• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger p345 modification

I'm not positive this is the right forum since this isn't a build, but it does involve pistol modification.

I don't quite have the funds to buy a new pistol of a smaller size to carry. I don't want to sell this Ruger since it was my first firearm and it was bought for me by my father. I plan to have it the rest of my life.

The length of the barrel isn't an issue for me, but the grip appears to be a little long for concealment. I'm sure with the right holster it can be done, but I was looking for an upper edge.

I'm curious if anyone has ever shortened their grips? It looks as the work required would be cutting the bottom of the grip to the exact shape as it is now, and taking the same amount off the bottom of the magazine and re attach the bottom plate to it. I was thinking about an inch or so, maybe a little less along the lines of 3/4 inch or something.

Am I just talking stupid, or is this worth a shot? Has anyone done anything similar to this? Is modifying a pistol illegal?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

I wouldn't try it - especially if this has sentimental value. If you're dedicated to giving it a whirl, check out Ruger Forums - perhaps someone has done it. However, I think you can solve your CCW issues with some good holster shopping. I've personally CCW'd everything from a Glock22, to a full sized 1911 and a Sig220. It can be done. If you get a chance, check out Personal Defense TV, Massad Ayoob is a huge fan of the P345 and shows examples of CCW with this pistol all the time...

since it has sentimental value, and you dont want to buy a new gun...i wouldnt take the chance on cutting this gun up....buy a good holster. MTAC or if you can find a Versa Max II without a rediculous wait, get that.

Thanks for the contributions. You guys are right, I shouldn't take the chance of making this firearm a wall decoration.

Ill check out the recommended holsters.

Derek

Back
Top Bottom