Ruger pc carbine and evil features

I was looking at the Ruger pc carbine with a threaded barrel. Because it has a fixed stock and no pistol grip is it still required to get the brake pinned and welded?

i was hoping that since it only has a detachable magazine the evil count was low enough that I didn’t need to get it welded. Does anyone know if it would be required to be welded?

Last edited:
You’re good since there are no other features other than a detachable magazine, you don’t need to do anything to the muzzle device. I’m not familiar with those rifles so just make sure the barrel is 16” or longer without the muzzle device installed. Otherwise you would violate federal law.
the AWB for rifles is....

Rifles:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

And the law doesn’t say it needs to be welded. All it says it that there can’t be usable threads and must be permanently attached. It does not say how.

Last edited:
Just so you know, there is also a newer version with a pistol grip, fixed stock, non-threaded barrel and M-Lok handguard that is Mass compliant. MSRP is around $800 and street price is around $650. The original version is about $450 street price now but it has a tiny rail that won't fit a light and the sling stud is directly behind it. If you're planning to add a light and/or a sling then you might need one of the rail adapter kits from Midwest Industries or Catalyst Arms for another $100 or look into the the one with the free float handguard.

I'm not sure I see any point to a threaded barrel on a PC rifle, there is no recoil and the flash is extremely minimal.

You want them on a rifle caliber, as those can flash fiercely (a 16 inch 5.56 has a real notable flash even in daylight).. but it's just added tacticool weight in a PC if you ask me, even in NH I would prefer a non threaded PC carbine.

I'm not sure I see any point to a threaded barrel on a PC rifle, there is no recoil and the flash is extremely minimal.

You want them on a rifle caliber, as those can flash fiercely (a 16 inch 5.56 has a real notable flash even in daylight).. but it's just added tacticool weight in a PC if you ask me, even in NH I would prefer a non threaded PC carbine.
The sole purpose of the threaded barrel on the PCC is for a can.

Any reason the xl version would be better or worse?

I think the XL is more for pistol builds.

I will say that the disagreement is purely Massachusetts though.

I am able to can with the best of em. Just haven’t been able to justify $800 and year when cranking off a few rounds at predators any time of night is a non issue for me. Saving for decent NV atm...

And the law doesn’t say it needs to be welded. All it says it that there can’t be usable threads and must be permanently attached. It does not say how.

ATF went with two options during the 94-04 ban; blind pinned (drilled, pinned, welded over) or soldered with a melting point over 1100* (silver solder, used on a LOT of Colts during and before the ban). The ATF still goes by this standard with regards to barrel length and "permanently" attached muzzle devices. That's what most people went with in MA pre-Maura (and post-Maura for that matter) but the former tends to be preferable to the latter, to preserve the integrity of the steel and not ruin the heat treatment of the barrel (not an issue for an experienced smith, whether professional or DIY'er).

Before the 94 ban, but after the 89 ban, a lot of rifles came in with thread caps simply tack-welded on with a blob in one or two spots along the rim. During and after the ban, not so much.

Thanks for the info, I do mostly indoor shooting at the range so I have been eyeing the Kaw Valley Standard Linear comp. I'm stil not 100% sure if it needs to be welded but I got some time to find out.

They make these things called suppressors. Ever hear of em?

🙄

Last edited:
Another option for a linear compensator is the Black River Tactical covert comp.

I haven’t installed one yet and can’t say how they compare to the Kaw Valley one. But it’s another option.

ATF went with two options during the 94-04 ban; blind pinned (drilled, pinned, welded over) or soldered with a melting point over 1100* (silver solder, used on a LOT of Colts during and before the ban). The ATF still goes by this standard with regards to barrel length and "permanently" attached muzzle devices. That's what most people went with in MA pre-Maura (and post-Maura for that matter) but the former tends to be preferable to the latter, to preserve the integrity of the steel and not ruin the heat treatment of the barrel (not an issue for an experienced smith, whether professional or DIY'er).

Before the 94 ban, but after the 89 ban, a lot of rifles came in with thread caps simply tack-welded on with a blob in one or two spots along the rim. During and after the ban, not so much.
That’s correct about what they did during the federal ban and is definitely good for ATF standard. (I have a 14.5” barrel with a pinned and welded comp to reach 16”). The MA AWB didn’t exactly copy the entire thing word for word leaving it open for interpretation.
Who decides what’s permanent? If I need a vise, wrenches, cutting wheel, grinder, torch or anything else then I would think it’s good to go.

I put a kaw valley linear comp on a 9mm AR sbr. That was a big improvement over a brake or even straight barrel. A pc9 in a standard stock will not have to be pinned

and many of us just don't give a f*** any more :)
Couldn't agree more. We looked at it as an alternative to our shotguns for my wife to use as a home defense weapon, but it would require adding another caliber to our firearms inventory. We chose the stainless Mini 14 ranch rifle instead since we already have the cartridge in our inventory (my bolt action Savage .223). Besides, .223 is more effective in combat, especially if the bad guys are wearing body armor.

Cool ya I get it on a suppressor if that's your plan and you can get one, usually you don't hear about suppressors in the same context of AWB regs.

Cool ya I get it on a suppressor if that's your plan and you can get one, usually you don't hear about suppressors in the same context of AWB regs.
My older daughter's heavy-barrel Savage .22 bolt-action rifle is threaded for a suppressor. No chance of legally owning one in MA even with an ATF tax stamp unless you are LE.

Huh....no kidding? I have that comp on my FM upper. Didn't notice any immediate reduction, but that could be because I'm indoors and the sound is just reflecting off the back wall. From what I gather, the noise isn't so much reduced as it is directed forward, so possibly perceived less by the shooter when outdoors. Still, I'll have to test out some subsonics to see what happens.

Right, but you said even if you lived in NH you wouldn't want a threaded PCC, and you asked why they exist--that's a big part of it.

Subsonic 45 ACP with a suppressor is a nice package.

Back
Top Bottom