. it's not a deal-breaker for me and seems to happen with just about any breakdown rifle. ...
I just read over half a dozen threads on the Ruger takedown technology on various web sites.

Many, many of the 10/22 Takedown community haven't had this problem at all.
Many PC9 users also don't have it.
Some people (mostly 10/22's?) have had the problem but completely solved it by increasing the adjustment knob setting.

Adding clicks during initial alignment does vary by model -
the 10/22 is always supposed to get "one or two (1-2) more clicks",
but the PC9 manual doesn't call for any mandatory additional clicks.

However, both models' manual allow that "further adjustment" may be needed,
with no explanation of what causes that need.

If I was going to go the more-than-Ruger-manual-knob-clicks route
to eliminate takedown POI shift, I'd use a very deliberate incremental process
for either the 10/22 or PC9:
  • Remove barrel.
  • Add one (1) knob click.
  • Replace barrel.
  • Slingshot takedown bolt 3x.
  • Fire group from bench rest.
  • Remove barrel, replace barrel, slingshot 3x.
  • Fire group from bench rest.
  • If groups don't now coincide, repeat entire process.
Some people (not me) obsess over using a torque wrench to tighten the machine screw/hex bolt that secures the action into the buttstock to a repeatable tension. But on takedown models, that should be secondary to getting the adjustment knob tight enough to get the barrel secured repeatably to the receiver.

Hope this helps.

I shot 100 rounds of Federal 124 grain fmj and each shell had an inch triangle of powder on the casing and the ejection port was coated. I assume the blowback has something to do with this.

Other than that it functioned flawlessly with the sr9 mag. No chipping of the forward port from brass either. I have yet to shoot it with my Glock mags. Great gun.

I shot 100 rounds of Federal 124 grain fmj and each shell had an inch triangle of powder on the casing and the ejection port was coated. I assume the blowback has something to do with this.

Other than that it functioned flawlessly with the sr9 mag. No chipping of the forward port from brass either. I have yet to shoot it with my Glock mags. Great gun.

Thanks!

Yes blowback operated guns will leave residue on the cases. My Marlin Camp 9 would spit a little burning powder but the PC9 doesn't......probably a slightly tighter chamber so it retains it a bit more.

The PC9 does not like the U notch mags. I have had no issues with mine Im at about 800 rds in. All glock mags as long as they are square notch.

Thanks!

Yes blowback operated guns will leave residue on the cases. My Marlin Camp 9 would spit a little burning powder but the PC9 doesn't......probably a slightly tighter chamber so it retains it a bit more.
My Marlin Camp 9 blowback does this as well...black cases everywhere!

As an alternative, how about a 9mm carbine, with wood, that looks like an M1? Better still, it takes Beretta 92 magazines, so it could pair up with one of the more prolific handguns, and have plenty of pre-ban 15 round magazines.

prodotti_immagini_immagine_304.jpg

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/family.php?id=32

Back
Top Bottom