• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger PC9 First impressions !

1919FAN

NES Member
20180119_225019.jpg 20180121_153440.jpg 20180121_153321.jpg I got the call Friday from Mark at Shooting Supply in Westport that my ruger pc9 carbine I had on preorder came in. I got home immediately swapped over mag well to accept glock mags literally a 2 minute job. It basically has feel and balance of the 10-22 with a little more stout to it. I checked the trigger pull it was at 3.5-3.8 on a Lyman digital gauge . I like the fact that the bolt handle and mag release are ambi movable and even though I'm a righty I would like having the charging handle on the right side. I did a quick range test for function ran flawlessly with a bag full of asst glock mags and various 9mm ammo the ghost ring sight was spot on at least to 50 yds. I will add to this post with some scoped accuracy results hopefully this week. If you love 10-22s and was thinking of getting a pistol caliber carbine this guns for you, with a decent optic and a few volquartsen trigger parts you would have yourself a nice solid entry level pcc carbine for competition. Just look at the photo with 10-22 there basically the same size. I would like to thank Mark and guys from Shooting Supply for always finding me what Im looking for.

Last edited:
I saw stateline advertised $550 cash. Can I ask what mark charged you? I think I want one very soon.

Thanks

I was there Wednesday and asked about the PC9. The employee told me they had one coming in but it was already sold. Must have been yours.

I saw stateline advertised $550 cash. Can I ask what mark charged you? I think I want one very soon.

Thanks
It was $525.00 cash price I think the credit price was 540 but dont quote me, I have a keltec sub 2000 and after picking this one up I think the Ruger is way more gun for the money .Just the fact of a solid integral rail on the receiver was a big selling point to me.

It was $525.00 cash price I think the credit price was 540 but dont quote me, I have a keltec sub 2000 and after picking this one up I think the Ruger is way more gun for the money .Just the fact of a solid integral rail on the receiver was a big selling point to me.

Love that place, gonna give them a call.

Nice post and nice rifle.

Never had a takedown before, or a synthetic stock. But this looks real nice, and adds to my love of all things Ruger.

I got to hit the range today with Mike Spangler to test out the pc carbine for accuracy I loaded up some Hornady HAPs 115gr. over 6.4 grains of Alliant Power Pistol we shot groups at 50yds and 100 I tossed the 100 yard pic by accident the pic shown is 50 yards off the bench.I used a cheap simmons 4-12 scope for testing at 100 groups ran about 3" which I believe can be shrunk with load development and better glass and a little trigger work . We passed the gun back and forth mutiple times and different ranges with pretty much the same result it will make a great gun for home defense even for coyote and woodchuck at ranges under 100 and its also a fun affordable plinker. 20180204_210209.jpg

Definitely a cool little carbine.
By the way that was 12 or 13 shots in that group pictured.
That little carbine ran sweet with those loads and some factory 124 grain.

I got to hit the range today with Mike Spangler to test out the pc carbine for accuracy I loaded up some Hornady HAPs 115gr. over 6.4 grains of Alliant Power Pistol we shot groups at 50yds and 100 I tossed the 100 yard pic by accident the pic shown is 50 yards off the bench.I used a cheap simmons 4-12 scope for testing at 100 groups ran about 3" which I believe can be shrunk with load development and better glass and a little trigger work . We passed the gun back and forth mutiple times and different ranges with pretty much the same result it will make a great gun for home defense even for coyote and woodchuck at ranges under 100 and its also a fun affordable plinker.View attachment 220648

Thanks for the range report! I've got the itch for one of these. I can't believe how low they're priced.

I don’t see any reason why you can’t buy a threaded barrel version in MA? Just order online and have your favorite shop handle the transfer. I’m only counting 2 evil features- detachable mag and threaded barrel (unless I’m missing something).

Only thing I can think of is if they don’t sell a version of the threaded barrel rifle with a 10rd mag?

I haven't had any problems with mine with 115 and 124s reloads and factory but I was using a pre ban Glock 33rnd happy stick. I did notice in the video he never tighten the barrel lock nut though so far I love it but I will try some 147s and see how it runs.

Shooters Outpost has a few of these in finally. If I didn't already have a pair of .327 mags on layaway I would have pulled the trigger on one...

Fun fact about these
So when I stripped mine out to clean it, I noticed the buffer weight or counter weight or whatever you want to call it had a single digit number stamped on it.
I'm assuming this # is to correspond with the caliber fired.
This is a modular rifle when you break it down.
Interchangeable mag wells to accept not only different 9mm mags, but different calibers as well.
I can see down the line, changing out the mag well insert, buffer weight, bolt or bolt face and a different fore end and now you have a .40, or .45.
Ruger now offers a 3rd mag well insert, albeit for the ruger american pistol mags, but I can see more coming.
Once Tandemkross, boyds and Volquartsen start making stuff for this, it'll be a centerfire version of the 10/22.
Nice little rifle.

Fun fact about these
So when I stripped mine out to clean it, I noticed the buffer weight or counter weight or whatever you want to call it had a single digit number stamped on it.
I'm assuming this # is to correspond with the caliber fired.
This is a modular rifle when you break it down.
Interchangeable mag wells to accept not only different 9mm mags, but different calibers as well.
I can see down the line, changing out the mag well insert, buffer weight, bolt or bolt face and a different fore end and now you have a .40, or .45.
Ruger now offers a 3rd mag well insert, albeit for the ruger american pistol mags, but I can see more coming.
Once Tandemkross, boyds and Volquartsen start making stuff for this, it'll be a centerfire version of the 10/22.
Nice little rifle.

That would be pretty cool if this ended up as a multi-cal PCC.

I don’t see any reason why you can’t buy a threaded barrel version in MA? Just order online and have your favorite shop handle the transfer. I’m only counting 2 evil features- detachable mag and threaded barrel (unless I’m missing something).

Only thing I can think of is if they don’t sell a version of the threaded barrel rifle with a 10rd mag?
Detachable mag is not an evil feature, it is a prerequisite for counting evil features. Your typical AR15 has one feature, the pistol grip. The feature count is one with the threaded barrel which is less than two so not an AW.

Picked up my PC9 yesterday. Sweet shooting rifle! Glock mag well installed, extended the stock by one spacer and tested all my Glock mags for fit.

Had one feeding issue with a Korean 33rnd mag that had some untrimmed plastic flash at the top front and it was causing the ammo to change feed angle. I trimmed it up and smoothed it out. Will retest today.

I think I'm going to like this gun real well. Now to get a can for the front.

Back
Top Bottom