Ruger PC-9 Carbine and Preban Glock Mags

Hi all,

New to the forum and shooting. Been looking at the Ruger PC 9. I am wondering, is anyone having problems with using Preban Glock Mags in it? I've read that the Kel Tec Sub 2000 has some problems with fitting Preban mags which has me looking at the Ruger PC 9.

Thanks,

Phil

I have been using preban square notch 19 and 17’s in my ruger PCC without a single issue over 1k rounds through it. Such a fun gun to shoot. I acquired it to “save” money on ammo cost back when 9mm was .17 cents a round. Jokes on me.

Last edited:
Hi all,

New to the forum and shooting. Been looking at the Ruger PC 9. I am wondering, is anyone having problems with using Preban Glock Mags in it? I've read that the Kel Tec Sub 2000 has some problems with fitting Preban mags which has me looking at the Ruger PC 9.

Thanks,

Phil
My nephew bought a PC9 and he uses glock square notch magazines with it. No failures to feed but, there is a problem with the rifle. His wife shot it at the range, now it's her rifle. The same thing happened with his Sig P365, so if you've got a lady, keep her away from your PC9. Oh and he says it easliy rings the 100 yard steel as well.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks,
save your hi caps; they are grail. cross armory makes a mag coupler in which you attach 10 round or more at the base plate and there is a side attachment out there for more mags. using 10 rd mags you can go from 20 to 40 rounds with no legal problems . i have plenty of hi cap mags but use this system for everyday use in my ar 15 carbine conversion

I have two of them, one in CT in CT legal configuration, the other in GA with free state configuration.
They both run any Glock mags I want to drop into them.

The charging handle and the mag release are designed so that you can swap them from side to side.
I swapped the charging handles to the left.

I initially moved the mag release to the right, that won't work on older Glock mags which have only a single cut for the magazine release.
That's the only magazine consideration I've had to have for either of these guns.

The preban problem with the Keltec Sub 2000 is that the older U-notch are too short (from mag catch to baseplate) for the grip magwell, which happens to be the same length as the current gen Glock it corresponds to. IE. G19 Sub 2000 has a G19 sized grip, and so on. When you insert the mag, it goes in all the way to the baseplate and will won't lock into the mag catch. Preban square notches work, as those seem to be longer in the mag tube. I had the same problem with a P80 G19 (based off of gen 3 Glock), where the U-notches were not long enough to catch in place.

With the Ruger PC carbine, the magwell will easily clear a G19 mag with room to spare, so I don't think you'd have any of those issues. It's a traditional magwell, not a magwell+grip. I have an AR9 that should be fairly similar with magwell depth, and U-notches lock in just fine with about an inch to spare.

I think this is one with a G26 mag in it, so I think you shouldn't have any issues with prebans.

Ruger-PC-Carbine-Glock-5.jpg

The preban problem with the Keltec Sub 2000 is that the older U-notch are too short (from mag catch to baseplate) for the grip magwell, which happens to be the same length as the current gen Glock it corresponds to. IE. G19 Sub 2000 has a G19 sized grip, and so on. When you insert the mag, it goes in all the way to the baseplate and will won't lock into the mag catch. Preban square notches work, as those seem to be longer in the mag tube. I had the same problem with a P80 G19 (based off of gen 3 Glock), where the U-notches were not long enough to catch in place.

With the Ruger PC carbine, the magwell will easily clear a G19 mag with room to spare, so I don't think you'd have any of those issues. It's a traditional magwell, not a magwell+grip. I have an AR9 that should be fairly similar with magwell depth, and U-notches lock in just fine with about an inch to spare.

I think this is one with a G26 mag in it, so I think you shouldn't have any issues with prebans.

Ruger-PC-Carbine-Glock-5.jpg
This is exactly the issue I had with the Vector, I just sanded the base plates down till the f***ers locked in!

I think the PC9 is very forgiving with the mags. I ran mine with factory Glock, 30 round Glock style USA Mags, Magpul Glock and the factory Ruger mag. Runs em all no problem.

This is exactly the issue I had with the Vector, I just sanded the base plates down till the f***ers locked in!

With the gen 2 Sub 2000, you'd have to go down at least 4mm to get the right clearance, and that's a significant modification. I don't think the baseplates would take it without losing structural integrity, so the only option is to sand the grip. I sold mine before making that decision. I did sand my P80 grip down so the prebans would lock, but I found that a very tight lockup ending up mangling the mag catch notch on the mag, so I stopped using the prebans in the P80. Just for the AR9 now, and only for the range. I don't trust U-notches not to fail when you need them.

Mikehoncho: This is what I'm talking about. Preban U-notch next to a modern ETS mag. Both G19. The red lines from mag base to top hip are the same length.

20181014_212613.jpg

With the gen 2 Sub 2000, you'd have to go down at least 4mm to get the right clearance, and that's a significant modification. I don't think the baseplates would take it without losing structural integrity, so the only option is to sand the grip. I sold mine before making that decision. I did sand my P80 grip down so the prebans would lock, but I found that a very tight lockup ending up mangling the mag catch notch on the mag, so I stopped using the prebans in the P80. Just for the AR9 now, and only for the range. I don't trust U-notches not to fail when you need them.

Mikehoncho: This is what I'm talking about. Preban U-notch next to a modern ETS mag. Both G19. The red lines from mag base to top hip are the same length.

View attachment 438036
I don't know how much I had to sand them down, never really measured it. Would just sand a little, try it and repeat until they locked in. I was going to try trimming the bottom of the Vectors mag at first but came to my senses LOL. Can always replace the mag baseplates if it didn't work.

View attachment 438036
Can you flip those around and compare the mag catch notch?

Can you flip those around and compare the mag catch notch?

Not immediately. That pic is old from when I was figuring this out with my Sub2000 a year or two ago on this very forum. But the difference in mag catch position is approximately the same as the difference in hip height when I eyeballed it back then.

I bought one just before Xmas. The manual specifically states the U notch Glock mags won't work. I have some of those but have not tried them since I have enough square notch mags.

I have been using preban square notch 19 and 17’s in my ruger PCC without a single issue over 1k rounds through it. Such a fun gun to shoot. I acquired it to “save” money on ammo cost back when 9mm was .17 cents a round. Jokes on me.
Do you have to switch the mag release button from left to the right to make it work ?
Mine only worked with the new 10 round mag with the cut outs on each side , but NOT with the preban square notch 19 and 17's with only ONE CUT OUT on the left side of the mags to grab.

Back
Top Bottom